DVBlink TVSource and Connect! in Hyper-V

DVBLink TVSource is discussed here!

DVBlink TVSource and Connect! in Hyper-V

Postby Dabhappy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:32 am

Hi, I am new to DVBLogic and want to know if it is possible to have a PCI-e terrestrial/Sat card (with WQHL DBA drivers) installed in a Hyper-V 2012 host and run TV Source and Connect! either both in Virtual 2012 guest VMs or TVSource on the Host and Connect! in a 2012 guest VM?

Sorry if this is something that has already posted, but I couldn't find any specific answers.
Dabhappy

Re: DVBlink TVSource and Connect! in Hyper-V

Postby Gumby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:48 pm

Oberon or someone who does DVBLink support will have to chime in to confirm but when I was setting up DVBLink and had some problems getting started I received a response stating

"Also please note that DVBLink is incompatible with virtualized environment."

So it appears that Hyper-V, Qemu, VMWare, etc are not supported
Gumby

Postby x1x1x1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:40 am

Hyper-V won't allow you to see the TV Tuner within the virtual machine, so there wouldn't be much point in running TV Source etc on a VM.
I run TVSource and Connect Server on Server 2012 Standard, which is also running a VM environment, and this works fine.
Server: DVBLink 6 & Digiguide / Windows 10 / Digital Devices Octopus S2 (Quad)
Clients: Windows 10, Surface Pro 2, Surface Pro 3, R Pi, Intel NUC OpenElec KODI
x1x1x1

Postby Gumby » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 am

x1x1x1 is correct in his statement that hyper-v wont allow passthrough of the ops PCI-E tuner. I just wanted to let others know in case they read this thread that it is possible to pass through USB devices (including dvb tuners) using addon software on a hyper-v server
Gumby

Postby Dabhappy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks for the info. Makes sense that the PCI-e card will not be available to the VMs. Very helpful to know that TVSource and Connect! will run in the Host O/S with Hyper-V enabled. I will get on and set this up now.
Dabhappy

Postby r1_lad » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:52 pm

You could always use ESXi as the host OS. This supports PCI passthrough if your motherboard supports VT-d. Then you can pass the PCIe card through to the VM.
r1_lad

Postby r1_lad » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Also, whilst it's not explicitly supported in a virtualised environment DVBLink does work in one. I have it running on ESXi 5.0 with Windows 7 as the guest OS. I have eight VMs running on the host but initially experienced stuttering so have the vmdk for the DVBlink VM on it's own SSD.
r1_lad

Return to DVBLink TVSource