Defective FF and RW with PVR addon for Kodi

DVBLink Kodi PVR addon is discussed here

Defective FF and RW with PVR addon for Kodi

Postby jordisala » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:23 am

Hello I migrated from WMC to KODI + PVR addon.
Now in the day to day usage i've found that FastForward and Rewind don't work very well while timeshifting.

When I try to view a recorded program i can fast forward and rewind without problems.
But when I do this while timeshifting:
The fast forward goes well up to 4x for some minutes, but if you pass from 8x or trespass the some minutes frontier, the image freezes and the time indicator counts the time inconsistently.
If you push Rewind, image freezes and don't event counts correctly the time gone back, when i push play again it takes alot to play or crashes.

Dvblogic server and Kodi are on the same machine, a quad core windows 7 with an SSD.
Kodi 14.1 Git:20150129
Pvr backend: Dvblink server 5.1

I've searched on the internet and found people that use advancedsettings.xml to increment the buffersize and cache in RAM
http://blog.programster.org/2014/12/27/ ... t-forward/
Tried that but didn't solve the problem

I've seen in this forums that some people move the time-shift cache on a RAMdisk, but i have an SSD and only 4 GB of RAM so that would no fit for me, moving only the cache will be ok but moving all the time-shift file will no fit on my spare RAM. And I think my 128 GB Samsung SSD have enough throughput.
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=29377&p=101369&hilit=timeshift#p101369

Read the last Dvblink 5.2 release notes and don't find nothing about thimeshifting.

Finally search in this forum, and one closed topic related to this kind of problems pointed out to open a new post, so I am doing this.
There is any method to improve the behavior of time shifting on pvr addon for kodi. Either way on the server or on the client?

Thanks a lot
jordisala

Re: Defective FF and RW with PVR addon for Kodi

Postby Charles R » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:22 pm

jordisala wrote:Now in the day to day usage i've found that FastForward and Rewind don't work very well while timeshifting.

First Kodi 15 (currently in Alpha) lets you control these settings via the user interface and it works very nicely!

I used this URL for setting up my custom seek times:
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_time_seeking - just be sure to place in the proper directory or it won't work...

These are the settings I'm using with my Harmony remote. The Left and Right directional keys are mapped to Skip Back and Skip Forward.

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.20</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>kodi</user>
<pass>xxx</pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.20</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>kodi</user>
<pass>xxx</pass>
</musicdatabase>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
<importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
</videolibrary>
<video>
<usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking>
<smallstepbackseconds>7</smallstepbackseconds>
<timeseekforward>30</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>-7</timeseekbackward>
<timeseekforwardbig>600</timeseekforwardbig>
<timeseekbackwardbig>-600</timeseekbackwardbig>
<percentseekforward>2</percentseekforward>
<percentseekbackward>-2</percentseekbackward>
<percentseekforwardbig>10</percentseekforwardbig>
<percentseekbackwardbig>-10</percentseekbackwardbig>
</video>
</advancedsettings>
Charles R

Postby jordisala » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:26 am

Hello,
This solution seems a good workaround but with this you get a interval seek.
What I exptect is a truly fast forward and rewind behavior like when i watch a movie.

Regards
jordisala

Postby Videonisse » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:43 pm

I think Oberon answer is that this is due to lack of support in ffmpeg.

Unfortunately, I have not had time to verify if this is also true for the other PVR Addons or just the DVBLink implementation.
Win 7 64-bit SP1, Intel i5-3570K 3,4GHz HD 4000 Graphics, 6GB, TBS 6984 S2 Quad,TBS 6280 T2 Dual
DVBLink 5.5.0 Connect & TVSource (mc_recorder), CD S Thor 0.8W,FTA Aastra 19.2E, S FTA T2, ACAMD 0.6.2
Clients iPhone 4S 5S 6S, iPad2 iOS 9,Win 7 PCs
Videonisse

Postby Oberon » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:24 pm

I now about defective FF and (especially) RW in XBMC/Kodi, but unfortunately I suffer from them as much as you do.
This is one of te shortcomings of Kodi and shoud be fixed on their side.
Oberon

Postby jordisala » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:23 am

Hello Oberon and Videonisse

For sure there is problems with FF and RW on Kodi, but I am not completely sure that this behavior while timeshifting is completely due to Kodi.
Here you can find some captures comparing what happens while FF and RW on Live vs Recorded using the dvblogic plugin.
They behave different.

https://app.box.com/s/3nvfp4fuey0pj1tgk5qcqt1pr3obp1ng

If at least the behavior while timeshifting was the same as on recorded it will be a big step.

Regards
jordisala

Postby RTK » Wed May 13, 2015 5:53 pm

As stated by others, trying to FF through a recorded file in DVBlink add-on stutters and you cannot move fluidly through the recording.

Exit TV section of Kodi, go to Video section of Kodi and load a DVBlink recorded file independently and you can FF relatively well through file including being able to see image as you FF. Why should there be a difference in ability to FF/RW between the DVBlink add-on vs. loading file separately within Video of Kodi? I've duplicated this same behavior on 2 different clients.
RTK

Postby Littleman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:37 pm

This needs to be bumped up. How many of us have had to give up Media Center when we upgraded to windows 10?
I use kodi because I have to, for live TV, unless I'm mistaken and there is a preferable solution, with correct FF and RW?
Littleman

Return to DVBLink Kodi PVR Addon