Can transcoding settings be tweaked?

DVBLink Connect! Server is discussed here!

Can transcoding settings be tweaked?

Postby onlinespending » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:19 am

I am interested in possibly purchasing Connect! Server and would use it only for remotely watching TV in a second home using the Boxee client (in a similar fashion to a Slingbox). I have two questions.

1.) Does it support the Hauppauge HD-PVR and channel changing remotely?

2.) Would I be able to tweak the transcoding settings at all? Assuming I have an ultra-powerful machine that can do some serious compressing, it'd be great to use x264 for the transcoding for instance and be able to remotely watch HD channels in 720p/30fs but at a ultra-reduced bitrate under 2Mbps.

Thank you!
onlinespending

Re: Can transcoding settings be tweaked?

Postby fuzzysb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:28 pm

At last someone else who wants to do the same as me.

The answer though is no, the Boxee client only requests uncompressed raw diirect streams, so to stream over the internet is a no go as you just wont have sufficient bandwidth.

Oberon stated that a boxee client that supports indirect compressed streams is not in the pipeline, so like me you are so out of luck.

I did request that the client be released as open source to use as a base to add the inderect streaming to it, but this has not and i fear will not materialise.

so the only option is to write a client from scratch using the API info on the site, but i fear its too far out of my league to do this from scratch. i also tried downloading the package but the python scripts are pyo binaries and not py files, i have tried to decompile them but the results are not good, so without source we are out of luck. :(
fuzzysb

Postby onlinespending » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:01 pm

That's a shame. So the only clients that would really work remotely would be those for mobile devices (phones, tablets, etc.). Nothing for media PCs that one would connect to a TV? I'd be all over this product if I could setup the server at home and be able to comfortably stream content to another home, a relative's home, etc. A Boxee client, XBMC client, or Windows Media Center client that allowed remote transcoding options would be a necessity to allow that remote viewing option from another home. Any alternatives?
onlinespending

Postby Selcal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Using the API, or even just the web access portal I it must be possible to write a Mediacenter plugin that can access the webserver stream. I'm not much into plugins, but I am sure this can be done. If you can find a MCE plugin writer.....
Selcal

Postby fuzzysb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:17 pm

The problem is the Web Access protal is only compatible on Windows machines with Windows Media, as it embeds the Player in the web page, so that is useless. doesnt work with Mac or Linux.

We are not requesting a MCE plugin, we are after boxee, or at least i am as i have a boxee box embedded system for my needs when away from home. but the simple fact is that Oberon has stated that none of this is on the roadmap so we are so out of luck, which is dissapointing as this was the point of the sales lit.

Simple fact is that if i could use direct streaming a nw client would be easy to knock together, but an indirect stream is much harder and out of my know how especially simce i cannot use the existing client as a base as the python files are compiled binaries and i cannot decompile them so they work (I spent two days solid trying)

The other main issue is i would be fine if i could get the IOS client to stream, i have personally no luck at all, it streams fine for exactly 10 seconds and then freezes and never resumes, i tried to use the latest mplayer ffmpeg but this made it worse as it would stream wih massive artifacts for 10 seconds and then freeze. i have ascertained that it is not a bandwidth problem for the freeze but that the stream stops/crashes after 10 seconds.

simple fact is connect server is useless for me, i was so miffed being stuck in switzerland all week without any entertainment, well i was until i discovered navi-x on my boxee box. and i was just going to purchase a sling box. now i am saving my money and playing a waiting game after reading the comments in the tv source forum there is a lot of people slating connect server in v4

so i figure if there is as much anti connect server sentiment as there is, surely the situation will get better and dvblogic will work on new versions of this and the clients, but i figure we just need to remain vocal and be patient and like the guiness advert says "good things come to those who wait" unless Oberon wants to shoot me down in flames.
fuzzysb

Postby onlinespending » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Yeah, with the popularity of Slingbox over the past 5 years I'm surprised no software solution has emerged to challenge it as a viable alternative. Even today with CPUs capable of doing the necessary transcoding to provide fairly good quality streaming over the internet, I've come to the conclusion that there is no elegant solution for watching TV in a remote location on a big screen. Sure you there do exist lots of solutions for streaming to mobile devices (phones, tablets), but nothing for a living room experience away from the home. I've decided the only option is to purchase a Slingbox. It's money that I would have gladly spent on a nice software solution.
onlinespending

Postby fuzzysb » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:37 am

Yes i agree with you it will be money well spent, but i just dont think it is elegant enough for me. I have a Media center machine that is always in use by the family and dvblink tv source does a stellar job. if i go with a slingbox i can kiss goodbye to my dual DVB-S & DVB-T guide with 6 tuners.

The simple fact is that connect server is capable of doing what we want, the only problem is that the clients are not, if we could hget a boxee developer on board to do this it would be great, however i cant understand dvblogics insistance that they wont implement this in a later version of their boxee client.

it seems dumb to me, as i am sure there is a larger market for this, other than just you and me as the slingbox success has to be proof of this, even with thier dodgy hardware reliability (faulty capacitors and blown PSU's) but thier market keeps growing, and now they have a native boxee player.

maybe thats not where dvblogic want to compete in the market, but i would have thought money regardless of which part of the market it comes from is what a private company would value above all else in these economic conditions.

Regards

Stuart
fuzzysb

Return to DVBLink Connect! Server