"New episodes only" option

General discussions over DVBLink products

Re: "New episodes only" option

Postby RTK » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:10 pm

The only reason you are saying including the original air date is irrelevant is because you are choosing to ignore it. :roll: To take the position that a "new" episode is defined based upon whether DVBlink has ever recorded it is a somewhat nonsensical way of looking at content. What you are basically saying is the rest of the world, including the EPG data providers, are wrong to flag episodes as new or repeat because the DVBlink mechanism for filtering is better? The definition of a new episode is one that has never been broadcast. That's how the EPG guide data defines it, how most DVRs define it and even how most regular human beings define a new program.
RTK

Postby Oberon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:20 pm

What I am saying is that it is important for an informative purpose - to know that it is not new, it was broadcast before.
But for filtering previously already recorded content - it is irrelevant.
Something was broadcast a year ago, but you have not seen it. Why should DVBLink skip it in its recording schedule?
Oberon

Postby RTK » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:35 pm

FIrst, let me say I appreciate your willingness to listen and hope that my comments are taken constructively and not as a criticism.

The answer to your question regarding how to record old episodes which you have not seen is simple, you setup series recording option to "all" and both new and repeat episodes are recorded.

Now if you want to be complex, you could have series recording options for:
"new" (as defined by EPG data)
"unwatched" (currently what you consider new)
"all"

I'm not saying this is necessary but it would allow your current algorithm to coexist with how the EPG data providers define new/repeat content.
Last edited by RTK on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RTK

Postby Charles R » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Oberon wrote:Something was broadcast a year ago, but you have not seen it. Why should DVBLink skip it in its recording schedule?

To directly answer your question: Just because it hasn't been recorded does not mean I haven't seen it or I wish it to be recorded.

I understand the approach if it hasn't been recorded it's "new" and that method certainly has merit. At the same time it doesn't work for many people. Here is a perfect example...

My local CBS broadcasts repeats of The Big Bang Theory (during non prime time) as well as the first run shows. As soon as I set up the series it was going to record dozens a day all of which I have already seen. I can force it to record only at a certain time but CBS has moved their time around not to mention the day of week. So I might very well miss new episodes. There are numerous similar conditions where "if I haven't' recorded it I want it recorded" breaks down as well.

If I begin to use your software and have seen all of a series up until this point I have no interest in recording previous episodes. The current method is great in theory. In reality it doesn't handle many actual real life conditions. I have used a "new" flag with TiVo and Windows Media Center for a decade and a half and it has always meet my needs.
I think this is even more important as there isn't a priority list that I'm aware of. So recording repeats (I have already seen) might very well prevent a new recording I haven't because all of the tuners are use.
Last edited by Charles R on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles R

Postby Oberon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:16 pm

Make a new topic in the Feature request section and describe your feature there.
Oberon

Postby RTK » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi Oberon,
After much thought, best solution is to keep your existing Series Recording options including DVBlink algorithm and just add option to record only "new" episodes, ie episode air date matches current date. This is similar to options in Tivo. Series recording options would be:

"New" : Records new episode as definied by EPG data, air date matches current day.
"New with unwatched Repeats" : Records new episodes as currently defined by DVBlink algorithm and which have not been recorded within a specified time frame.
"All": Records all episodes including new, repeat or previously recorded.

Per your suggestion I have created a post which details suggestions to improve the DVBlink series recording options. Please see:

http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=29407&p=101486#p101486

Thank you for considering these requests
Last edited by RTK on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RTK

Postby Videonisse » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:36 am

+1
Win 7 64-bit SP1, Intel i5-3570K 3,4GHz HD 4000 Graphics, 6GB, TBS 6984 S2 Quad,TBS 6280 T2 Dual
DVBLink 5.5.0 Connect & TVSource (mc_recorder), CD S Thor 0.8W,FTA Aastra 19.2E, S FTA T2, ACAMD 0.6.2
Clients iPhone 4S 5S 6S, iPad2 iOS 9,Win 7 PCs
Videonisse

Postby rmeden » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:26 am

I think we have a difference in "US"/"Non-US" mindset here.

In the US, we generally watch U.S. shows... so to take that farther, we usually only care about *NEW* episodes of programs.

During the "off season" networks sometimes fill the timeslot with repeats... sometimes from previous years, that the DVR may not know about. That's why the "new" flag and Original Air Date are important... so a DVR can be set to only record new shows, and not waste time on repeats. Heck, some channels show many old repeats of a series in a single day, but those can usually be filtered out by recording a series only when it is on a specific channel.

I understand that other countries sometimes lag US shows by a season or two, so the "new" flag (which shouldn't be set, IMHO), and Original Air Date, aren't as useful. BBC shows in the U.S. are the same way... but to a U.S. consumer, that is by far the exception rather than the rule.

The "New" flag and Original Air Date are two main keys to determining what I record with my devices.
rmeden

Postby RTK » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:15 pm

rmeden wrote:I think we have a difference in "US"/"Non-US" mindset here.

In the US, we generally watch U.S. shows... so to take that farther, we usually only care about *NEW* episodes of programs.

During the "off season" networks sometimes fill the timeslot with repeats... sometimes from previous years, that the DVR may not know about. That's why the "new" flag and Original Air Date are important... so a DVR can be set to only record new shows, and not waste time on repeats. Heck, some channels show many old repeats of a series in a single day, but those can usually be filtered out by recording a series only when it is on a specific channel.

I understand that other countries sometimes lag US shows by a season or two, so the "new" flag (which shouldn't be set, IMHO), and Original Air Date, aren't as useful. BBC shows in the U.S. are the same way... but to a U.S. consumer, that is by far the exception rather than the rule.

The "New" flag and Original Air Date are two main keys to determining what I record with my devices.

Thank you for explaining why implementing the "new" flag and providing original episode air date is so important for US(North America) DVBlink users although it would benefit non-US users as well. Hopefully Oberon now has a better understanding of the issue and will consider adding the option to record only "new" episodes based upon flags provided in EPG data and original air date.
RTK

Previous

Return to General