WMC EPG doesn't update

Windows MediaCenter as a DVBLink client

WMC EPG doesn't update

Postby phonk » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:58 am

Hello,

I have a problem with my WMC EPG on Win8.1 with Media Center.

The DVBLink EPG is always up to date for 14 days. The WMC epg is only updated if I select in Extras the dvblink -> Syncronize channels

How can I solve this to not press this Button every week ?

Greets
phonk

Re: WMC EPG doesn't update

Postby yamcenutzer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:35 am

Is the WMC in question local or remote?
My local WMC updates fine, only the remote has/always had) this problem.
I suspect it has to do with the server sleeping when idle and not responding when the remote updates.
DVBLink TVSource 6, 4x DigitalDevices S2 Tuners, Win7x64, Dq77MK, e3-1225, 8GB, WMC local, WMC-remote, testing KODI usabilty for TV since 2012 - still failing...
yamcenutzer

Postby phonk » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:39 am

Nope, both on the same machine with 24/7 runtime.
phonk

Postby yamcenutzer » Tue May 26, 2015 11:14 am

DId this ever get resolved?

Recently I'm also seeing this behaviour.
Worse, on the remote machine it seems that epg never get's updated unless I manually sync settings.

Could someone please explain how wmc epg is updated, and if there are any ways/means to enforce this without having to manually sync...

Can the client be somehow triggered?
Will it pull epg when Wmc does it's own scheduled update?
Can it be, that wmc does it's scheduled update and after that tries to pull epg from dvblink server? If yes, it might be that the server has fallen asleep because the remote wmc took too long to do its own update?

FYI: my server and clients are all set to sleep after 20 mins. idle.
The client is set to send wol to server when resuming from sleep and at logon. This actually works. But if the client is busy doing other other things after resume, it might be that the server is asleep again by the time the client tries to access it.
DVBLink TVSource 6, 4x DigitalDevices S2 Tuners, Win7x64, Dq77MK, e3-1225, 8GB, WMC local, WMC-remote, testing KODI usabilty for TV since 2012 - still failing...
yamcenutzer

Postby yamcenutzer » Thu May 28, 2015 10:43 pm

I'm pretty sure the question about WMC EPG updating has been asked multiple times in this forum, without any answer (I'm aware of).

The only single-line statement I found was on the wiki for wmc client installation:
<quote>
DVBLink channel synchronization is performed at each MediaCenter start-up and is repeated in the background every 12 hours.
</unquote>

If that is really how it is, then WMC's that never shutdown, only sleep/wake, will only update their EPGs when they happen to be awake when the sync time comes (unless that is taken care of, e.g. by waking the machine, or syncing the next time it awakes). If so, then it is definitely broken, since my remote wmcs have been suffering from epg-loss at least since update to 5.0, maybe even before. When this happens, I obviously have to sync manually, which more often than not, returns an error or hangs.

My local WMC (i.e. the one that runs on the same machine as the server), which also only ever sleeps/wakes does update it's epg, albeit in an uncontrolable manner, such that scheduled resordings sometimes vanish.

There must be some way to control this, or at least provide some more insight so that one can try to install some workaround.
yamcenutzer

Postby phonk » Fri May 29, 2015 6:36 am

You are right, and we are being ignored.
phonk

Postby yamcenutzer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Still no update....
remote WMC only updates after reboot.
yamcenutzer

Postby emanuelj » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:24 am

Same problem.. How can we get forward?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
emanuelj

Postby TeHaX » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:41 pm

I aktivate in MC the auromatic download option for media center datas and i will be able to get the epg from dvblink some minutes later by clicking download now button.
TeHaX

Postby yamcenutzer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:20 pm

You do that every time you start your WMC? That doesn't make sense. It's supposed to be automatic/background/scheduled.

I think the remote WMC clients have a problem with sleep/wake, and error handling/recovery in general. Like I said, if the remote client wakes up from sleep, it sends a WOL to the server to wake it up. That normally works, but the server goes to sleep again, if the remote client doesn't do anything for a certain amount of time (e.g. it talks to MS servers first..). If the client then tries again to talk to the server, the latter might already have gone to sleep again. This case is IMHO not properly handled.
I have requested that the client send a WOL to the server when needed, but that request never made it to the product.

I don't remember the last time I had a good epg on my remote (only sleep/wake) WMC. Maybe in the 4.xx era. It did use to work though.
Now when I notice the epg has gone and I try to sync dvblink, WMC just hangs (the plugin is inresponsive). I have to reboot the machine, and try again. It is pretty much useless on the remote client.
The local client seems to be working most of the time. However, from time to time I also have to manually resync.
yamcenutzer

Postby yamcenutzer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Still no update.
My remote client has never updated automatically for the last 1.5 years, only when done manually. I'm pretty sure this used to work in the 4.x era.
The local WMC (the one on the machine that is running the server) does update automatically.

@oberon or whoever, what can I do to enable debugging the update behaviour of the client? any specific logging or other things?

Or is it safe to assume that you have dropped WMC support?
yamcenutzer

Return to Windows MediaCenter