Jerking (Pi2 as Server and Inverto Airscreen as SAT/IP-Tuner

Discuss DVBLink on Raspberry Pi platform here!

Jerking (Pi2 as Server and Inverto Airscreen as SAT/IP-Tuner

Postby olmue » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:17 am

Since a few days I'm testing DVBlink as a replacement for outdated dreamboxes (trial period time).

My setup:
- Quattro LNB
- Multiswitch (later I can leave it out)
- Inverto Airscreen Server IDL 400s (SAT/IP Server)
- Raspberry2 with Raspian Wheezy and installed DVBLink Server
- Playback clients: older Raspberry with RaspBMC, VLC on Mac OSx, iOS devices
- Gigabit LAN

Even SD-channels are jerking a little bit. Not all the time, but 1 or 2 breaks per minute; sometimes it works for a few minutes.
Direct streams from the Airscreen Server works well. Records (USB hard disc at Raspberry2) are jerking, too. LAN should not be the problem, it is not busy.

Are such problems known? Can this be related to the Airscreen server?
The DVBLink Server just have to remit/transfer the stream of AirscreenServers, haven't it? Or must the stream processed at the DVBLink Server?

Are there settings like Buffers to improve the problem?

I don't have unlocked the video codecs on the Raspberry2 (DVBLink Server). Would that be important? I thought this would be necessary only for playback/output on the Raspberry himself (I'm not planning the Raspberry2 for playback).

Regards, olmue
olmue

Re: Jerking (Pi2 as Server and Inverto Airscreen as SAT/IP-T

Postby Videonisse » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:05 am

Mpeg2 licens is required for SD yes.
Win 7 64-bit SP1, Intel i5-3570K 3,4GHz HD 4000 Graphics, 6GB, TBS 6984 S2 Quad,TBS 6280 T2 Dual
DVBLink 5.5.0 Connect & TVSource (mc_recorder), CD S Thor 0.8W,FTA Aastra 19.2E, S FTA T2, ACAMD 0.6.2
Clients iPhone 4S 5S 6S, iPad2 iOS 9,Win 7 PCs
Videonisse

Postby olmue » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:47 pm

Firstly, from now on, all the tests are done by VLC on my Macbook with wired LAN. A AVM-Router and a Gigabit-Switch connect all Devices.

Videonisse, thank you! After unlocking the MPG2-codec most of the jerks are gone.

But a few dropouts are left. When playing or recording HD-channels, I get about one dropout per minute. I have the impression, that SD-channels are a bit better.

Originally I thought, the LAN couldn't be the problem. But sometimes when I just load usual Websites, I get at the same time a dropout. Because of the fact, that recordings to USB-harddisc are affected as well, I think the transmission between the Inverto-Sat/IP-Server and the DVBlink-Server is not very stable.

I think, the lines like
Code: Select all
2015-Feb-27 22:57:34:   [I] ts_section_payload_parser::CheckFoundData. Bad section CRC
in the log files show the moment of dropouts.
Where is the log file located? Can I get live-access via tail to watch the logs while having dropouts.

My AVM-Router fritz.box 7490 doesn't give adjustments for priorities for wired connections, does he?

When I stream directly from the Inverto-Sat/IP-Server to VLC on my Mac, I don't have any problems.
Is it possible to make the Sat/IP-connection between SAT/IP-Server and DVBlink-Server more stable? Are there hidden config-files, that I can adjust for myself (with your help)?

In the case that I did something wrong, I will shortly describe the installation: I just installed the DVBlink Server on my Raspberry2. Then I load the DVBLink TVSource, both version 5.1.0, Build 11069. I didn't install any driver for the SAT/IP Tuner, but the 4 Tuners were directly shown in the Source-Window.

On the other hand: If the Sat/IP-hardware represents the main problem: Can you recommend another Sat/IP-Server that certainly works better? Devices in similar price level? E.g. Triax TSS 400?

Regards, olmue
olmue

Postby Videonisse » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:34 pm

One weakness with Pi is that all Ethernet traffic are going through the integrated USB2 controller, the Pi doesn't have a PCI bridge. Therefore you quickly get a performance bottleneck with high packet rates. However, The_Man writes in another thread he can watch and record 2 HD streams simultaneous.
Win 7 64-bit SP1, Intel i5-3570K 3,4GHz HD 4000 Graphics, 6GB, TBS 6984 S2 Quad,TBS 6280 T2 Dual
DVBLink 5.5.0 Connect & TVSource (mc_recorder), CD S Thor 0.8W,FTA Aastra 19.2E, S FTA T2, ACAMD 0.6.2
Clients iPhone 4S 5S 6S, iPad2 iOS 9,Win 7 PCs
Videonisse

Postby olmue » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:29 am

OK. I see, there are people, who receive some hd-channels without problems. But in the raspberry2-thread other people has similar problems. Maybe it depends on the source-type? (When I otherwise have no success, I would give it a last try by using a usb-tuner.)

Today I have tested again. I cleaned my network; only the raspberry, the inverto-sat/ip-tuner and my macbook were connected to my AVM-router. Wifi disabled and no other wired devices. The problem stayed.

I uses the nmon tool to watch for the activities on the rasp. We are getting closer:
Exactly every 30 seconds a disk-write-process stresses the raspberry. For a few seconds the write-process needs power, so that there's not enough power for the stream. This write-processes are independent of SD- or HD-channels, but sometimes the SD-channels continues to run during the write-processes. When no stream is working, there are no write-processes, too.
What is this write-process? Can I prevent this? Because of the short duration: It should be enough to adjust the priorities?! Or - as I wrote before - a buffer for the incoming streams. Do you have any other idea or can you support me for adjusting the priorities or buffer?

Here are screenshots, the nmon-screenshot doesn't show the peak-moment, but you can see what I mean:

ImageImage
olmue

Postby olmue » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:46 am

olmue

Postby olmue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:31 pm

Actual situation: The dropouts are gone, there are left only very little exceptions. But I didn't chance anything. And the descripted write-processes are still there. I remain interested, if my server runs as he should do or if there is still a problem. So feel free to answer me, if you have an idea about the 30-second-intervall or general about the write-processes (actual there is activate on the shown disks more often).
olmue

Postby rwhome » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:02 pm

hi,

maybe you install a tool like iotop (sudo apt-get install iotop) to watch which process is writing

i have also rpi2 with wheezy and only dvblink_server installed ... but no write process
most micro sd cards are very slow ... you can buy faster ones ... helps a lot
i have timeshift deactivated (pvr client option on kodi) ... which actually makes problems (crashes)
rwhome

Postby olmue » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:25 am

Thanks! With iotop I could see, that dvblinkserver has caused the disk i/o's. The most times I have tested with VLC on MacOSx. Timeshift seemes to be enabled, which causes the disk i/o's. Because I don't know how to prevent timeshifting with VLC, I have set the "timeshift_path" (dvblinkserver-config) to my usb-drive. Now the problematic 30-second-write-processes are gone. :D
I heard before, that timeshift can cause such problems, but I can't prevent, that sometime another client uses timeshift.
Maybe it's interesting for other users: Is it possible to disable timeshift on server (not on client)?
olmue

Return to DVBLink TV Server for Raspberry Pi