windows 8 consumer preview

DVBLink Connect! Server is discussed here!

Re: windows 8 consumer preview

Postby SCOOBY_666UK » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:20 am

Thanks...but I managed to get ACamd to work :) (Give the plug-ins folder full control via properties/security)
SCOOBY_666UK

Postby Plugh » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:23 am

I can confirm also that DVBLink works in W8 after the registermceapp action mentioned earlier.

In my case, TV setup in Media Center hung at the "inspecting TV signal stage." This was fixed by manually installing the latest drivers for my Hauppauge TV cards (device manager incorrectly reported that the drivers were upto to date).

Subjectively, the W8 dvblink_server service seems much less cpu hungry than in W7 and thus I see no pixellation on playing HD, for example. I read somewhere that W8 cpu/memory management is a lot better than in previous versions.

I also read that MS are lukewarm about supporting Media Center in W8 - see this quote in ZDNet http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/media-center-will-be-in-windows-8-but-not-right-away/3860 by Windows boss Steven Sinofsky -

Our opt-in usage telemetry shows that in July, Windows Media Center was launched by 6% of Windows 7 users globally with the heaviest usage in Russia, Mexico, and Brazil (frequency and time). However, most people are just looking around; only one quarter (25% of 6%) of these people used it for more than 10 minutes per session (individual averages), and in 59% of Media Center sessions (by these 6% of users) we see almost no activity (less than a minute or two of usage). TV was the most common scenario we observed, and not surprisingly, traditional media (DVD and CD) are less common (and declining over time) than streaming and file-based content.

For sure WMC is an old style app, with a lot of redundant functionality (music, pictures, etc) that is now handled by metro style apps, so what we need now is a cool, clean metro TV app.... Anybody?
Last edited by Plugh on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM800 HD + OpenPLi + Oscam c/s
W7 Zalman HTPC + dual TBS 6981+ DVB-S2 card; dual Hauppage DVB-T; + ACAMD 0.6.2 + DVBLink
W7 Dell box + quad Hauppauge hybrid/S2/T + DVBLink/DM
W7 Atom HTPC box + dual Blackgold DVB-T2 + DVBLink/DM
Plugh

Postby gaburko » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Plugh wrote:
For sure WMC is an old style app, with a lot of redundant functionality (music, pictures, etc) that is now handled by metro style apps, so what we need now is a cool, clean metro TV app.... Anybody?

Exactly! As soon as a TV/EPG app appears in the store, no need for WMC anyway. I would be quite surprised if one DOESN'T appear actually. Sinofsky is right that from the perspective of their customer base, maintaining and updating WMC doesnt make much sense. But the windows customer base is so huge that even a few percent of active users is already a critical mass of customers for a potential TV/EPG app (especially if priced properly)
gaburko

Postby dbjorck » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi!

DVD wrote:It appears the addin fails during the windows install
if you open an administrator cmd prompt in windows 8 ( right click on the windows start logo, select 'Command Prompt (Admin)'
then type the following to register the addin in windows 8 Media Center

CD\windows\ehome (press return on Keyboard)
registermceapp c:\progra~2\dvblogic\dvblink\dvblink_addin.xml (press return on keyboard)

you should see it say success and the addin will now be installed as normal in media center under extras and works for me.

Hope this helps

Unfortunately not for me. It says
C:\Windows\ehome>registermceapp c:\progra~2\dvblogic\dvblink\dvblink_addin.xml
Exception occurred: The specified application is already registered

Failed

Perhaps the difference is that I didn't do a clean install of W8CP, but an upgrade. I then uninstalled DVBLink 3, and then installed DVBlink 4. At that time it was still showing the DVBLink addin in Extras. But whenever I started WMC, it said "DVBLink" could not be started, so I clicked "Disable". So now it's not showing in Extras, AND it says it is already registered. Presumably the 3 version?? Anyone know how to unregister it?

By the way, yes, I am running the command prompt in Administrator mode.

Brgds

Danny
dbjorck

Postby dbjorck » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:44 am

Hi!

No one with any clever ideas to try out? I have tried the /u switch, which I assume is unregister. Didn't help.

Brgds

Danny
dbjorck

Postby dbjorck » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi!

I have now uninstalled DVBLink 4 completely. But WMC is still saying "Unable to launch DVBLink"... :x Still no one with any suggestions on what to do?

Brgds

Danny
dbjorck

Postby dbjorck » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:32 am

OK, I finally managed to work it out. I had tried to delete the registry keys that were left over after uninstall, but that didn't help either. But this did:
registermceapp /u /allusers c:\progra~2\dvblogic\dvblink\dvblink_addin.xml
registermceapp c:\progra~2\dvblogic\dvblink\dvblink_addin.xml

Unregistering for all users was key.

Brgds

Danny
dbjorck

Postby dbjorck » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:02 am

Hi!

OK, now I can't get it to show the four virtual tuners as usual. It only shows one. Both my physical tuners work fine in configuration, and I can Preview in VLC both tuners; but only one tuner shows up in WMC.

Any ideas on how to add the other tuners?? I have tried reinstalling, and redoing TV Setup. Both times there is only DVBLink Tuner #1 as an option for setting up.

Brgds

Danny
dbjorck

Postby denethor » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:01 pm

No more media center in release preview...
Server: Mac Pro 2014 w/ 2xFirePro D300, Win 8.1.1 x64, TBS 5990 Dual CI, 13E, 42E, 07E, TVSource 4.6.9749, Connect Server 4.6.9904
Clients: 2xMacmini Win7 X64, iPad Air, iPad3, iPhone5, iPhone5s, rMBP with MacOS XBMC & Win 8 x64, Panasonic 55VT30,Plex
denethor

Postby denethor » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Control Panel - Add features to Windows 8 and use this serial number:

Code: Select all
MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7
Server: Mac Pro 2014 w/ 2xFirePro D300, Win 8.1.1 x64, TBS 5990 Dual CI, 13E, 42E, 07E, TVSource 4.6.9749, Connect Server 4.6.9904
Clients: 2xMacmini Win7 X64, iPad Air, iPad3, iPhone5, iPhone5s, rMBP with MacOS XBMC & Win 8 x64, Panasonic 55VT30,Plex
denethor

Postby gaburko » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:54 pm

just in case someone was wondering - windows home server 2011 connects beautifully to windows 8 release preview. I have the connect server on the home server and the client on the win8 and it works like a charm.
gaburko

Postby JayC » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:00 pm

If anyone is testing v4.5 beta then the command for x86 is:

>registermceapp c:\progra~1\dvblogic\dvblink\dvblink_backend.xml

...or for x64...

>registermceapp c:\progra~2\dvblogic\dvblink\dvblink_backend.xml

Seem to be running into PlayReady issues though.
JayC

Postby uss_enterprise3 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Now running into PlayReady Issue. Any help would be appreciated.
uss_enterprise3

Postby jtenniswood » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 am

is anyone else seeing 'invalid application' when trying to launch the dvblink control addin in mce.

The previous install (v4.0) worked well for me in mce, now the channels aren't correct (they haven't updated in mce but are current in the desktop client app) and when trying to view live tv it says that all the tuners are in use by other clients.

no idea what I am doing wrong!
jtenniswood

Postby uss_enterprise3 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Finally got the HDPVR working in Medea Center in Windows 8 but no sound and Media Center Ir will not work. :( The sound works when using TotalMedia Extreme. Any help would be appreciated.
uss_enterprise3

PreviousNext

Return to DVBLink Connect! Server