4.5.3/4.6.0 very slow to spool up after a period of idleness

DVBLink TVSource is discussed here!

4.5.3/4.6.0 very slow to spool up after a period of idleness

Postby dduk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:14 pm

I have noticed this problem since getting 4.5.3 to work on Server 2012.

Essentially, if no demands have been made on the service after a prolonged period of time, any subsequent requests are met with a long wait and ultimately a PlayReady message. As soon as the PlayReady message is shown, the channel can be changed and the service jumps straight back into life. During this idleness, the web UI is also unavailable.

This behaviour is also present on 4.6.0.

Please note that in order to get the service working on Server 2012, I have deleted the sat2ip.dev file.

Logs attached.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
dvblink_server.zip
(17.74 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
dduk

Re: 4.5.3/4.6.0 very slow to spool up after a period of idle

Postby Oberon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Difficult to say. I see a large amount failed network send attempts, which might be related to your network configuration - for example IP address lease time or time.
On the other hand there are also signal erorrs reported. It might be that if you are using several tuners one of them has issue with the signal or antenna.
In any case log with info level may provide better information for troubleshooting.
Oberon

Postby dduk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Oberon,

Thanks for the swift reply.

My apologies; I thought the server was already in info logging mode. I have now placed it into info mode and will present another log when the issue returns.

In the mean time, I will perform some network checks and make sure that all tuners are behaving properly.

Thanks again.
dduk

Postby dduk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:00 am

Oberon,

You were bang-on with the broken tuner theory; one of the tuners in one of my dual tuner cards is indeed dead, or at least dead to the application. Odd, because I only updated to 4.6.0 a few days ago and it was working fine then.

I've logged on to the web UI this morning, and whilst it did take a little bit of time to get going, it certainly wasn't as long as it used to be.

The broken tuner was the 'master' in a grouping that I've since removed, but I did notice something unusual. When the tuner was the master, I had selected several settings such as 'stop stream when idle'. When I removed this tuner, the next one in the list became 'master', but these settings were not retained. I don't think it's relevant to the original problem, but I wanted to make sure that when changing these advanced settings on a master tuner in the group, they are definitely cloned to the other tuners. This goes for the EIT scanner too.
dduk

Postby Oberon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:03 pm

EIT scanner settings are cloned, irrelevant to all slaves as slaves do not scan EPG.
Advanced tuner settings are not cloned at the moment. We will put it onto our todo list.
Oberon

Postby dduk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks for the confirmation.

Further to the original problem, it turns out the tuner is not dead after all. After removing from the group, I performed a scan on it and it's working perfectly. It's as if something went awry in the group. I've since added it back and all is well.

I'm happy that the issue is resolved for now, but if you'd like any logs or files from my setup, I'd be more than happy to send them over.
dduk

Postby realbigmike » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:18 am

Oberon wrote:EIT scanner settings are cloned, irrelevant to all slaves as slaves do not scan EPG.
Advanced tuner settings are not cloned at the moment. We will put it onto our todo list.

This is not a small bit of info, OMG.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe this is why I have been suffering. I have been in pain since I installed dvblink, I dont think there has been 1 day it worked properly and this could be why. Imagine if your recordings stopped randomly and you had to restart dvblink service over and over every day. That is where I am at.
Windows 7 64 DVBlink server 5.5
Windows 7 64bit remote client with DVBlink Network Client
TVsource
Android Client
Raspberry Pi 2 Client is here: http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=28989
realbigmike

Postby tony_park » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:52 am

Oberon wrote:EIT scanner settings are cloned, irrelevant to all slaves as slaves do not scan EPG.

Please can you confirm, what constitutes advanced tuner settings?
Windows 7 Media Center in Evolve Media PC Case
Intel i3 HD2000
Dreambox Clone - CCCam 2.1.3,
TSB 6985,
Plugin: Acamd 0.6.2.0
TV Source 5.5.0
tony_park

Postby dduk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:01 am

Oberon,

Unfortunately this problem has returned, this time on a different tuner on a different card. The tuner that was exhibiting the original issue is now working fine.

Something odd that I did notice is that tuners occasionally disappear from the grouped list and appear as an unallocated tuner beneath. The space in the group that they used to occupy is then replaced with a 'device not found' message. Trying to delete this place holder returns an error. Rebooting the server returned the device into the group, but it's then never able to tune a stream; it has to be manually deleted then re-added. I think this might've been the same problem as the original issue.

I'm at work at the moment, but when I return home, I'll attach an extended info log.

Also, the original-original issue of the slow wake time is still present. In both requesting a stream from MCE or requesting the web UI.
dduk

Postby dduk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Log attached. Again, the UI took some time to respond so that I could download this.
Attachments
dvblink-log-20130808-1902.zip
(100.92 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
dduk

Postby realbigmike » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:50 am

Dduk I have similar problems, not so much anymore after force saving the advanced settings. This has made a BIG change in reliability.
The tuners vanishing happens much less often to me now.
When the webif is slow and crashing, I have 2 potential fixes:
1- keep the number of channels under 300
2- backup settings, uninstall everything, reinstall, then restore settings. This does wonders to repair an installation. One time this repaired a dvblink installation that was less than 1 week old.

Here are my advanced tuner settings which made things so much better:
Retry tuning on no signal lock: ON
Stop stream when idle: OFF
Repeat diseqc command: OFF
Wait for stream on tune: ON

After I run EPG Collector I think there is a tuner problem caused because of this setting:
Windows 7 64 DVBlink server 5.5
Windows 7 64bit remote client with DVBlink Network Client
TVsource
Android Client
Raspberry Pi 2 Client is here: http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=28989
realbigmike

Postby dduk » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I'm not sure they'll do much good:

realbigmike wrote:1- keep the number of channels under 300

I have 60

realbigmike wrote:2- backup settings, uninstall everything, reinstall, then restore settings. This does wonders to repair an installation. One time this repaired a dvblink installation that was less than 1 week old.

I will give this a go, but I think it happens pretty much out of the box with zero config

realbigmike wrote:Here are my advanced tuner settings which made things so much better:
Retry tuning on no signal lock: ON
Repeat diseqc command: OFF
Wait for stream on tune: ON

This is how I like to have my settings too.
dduk

Postby dduk » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 am

Oberon,

Are you able to confirm that this (slow start up), or tuner grouping/vanishing bug is being investigated?

I know you guys will respond quickly if it's something you can answer straight away, but it'll be good from a user's point of view to know that it is being looked into.

As always, I can re-enable remote access for your devs should they wish to take a look.
dduk

Postby Oberon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:15 am

The tuner vanishing issue is not being investigated. I think it is outside of our scope/influence. This means that tuner gets reinitialized on the fly and gets a different identity (device path). There is no way we can find the tuner back if its device path changes (that suggests an issue in the tuner drivers to me).
Oberon

Postby dduk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 am

Oberon wrote:The tuner vanishing issue is not being investigated. I think it is outside of our scope/influence. This means that tuner gets reinitialized on the fly and gets a different identity (device path). There is no way we can find the tuner back if its device path changes (that suggests an issue in the tuner drivers to me).

Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm not sure it's a driver issue since the problem only manifests when changing settings in the UI. Also, I've been using the same hardware since v3.x days and this has only become an issue with v4.6. Also, the device path seems unchanged. This can be confirmed if the service is restarted - the device that used to fill the 'device not present' slot returns to it.

I'll keep an eye on this situation. If the problem returns, I'll post more logs with screenshots.
dduk

Next

Return to DVBLink TVSource