Wireless vs wired network

DVBLink for IPTV is discussed here!

Wireless vs wired network

Postby kabull » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Hi
I have a W7 media center pc with iptv setup working nicely.
The iptv source is connected on its own network adapter and is hooked up directly to a fibre optic access point.
For the home network I use a D-link DIR 635 router, that connects to the same pc with a second network adapter. The routers wan connection is the same fibre optic access point as mentioned above. So far so good.

But as soon as I connect a wireless computer via the router, my iptv connection goes down and the wireless internet access goes down too. This only happens when iptv is running in media center in the same time as a wireless connection is active through the router, even though iptv has its own adapter.

If I use my wireless computer to access only the media center librarys on the stationary pc evertything works fine.

This prevents me from using dvb-server/client function on my laptop/mobile and so on.

Is there some setup in the router I should look at? What is the likely source of conflict?

I appreciate any help. >I am stumbling around in the dark on this one!
Thanks in advance.
kabull

Re: Wireless vs wired network

Postby Micromecca » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:12 pm

If by 'fibre optic access point' you mean a cable modem please provide its make/model number.
I am confused as to why you have chose not to connect the IPTV device to one of the DLink routers LAN ports, how you have it connected at the moment the Dlink Routers NAT layer is sat between the IPTV device and the rest of your internal network.

rgds
Marty
Server: WHS2011, DD Cine S2, TBS 6981, SkyStar HD2, TVSource 4.5, Connect Server 4.5, Digiguide Plugin 4.5, Acamd.
Clients: 2 x Win7 Media Center, Galaxy S2 (ICS 4.0.3), Motorola Xoom (ICS 4.0.4)
Micromecca

Postby kabull » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks for your reply.

The box on the wall (modem?) is of brand PacketFront, model cps279sfl.
It has 8 lan ports, where 4 of them are labeled <Phone/TV/Multicast> and the other 4 are labeled <PC/Game conosle/Other>

When I now checked, the iptv network adapter is hoocked up to phone/tv/multicast one, and the routers wan to the pc/game/other port.
There is also a motorola iptv tuner hooked up to the tv side.

I have tried to run both iptv and internet traffic through my router using the same network adpater in the pc, but as son as tv streams start, there seems to some sort of conflict, compromising wireless connectivity or the other way around.

Thanks
Kjell
kabull

Postby Micromecca » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:22 am

That 'modem' is also a router and the best thing to do would have been to simply add a wireless access point rather than another router (the dlink).
You should either connect all hardwired devices to the cable modem/router and purchase a wireless access point for the wireless clients
or
you can configure the dlink router to behave only as an access point by settings its IP address to be on the same range as that of the Modem/Router and connecting it via one of its LAN instead of the WAN port.
For example if the modem/routers IP address is 192.168.0.1 set the Dlink routers to 192.268.0.254 to ensure it is out of the active DHCP range and also set its subnet mask (probably 255.255.255.0)to match that of the modem/routers.

I hope this makes sense!

rgds
Marty
Server: WHS2011, DD Cine S2, TBS 6981, SkyStar HD2, TVSource 4.5, Connect Server 4.5, Digiguide Plugin 4.5, Acamd.
Clients: 2 x Win7 Media Center, Galaxy S2 (ICS 4.0.3), Motorola Xoom (ICS 4.0.4)
Micromecca

Postby kabull » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks again.
I will try your suggestions, although I don't imediately see clearly how I will be able to maintain my homegruoup (w7) network functionality with this setup.
If the "modem" will serve as a router,how to I assign the SSID for my homegroup? Or will the member find each other through the router anyway?
Well I will look furhter into this, and give feedback.

Chears
Kjell
kabull

Postby Micromecca » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Your homegroup will continue to function exactly as it did before if you configure the Dlink router correctly to work as an access point only, you will not need to change the SSID either.
You will also have to disable the DHCP Server on the DLink router.

rgds
Marty
Micromecca

Postby hamselv78 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:06 pm

This is because Waoo (assuming this is your provider, as its the only fiberoptic ISP in Denmark with IPTV) has defined VLANS in the packetfront box, and NOT routing.
You have set it up corretly. The above suggested solution would work, however the used bandwith when watching TV would be taken from your Internet bandwith, as they would be put on the same VLAN.
Your TV/Internet goes down, because your dlink router can't handle multicast traffic to wireless and "crashes".
To avoid this, log into your dlink and disable multicast traffic to wlan.

While you are it, on your htpc, change the metric for tcp/ip4 from automatic to something you decide, just make sure the LAN has the lowest value, eg LAN = 3 and IPTV = 5. These settings can be changed under the two network cards advanced settings for tcp/ip4. Reboot may be required.

Under dvblink settings, make sure your sources uses the network adapter connected to iptv (usually gets an IP in the 10.x.x.x range). Remember to clone your tv box MAC adress first.

This makes sure windows always prefers traffic via LAN, and TV via its own VLAN in your multihomed setup. This way you make sure you have your full Internet bandwith, no matter how many channels you are recording :-)

kind regards,
hamselv78

Postby Micromecca » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:06 pm

hamselv78 wrote:This is because Waoo (assuming this is your provider, as its the only fiberoptic ISP in Denmark with IPTV) has defined VLANS in the packetfront box, and NOT routing.

Thanks for clarifying this! I was unable to find any real information on this box and assumed it would have had a NAT layer configured, I hope the OP gets sorted now :D

rgds
Marty
Micromecca

Postby kabull » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:03 pm

@ micromecca.
I testet out the network setup you suggested i.e. configured my router as a wireless accesspoint and let the Packetfront act as a router. this seems to work fine so far, but I have not testet the dvblink server/client thing with this setup yet. Thanks. But after setting the router up this way, I can not access it by its ip adress due to a connection restriction on port 80 it seems. This forces me to reset to factory defaults first to access the setup, and then makie sure everything is fine before I reboot and start using it.

@hamselv78
What you are suggesting seems very very interesting.
A few additional questins to you;
*Can I by doing the modifications you suggest decicate all IPTV traffic through one adapter and use the other for internet and network traffic (including dvblogic tv-stuff) ? It would be more then great if so.
*Do I have to specify IE to use a preferred LAN adapter as well?
*I have noticed that with the current setup, my HTPC get ip's in two different ranges as well, sometimes in the 174.....range and other times in the 84.....range. Is this perhaps relevant to the Packetfront VLAN's perhaps? (My ISP is Norwegian)
*As you mentioned, the motorola set top boks has/gets an ip in the 10....range. Should the HTPC IPTV LAN adapter be set to this ip statically?
*How do I clone the tvbox mac adress to my htpc adapter?

I will get back with progress as it goes. Thanks guys!

Kjell
kabull

Postby kabull » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:24 am

Ok, testet the setup suggested by hamselv78.
It does work. But the LAN network adapter seems to still interfer with the IPTV adapter somehow, i.e. if I temporarily disable the LAN adapter, while I start IPTV in MC it works. After that I can enable the LAN and have internet/home network connection. But if I close down the IPTV tv stream and try to relaunch it it will not work until I temporarily disable the LAN adapter to allow tv traffic to start? The LAN adapter is connected through my router now.

-IPTV connected straight to Packetfront modem. works fine when tv stream is allowed to start/restart up without active LAN adapter. Clone mac=not yet. Metric=5
-LAN adapter-dlink router-packetfront. works fine together with tv, when tv allowed. metric = 3. Specified as preferred adapter for "network services" in network and sharing senter/change adapter settings/advanced(alt).

Any ideas?
kabull

Postby kabull » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Latest update.
I have now gotten to the final stages of my struggles with the my network.
Now I have 2 nics set up, where one takes care of iptv traffic, and the other takes care of internet and homegroup networking.
Separating the two wasn't straight forward to me, but I have learnt alot- special thanks to hamselv78 for answering my many pm's regarding networking.

Also thanks to our friends in Holland @ gathering.tweakers.net for useful information regarding STB's, iptv and networks.

All this in place, I can now finally have tv on more then 1 pc, and on my android phone at the same time. (4 tuners).

Kjell
kabull

Postby kabull » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Another update. I now have a new ASUS RT-N66U router that seems to handle multiple lan/wan/wlan clients at the same time much better than my old over-worked D-link dir 635. I got rid of all the stuttering and pixelation on the wireless android clients too. This router does not yet fully comly with dd-wrt but I am sure fully functional updates will arrive. The stock fw is impressive anyhow.
kabull

Return to DVBLink for IPTV