mcepgx-x.db Size Matters

DVBLink TVSource is discussed here!

Re: mcepgx-x.db Size Matters

Postby Oberon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:42 pm

The attached DVBLink addin may help keeping the database size under control by deleting very old epg events. Please make sure that you have DVBLink Server v4.1 installed before applying patch.
Installation instructions:
- close MediaCenter if it is running
- unzip the contents to some folder on your hard drive of Win7 computer
- open administrative command prompt (start menu - accessories - command prompt, right click, "run as administrator")
- navigate to the folder with unzipped patch contents
- execute in command prompt: dvblink_addin_unreg.bat
- Start MediaCenter, go to Extra's and make sure that DVBLink addin is gone
- Close MediaCenter
- execute in command prompt: dvblink_addin_reg.bat
- close command prompt
- open MediaCenter to check that DVBLink addin has appeared in Extra's again
Attachments
dvblink_addin_02022012.zip
(119.36 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Server: Synology DS214Play, DVBSky S960CI Astra 28/23/19 (CanalDigitaal subscription), TeVii s660 Amos 4/Sirius, DVBLink TVSource 5.0.0
Clients: AsRock ION 330 Win7 with XBMC 13.1, Raspberry Pi with XBMC 13.1, Samsung DLNA TV, Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Oberon

Postby mini__me » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks Oberon will give this a go and see how it behaves on one of my Network client PCs.
mini__me

Postby justinalot » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:41 pm

I tried BSEPG and it lasted for about 3 months before the same issues comes up.

So far Digiguide Addin is the most relaible. Apart from DB file getting so large.

I was looking for a tool to strip out some of the data when its gone.
Zalman 160XT,Quad Core Intel,2 WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2,1 WinTV-HVR-4400,4 Sources 3 HD S2 1 Analogue
DVBLINK Source and DVBLINK Network
Dreambox 500
DigiGuide Addin
justinalot

Postby justinalot » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks for the file I will try it once the size gets too large again.
Zalman 160XT,Quad Core Intel,2 WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2,1 WinTV-HVR-4400,4 Sources 3 HD S2 1 Analogue
Dreambox 500
DigiGuide Addin
justinalot

Postby tups » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08 am

justinalot wrote:I tried BSEPG and it lasted for about 3 months before the same issues comes up.

So far Digiguide Addin is the most relaible. Apart from DB file getting so large.

Me too with BSEPG having the same file size issues. I am convinced it is a result of the programe thumbnail images that I assume BSEPG and the DigiGuide addon embed into the file which the the MS guide service doesn't do.

I hope I am wrong as I prefer the data provided by Digiguide but the 2GB file it creates makes everything guide related run VERY slowly to the point it is unusable :(
Server: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Digital Devices Cine S2 V6, TVSource 4.5, Digiguide Plugin 4.5, Connect Server 4.5.
Clients: Mac Mini (Win7 Media Center), XBox 360 Extender, iPad2, iPhone4.
tups

Postby Oberon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:14 am

tups wrote:
justinalot wrote:I tried BSEPG and it lasted for about 3 months before the same issues comes up.

Me too with BSEPG having the same file size issues. I am convinced it is a result of the programe thumbnail images that I assume BSEPG and the DigiGuide addon embed into the file which the the MS guide service doesn't do.

I hope I am wrong as I prefer the data provided by Digiguide but the 2GB file it creates makes everything guide related run VERY slowly to the point it is unusable :(

No, digiguide addin does not embed any images. They are always used as URLs.
Server: Synology DS214Play, DVBSky S960CI Astra 28/23/19 (CanalDigitaal subscription), TeVii s660 Amos 4/Sirius, DVBLink TVSource 5.0.0
Clients: AsRock ION 330 Win7 with XBMC 13.1, Raspberry Pi with XBMC 13.1, Samsung DLNA TV, Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Oberon

Postby justinalot » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 am

On standard MCE machines the Database file is incremented so that it does not exceed a certain size. Perhaps there is a way to instance out the Databases like standard MCE does. I am sure some maintentance could spilt the database files, I am afraid i dont know how to do that.
Dreambox 500
DigiGuide Addin
justinalot

Postby tups » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:48 pm

justinalot wrote:On standard MCE machines the Database file is incremented so that it does not exceed a certain size. Perhaps there is a way to instance out the Databases like standard MCE does. I am sure some maintentance could spilt the database files, I am afraid i dont know how to do that.

That would make sense as I had always wondered why I end up with the split files.
Server: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Digital Devices Cine S2 V6, TVSource 4.5, Digiguide Plugin 4.5, Connect Server 4.5.
tups

Postby mini__me » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 am

So I just hit the 2GB limit with the new test addin, and WMC is crashing all over the place, so it appears that the addin is not striping data as expected/or enough?
mini__me

Postby macdonm2 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Same problem here.
macdonm2

Postby sisniper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:42 am

Hi All

I too am still seeing the database getting very large and am having to wait up to a couple of minutes for the epg to load with masses of hard drive activity during which the system is pretty much unresponsive.

filtering the epg also causes a delay but less so than initial access (20 seconds)

so would an ssd help?
is it possible to loads the database to memory (if you have enough memory that is)

or could it be the data is being inserted into the database but isnt indexed properly so causing the laggy behaviours which increases over time?

regards
si
sisniper

Postby tups » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:53 am

sisniper wrote:Hi All
so would an ssd help?

An SSD should increase the overall data read performance of your PC which should in turn help alleviate this problem. It is a pretty extreme measure to go to though just to get the EPG performing correctly :shock:

I have reverted back to using the MS guide services until this problem is resolved as my media centre would continually crash once the DB file hit 2GB.
tups

Postby tony_park » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:05 am

tups wrote:

I've been using BSEPG since before it was released as a final product (probably a year in beta) without any of these problems, and I have 227 channels data being imported into MC. I wonder if with the BS EPG approach, its your data source too? I use digiguide with xmltvgui to create the xml file, that BS EPG processes.

Thanks
Tony
Windows 7 Media Center Embedded in Evolve Media Lifestation
Intel i3, AMD 6450, 4GB,
Dreambox Clone - CCCam 2.1.4,
2xTBS 6981 dual S2 tuner,
Plugin: Acamd 0.6.2.0
TV Source 4.6.0
tony_park

Postby mini__me » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 am

Me too Tony, when using BSE to import the data and clean the database my .db file never got about 330MB....so it's something with the way it's being done with this addin that's not right.
mini__me

Postby sisniper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:38 am

Hi Tony

Can you explain your process in more detail - as always we are never sure how seriously the developers are taking this issue and therfore if its being looked at/priority/timescales etc

Im quite happy to use BSEPG but not sure how you use with this plugin OR have I misunderstood and youve kicked this into touch and are using BSEPG to access Digiguide directly? if so is it fairly easy (dont want to install bsepg in trial mode as I like a fairly clean machine )

Sorry but need this sorting as my system is only stable for about a week between deletes of the database

(200 channels)
Athlon 320
2GB
Win7 32bit
sisniper

PreviousNext

Return to DVBLink TVSource