Newbe question about DVBLink server on pi

Discuss DVBLink on Raspberry Pi platform here!

Newbe question about DVBLink server on pi

Postby clarkss47 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 am

I am using DVBLink server on my synology NAS and it is awesome. If I purchase a Raspberry Pi and install DVBLink server on it, will it work as good as it does on my NAS? My friends and family love my PVR setup, but can't afford a NAS. Will the Odroid-C1work, also since it is more powerful?

If the Pi will work, will I need an external hard drive? Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Tuner: HDHomeRun HDTC-2US
Tuner: HDHomeRun HDHR3-US
Server: Synology DS211j running DSM 5.1 DVBLink TVSource 5.1.0, EPG PercData 5.1
Server: MK808B+ running tvheadend server, EPG Schedules Direct
Clients:Tronsmart R68 Meta, Nexus Player, Minix X8-H Plus
clarkss47

Re: Newbe question about DVBLink server on pi

Postby the_man » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:24 pm

If compared raspberry pi with NAS, i think
as dvblink server raspberry pi power can be compared with ARM (Marvell Kirkwood) Synology NAS (DS112j for example)
But if you want to use it as server and as player at the same time, i gues it be difficult for it
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby clarkss47 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:07 pm

the_man wrote:If compared raspberry pi with NAS, i think
as dvblink server raspberry pi power can be compared with ARM (Marvell Kirkwood) Synology NAS (DS112j for example)
But if you want to use it as server and as player at the same time, i gues it be difficult for it

Thanks for that answer, I have the DS211j, so the raspberry PI should work just as good. I read all the post about the Pi here and also your wiki about the Pi, but still confused about what is needed. Is there a tutorial for newbies like me for the Raspberry? I have not even found a youtube video explaining how to set it up. I am guessing there are not very many people using the Pi as a PVR backend, and I don't understand why.
Server: Synology DS211j running DSM 5.1 DVBLink TVSource 5.1.0, EPG PercData 5.1
clarkss47

Postby the_man » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:32 pm

I use Raspberry Pi B+ model with OpenELEC (An XBMC Media Centre)and it is good enough as a player, and need to overlock to mode 'Medium' or 'high'
In this modes it must to be enough powerfull to be as a dvblink server
You may get some answers there http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... rry_Pi_FAQ
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby clarkss47 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:15 pm

the_man wrote:I use Raspberry Pi B+ model with OpenELEC (An XBMC Media Centre)and it is good enough as a player, and need to overlock to mode 'Medium' or 'high'
In this modes it must to be enough powerfull to be as a dvblink server
You may get some answers there http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... rry_Pi_FAQ

I really appreciate your answers. I will be using the Pi as a server only, so you think it will work for that purpose? I am almost ready to pull the trigger on purchasing one just for testing purposes. My goal is to be able to have an inexpensive PVR server, with an inexpensive external hard drive, and a set of rabbit ears. I will use another android TV box, ex. the Tronsmart Vega S89H (which I am using now as my PVR frontend and it works great) as my PVR.

So, if this works, I will have a complete DVR for around $241 US, does this seem correct?
Raspberry PI and 8 gig micro SD card >> $40
DVBLink TV source >> $14 US
DVBLink EPG source >> $7 US
External HD >> $65
Rabbit ears >> $15
Android TV box for a player >> $100
clarkss47

Postby clarkss47 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Since my Tronsmart Vega S89 with a quad core Amlogic CPU is more powerful than the Pi, I thought I would try to make it work like the Pi and become a server. Since I could not get the DVBLink server to install on my S89, I looked for something else to install on it. I found a modified version of OpenELEC that would run on my Vega, so I installed it. Since I am using the HDHomerun Dual OT networked tuners, it was very simple to get my Android box to become a sever, because OpenELEC has the drivers for my HDHomerun tuners built in, along with the tvheadend server built in.

By installing tvheadend server with my tuners, I was able to make my Vega a stand alone PVR solution. I have proven that these newer boxes have the power to be a complete backend for a PVR and a player. The channel changing are very, very fast, only one or two seconds to change change channels since the server and player are running on the same device. I was able to play an HD channel on my Android box flawlessly, no skips or dropped frames, at the same time playing another HD channel on my computer running Kodi, and again no dropped or skipped frames.

Since, tvheadend is very difficult to set up, at least for me, I would love to have DVBLink ported to my Android box.
clarkss47

Return to DVBLink TV Server for Raspberry Pi