Dvblink for XBMC

DVBLink Remote API clients and tools

Dvblink for XBMC

Postby DSD » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 pm

I've developed an XBMC add-on for DVBlink.
It lists all available channels on your DVBlink Connect Server and streams them to your XBMC.

You can install this add-on in XBMC by downloading it and then going to System - Add-ons - Install from zip file.
You then need to edit the settings for the add-on, this is done by selecting DVBlink and pressing C or right click on the add-on and select Edit add-on settings.

UPDATE:

Version 1.2.6
Download the new version here: http://www.dsd.se/plugin.video.dvblink-1.2.6.zip
You need to install it the same way as stated above.

Changelog:
- Changed info about what's playing so it's shown above the channel name (if you press Enter while watching a channel).
- UTF-8 decoding is done when loading cached channels.
- Some extra errorhandling has been added.
- Minor bugfixes.

Version 1.2.5
Download the new version here: http://www.dsd.se/plugin.video.dvblink-1.2.5.zip

Changelog:
- Added support for different streaming types such as HLS and ASF.
- A new setting is added for stream type, which means that you can select the type you want.
- A new setting is also added for caching the channel list, this is useful when running the add-on on devices with a weak CPU (Raspberry Pi).
- Loading time when the channel list is constructed is improved on devices such as Raspberry Pi.
- Playback on the Raspberry Pi is improved by using HLS streaming.
- Channel logos are now properly loaded.
- An error when showing channel EPG on MAC should now be fixed (please test and verify this).
- When streaming a channel, the program that's currently playing is shown after the channel name in XBMC (when moving the mouse or pressing pause).

Most of the added functionality in this release is for the Raspberry Pi.
With this version you can actually run the add-on on the RPI without any problems.
Playback is smooth and load time is immensely improved and I've gotten the time down to 7-8 seconds when using cached channel list.
After the initial load the load time is even better and down to about 5 seconds.
These figures will vary depending on the amount of channels, for instance I have 116 channels.

The cached channel list is activated through the add-on settings.
When selected the next time you run the add-on it will check if there is a channels.xml file present in the channels folder.
If it's not, then the channel list is loaded by asking the DVBLink Connect Server (same as before) and then saving the list to channels.xml.
The next time you run the add-on it will find the channels.xml and use that instead of asking the server.

When you deselect the cached channels setting, the next time you run the add-on the channels.xml file is removed and channels are loaded by asking the server.

For those of you that are running the add-on on the Raspberry Pi need to use the Raspbmc in order to run the add-on.
You also need to select the stream type HLS (in the add-on settings). The "Http Live Streaming" (HLS) stream type is the same one that is used on the Iphone and Ipad when running the DVBLink app.
The HLS stream might use a bit more power on your server when transcoding the stream.

Version 1.2.4
Download the new version here: http://www.dsd.se/plugin.video.dvblink-1.2.4.zip

Changelog:
- The playback was broken in version 1.2.3, and should now work.
- Added support for channel logos (for more info see below).

Channel logos.
In order for channel logos to work you have to download and place those logos that you want to use in the folder "\Resources\channels" which is located under the following path on Windows:
%appdata%\xbmc\addons\plugin.video.dvblink\resources\channels

Every channel that you put in this folder has to have the exact name of the channel and the file extension of ".png".
My recommendation is that you go to http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/tvcountry/tvcountry.html and look for the channel logos that you want and save them in the "\Resources\channels" folder.

Due to how XBMC is caching thumbnails, if you already added a channel logo and want to change that, you might have some trouble, but there are ways to fix that (some are a bit tricky)...

There is a add-on setting which controls if the add-on should look for channel logos or not. By default this setting is set to False, meaning that the add-on will not look for channel logos.

ImageImageImage

Version 1.2.3
I've temporarily removed the 1.2.3 version since it still has playback issues.

Download the new version here: http://www.dsd.se/plugin.video.dvblink-1.2.3.zip

Changelog:
- A few bugs have been fixed regarding playback.

Version 1.2.2
Download the new version here: http://www.dsd.se/plugin.video.dvblink-1.2.2.zip

Please note that this version is a test version which means that this version will be a bit more shaky than previous versions.
Should you find a bug then please let me know and I will do my best to fix this in the upcoming version.

It would be great if anyone running a Raspberry Pi could test the transcoding and let me know if it works.
Also anyone with channel names that have strange characters are welcome to test the new version, the problem should now be gone...

Changelog:

- Improved errorhandling for DVBLink error, they are now presented in plain text.
- Some changes has been made to how channel names are handled this due to channels with special characters.
- You can now turn on/off subtitles when streaming a channel if subtitles are supported, a new setting is added.
- Added support for transcoding using the protocol RTSP and MPEG4 with AAC audio. A new section is added in settings.
- The DVBLink Client ID can now be changed through settings, this is usable when running several devices with the XBMC add-on in the same network.
- The value of the password is now masked in the settings dialog.
- Dutch translation has been updated (thanks to CrashingDutchman).

I've put together some more information about the changes that was made in this version.

Settings
There are a few new settings in this version.
As you can see from the screenshot below the settings dialog is now divided into two sections "General" and "Advanced".
ImageImage
"General" has the settings that deals with connection and subtitles. The other section "Advanced" deals with transcoding.
When the transcoding option is selected the add-on will instruct the DVBLink Connect Server to stream using the RTSP protocol and
the other settings such as height, width and bitrate are also factors that are sent to the server when the transcoding is started.
When the transcoding option is not selected, then the add-on will instruct the server to send a raw http stream which means that
the stream will be in MPEG2 or H264 with a much higher bitrate. This is recommended for streaming in the same network.

Version 1.2.1
Download the new version here: http://www.dsd.se/plugin.video.dvblink-1.2.1.zip

Changelog:
- The streaming of a selected channel was broken in version 1.2.0, this was due to data being cut off when parsed.

Version 1.2.0
Download the new version here: http://www.dsd.se/plugin.video.dvblink-1.2.0.zip

Changelog:
- The add-on now handles channel names with special characters, thanks to Wal.
- Streaming is now stopped when the add-on is started and this also occurs when the playback of a channel is stopped.

Version 1.1.0
Download the new version here: http://www.dsd.se/plugin.video.dvblink-1.1.0.zip

Changelog:
- The add-on now uses the DVBLogics python classes for calling DVBLink Connect Server.
- Added support for EPG.
You can invoke the context menu with EPG info by pressing C or by clicking the right mousebutton.
- Added support for Dutch language.

[This version is no longer available]
Here's a link to the add-on: http://www.dsd.se/plugin.video.dvblink.zip

I've only tested this add-on on XBMC 11 (Eden) so anything else is not recommended.

Comments are welcome :)
Last edited by DSD on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.
DSD

Re: Dvblink for XBMC

Postby fuzzysb » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Nice one, i take it from looking at the code that this is for direct streaming only, not indirect?
fuzzysb

Postby DSD » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:02 pm

fuzzysb wrote:Nice one, i take it from looking at the code that this is for direct streaming only, not indirect?

Yes that's correct, it's direct streaming.
It parses the m3u playlist which it gets through the DVBlink Remote Api.
DSD

Postby Muppet99 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:00 am

Tnx. i will perform some test asap.

Just upgrading my backend (hp proliants are going out). Meanwhile i took the time to make a dutch translation:

language file dutch
Code: Select all
<string id="30000">Video kwaliteit</string>
   <string id="30001">Lijst Grootte</string>

<string id="30100">Laag</string>
    <string id="30101">Midden</string>
    <string id="30102">Hoog</string>
    <string id="30103">HD</string>

<string id="30200">Volgende Pagina...</string>

<string id="30300">Zoeken</string>
    <string id="30301">Fout</string>
    <string id="30302">De zoek string was leeg</string>
    <string id="30403">Zoekende...</string>

<string id="30500">Debug</string>
   <string id="30501">Context menu label</string>
   <string id="30502">URL video kwaliteit</string>
   <string id="30503">Command</string>

<string id="30600">Adres of netwerk probleem. Het zal vanzelf beter worden, als je even wacht.</string>

<string id="40001">Serveradress</string>
   <string id="40002">Poort</string>
   <string id="40003">Gebruikersnaam</string>
   <string id="40004">Wachtwoord</string>

<string id="40005">Je moet het serveradres opgeven van je DVBlink Connect Server.</string>
   <string id="40006">Je moet het juiste poortnummer opgeven van je DVBlink Connect Server.</string>
   <string id="40007">Je moet een gebruikersnaam invoeren voor je DVBlink Connect Server.</string>

addon.xml
Code: Select all
<summary lang="nl">Bekijk content vanaf je DVBlink Connect Server.</summary>
<description lang="nl">Met deze plugin kun je content streamen van je DVBlink Connect Server.</description>

Hope it's usefull. If you need some more dutch translations let me know.
If it broken, it's fun. No issue is unsolvable.
When it's fixed it's a problem
Muppet99

Postby DSD » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks for the translation, I will put it in the coming version.
The coming version will also contain support for retrieving EPG by bringing up the context menu (either by pressing C or right clicking with the mouse) when you are standing on a specific channel.
See images below:

Here's a new text that you can help me translate to dutch if you want. :)
<string id="40008">Show EPG</string>

Also I've incorporated the python classes that DVBLogic released so it's much more in sync with how other DVBLink apps work with the DVBLogic Connect Server.

When I have the dutch translation of the "Show EPG" I think I might be able to release version 1.1.0 of the add-on.
DSD

Postby Muppet99 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Hereby the dutch translation for Show EPG --> Toon Gids
<string id="40008">Toon Gids</string>

Just keep me posted on more translations. And again keep up the good work. :)
If it broken, it's fun. No issue is unsolvable.
When it's fixed it's a problem
Muppet99

Postby K405 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Awesome!!

Thank you very much, this is highly appreciated.

Very cool! 8)
K405

Postby DSD » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:21 pm

I've released a new version of the add-on and updated the first post with a new link to the new version.
Please let me know what you think. :)

Also there is a new entry in the language files.
<string id="40009">Retrieving EPG...</string>

I've added a temporary translation for dutch (see below):
<string id="40009">Ophalen Gids</string>

If its wrong I blame Google Translate... ;)
DSD

Postby teddan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi,
I thought that I should give this a try but I can't get it to work, always getting "script error" in XBMC.
This is from XBMC log:
21:10:12 T:2484 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
21:10:22 T:2484 ERROR: Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
21:10:22 T:2484 ERROR: Error Contents: argument 2 must be unicode or str
21:10:22 T:2484 ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.dvblink\default.py", line 611, in <module>
load_channels() #deviceconfiguration()
File "C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.dvblink\default.py", line 177, in load_channels
xbmcgui.Dialog().ok("Error", ex)
TypeError: argument 2 must be unicode or str

Any suggestion what's wrong?
regards
teddan
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO, i5-3570K, 8gb, W7-64,TBS6985,TBS6981,TBS6980, TVSource 4.5.3/Connect Server V4.5.3
Clients: 2xXBOX360, 4xPC W7, PS3
Octo LNB, EMP-Profi class MS9/12PIU-5 V10(Multiswitch), Thor (0,8W) / Sirus (4,8 E)
teddan

Postby DSD » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 pm

teddan wrote:Hi,
I thought that I should give this a try but I can't get it to work, always getting "script error" in XBMC.
This is from XBMC log:
21:10:12 T:2484 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
21:10:22 T:2484 ERROR: Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
21:10:22 T:2484 ERROR: Error Contents: argument 2 must be unicode or str
21:10:22 T:2484 ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.dvblink\default.py", line 611, in <module>
load_channels() #deviceconfiguration()
File "C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.dvblink\default.py", line 177, in load_channels
xbmcgui.Dialog().ok("Error", ex)
TypeError: argument 2 must be unicode or str

Any suggestion what's wrong?
regards
teddan

Which version of XBMC are you running?
Can you describe what your add-on settings looks like?
You can bring up the add-on settings dialog by selecting DVBlink and pressing C and then selecting Add-on settings.
DSD

Postby teddan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi DSD,
XBMC 11.0 Eden, freshly downloaded today.
Settings see pic.
It also seems that when I trying the addon, it crashes the DVBlinkserver (needs reboot to work again), would it be the webserver log for that?
I'm not that familiar with XBMC so it might be that I have missed something obvious.
reg
teddan
Attachments
setting.PNG
setting.PNG (29.12 KiB) Viewed 29186 times
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO, i5-3570K, 8gb, W7-64,TBS6985,TBS6981,TBS6980, TVSource 4.5.3/Connect Server V4.5.3
Octo LNB, EMP-Profi class MS9/12PIU-5 V10(Multiswitch), Thor (0,8W) / Sirus (4,8 E)
teddan

Postby DSD » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi,

from what I can tell from your screenshot your settings are ok.
I downloaded XBMC and installed it again and tested, but it works just fine.

Perhaps the problem is on the other end, with DVBlink Connect Server (since it's crashing)?
Which versions are you running of DVBlink Connect Server, I'm running the following versions:

DVBlink Connect Server 4.1.0
DVBlink Server 4.1.0
DVBlink TVSource 4.1.1

Also have you tried setting your computer running DVBlink Connect Server as the default recorder, otherwise it will not work.
This can be done through Windows Media Center and running the DVBlink app under Programs.
DSD

Postby teddan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi,
Same versions as you are running but I also have the dlna patch installed.
Default recorder ok.
I have tested it on two different clients same result, it was the same with your first version.
Getting this in dvblink webserverlog:

[23/Apr/2012:21:01:22] HTTP
Request Headers:
AUTHORIZATION: Basic dXNlcjphZG1pbg==
Content-Length: 346
HOST: 192.168.1.42:8080
Remote-Addr: 192.168.1.240
ACCEPT: text/plain
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
ACCEPT-ENCODING: identity
[23/Apr/2012:21:01:22] HTTP Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBLogic\DVBLink\web_server\lib.zip\cherrypy\_cprequest.py", line 645, in respond
response.body = self.handler()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBLogic\DVBLink\web_server\lib.zip\cherrypy\lib\encoding.py", line 188, in __call__
self.body = self.oldhandler(*args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBLogic\DVBLink\web_server\lib.zip\cherrypy\_cpdispatch.py", line 29, in __call__
return self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "mobile.py", line 23, in index
RuntimeError: IDS_TRIAL_ENDED_MSG

I will test more tomorrow, the rest of the family doesnt like when I am rebooting the server all the time :)
reg
teddan
teddan

Postby Oberon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 pm

I think you trial of connect server has ended.
Server: Synology DS212j, TBS5980CI (Dutch CanalDigitaal), TeVii s660 unicable Astra 28.2E, DVBLink TVSource 4.6.0, all DVBLink EPG Loaders
Clients: AsRock ION 330 Win7 MediaCenter, Samsung DLNA TV, IPad, Samsung Galaxy S, Nexus 7
Oberon

Postby teddan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:06 pm

hi Oberon,
Cant understand why it should have run out since I am a paying customer since long time ago and my dvblinks clients are running just fine.
Any more log sugestions?
reg teddan
teddan

Next

Return to Development corner