pi launch

Discuss DVBLink on Raspberry Pi platform here!

pi launch

Postby ashley » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:42 am

Hi, I'm really struggling to understand why someone would want to use a pi as a dvblink server (or even a NAS drive for that matter).
The problems with both of these solutions is that they only support USB tuners and they don't have the horsepower to handle transcoding to mobile/WiFi devices or ability to handle multiple HD feeds.
Even the USB and networking chipsets are being questioned as suitable devices for squeezelite clients.
The new cuboxes are more interesting because of the relative horsepower they have.
The pi works great as a server for oscam (and embedded applications) but for TV server applications really not so sure.
Would it not be better to release DVBLogic as source code that could be compiled under more high power Linux serves?

The pi could make an excellent DVBLogic client but the software is still lacking in comparison to MCE clients.

Anyone else have similar views here or am I on my own?
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
DVBlink 6 on Win10 x64 with Nexus 5x/9/SPMC/Kodi clients
Dumped MCE for Nvidia Shield TV running SPMC v17 with dvblink plugin!
Dumped Sky TV for being a waste of money
ashley

Re: pi launch

Postby Oberon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:37 am

Every platform has its own purpose for existence.

DVBLink for NAS platform is mainly used to record TV content directly to the hard disk of a NAS and distribute live and recorded TV over the home network. It does not need transcoding and almost every existing NAS is capable of doing that. The benefits - low power, low noise (comparing to PC-based system), all content (audio, music, video, tv recordings) in the same place, accessible for a variety of devices 24/7 on the home network. DLNA TVs/players can play SD and HD content perfectly ok, mobile clients can without issues play not-transcoded SD content and some - also HD content. NASes can handle in this case 2-4 HD streams without any issues. And you can also program TV recordings from outside with web interface of mobile clients. A perfect home TV server.

Raspberry Pi is a platform for enthusiasts and price of DVBLink for that platform also reflects this. You can make a small and cheap xbmc-based mediacenter out of it or use it as a small home TV server that can serve/record 1-2 channels at the same time. Again - all clients will continue working with it. It is only that number of simultaneous channels is limited.

And as for building DVBLink for desktop Linux system - I personally do not see much added value of it at the moment. If someone needs PC-based TV server - we have DVBLink for Windows.
Oberon

Postby noggin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:28 pm

I think one of the big barriers to the Raspberry Pi is the not-great USB driver in the Pi kernel.

Initially a lot of DVB USB tuners were unusable due to the huge number of lost/corrupt packets. Even with the newer branch that fixes some of the USB issues, I still don't get reliable DVB-T2 reception with the PCTV 290e stick (DVB-T services are reasonable - with only a few dropped packets, but T2 is still out of the question). Also because the Ethernet port is hanging off the same USB bus as the USB ports, you are pushing the USB chipset pretty heavily on the Pi.

I'd seriously look at the Beaglebone Black as an additional platform. It looks to have more robust IO (and significantly more powerful CPU) and is at a very similar price point - though it doesn't have Video acceleration so is not useful as a Media Centre, just a networked tuner. There are some other ARM platforms - ODroid and Cubox/Cubox-i which are probably more capable and more powerful. The Cubox-i in particuarly could be very exciting as a low-cost all-in-one box (SATA, GigE, Dual or Quad Core CPU AND the VPU is opening up for hardware acceleration - and it has a case)

As for Linux x86 support. I'd REALLY like it. Windows has lots of flaws which are solved in Linux in server terms. I'd love to be able to have a Linux x86 server running DVB Logic acting as a networked TV Server to both Media Center and XBMC clients, and with the horsepower to do transcoding (which the ARM boxes don't have). Being able to run OSCAM on the same box would also be useful. At the moment we Linux fans are being pushed towards TV Headend or Myth TV - but the DVB Logic TV Source set-up is so much more flexible I'd love to be able to run it on a Linux x86 box instead.
noggin

Postby noggin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Sadly, as expected, I just installed on my Raspberry Pi as a trial, and have the same issues that I had when running TV Headend on the Pi.

Dropped or corrupt packets from my USB DVB-T/T2 stick (PCTV 290e) - apparently caused by dodgy USB drivers (which are much improved admittedly) on the Pi. As the Pi also uses the same, single, USB2 bus for Ethernet duties, it is getting doubly stressed I guess.

DVB-T channels (on 100% signal with 0 errors using x86 Linux or Win MCE with the same tuner and aerial/antenna feed) have intermittent corruption. DVB-T2 channels pretty much constant.

Will the .deb install on other ARM_HF Ubuntu/Debian platforms (ODroid, Cubox, Beagleboard Black, PogoPlug, SheevaPlug etc.) or is it tied to the Pi? It would be great if it worked on the other low-cost ARM platforms with better network and USB support. (ISTR that some of the PogoPlugs have separate Ethernet, USB and SATA sub-systems reducing the stress on the USB modules for streaming and recording)
noggin

Postby yamcenutzer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Oberon wrote:Every platform has its own purpose for existence.

And as for building DVBLink for desktop Linux system - I personally do not see much added value of it at the moment. If someone needs PC-based TV server - we have DVBLink for Windows.

I agree, mostly.
But then, you are limited on running on a client SKU, since you don't know, or can't sure, if the required hacks to get dvblink to run on server skus will continue to work even in the near future.
I actually tried to talk with someone at MS about the OEM types (Server Foundation, and Storage), these are 'cheap', small, and the at least the 'Storage' server is intended for Nas use. IMHO a perfect platform also for a TV server. But MS (at least anyone I know there) is not willing to comment about bda architecture availabilty on servers, and tbh, my impression was that (p)bda in general is a candidate for limited support if not total deprecation.
It looks as if Ceton is the only one keeping it alive.

So for a perfomant Tv Server (anyone using decrypting plugins needs the power) what do you think is the best way to go? Stick to mainline windows (client sku) and also WMC client (still years ahead of anything else, IMHO, esp. XBMC).
DVBLink TVSource 6, 4x DigitalDevices S2 Tuners, Win7x64, Dq77MK, e3-1225, 8GB, WMC local, WMC-remote, testing KODI usabilty for TV since 2012 - still failing...
yamcenutzer

Postby Jeggo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Hello,

I use a Synology DS213Air with two PCTV 460e (DVB-S/S2). So far, this Setup works quite good.
I also own a TBS 5980 CI which is not working at all. Neither with FTA nor with pay TV.
The TBS 5980 CI is also not really working with Windows 7. FTA works more or less.

So I really would like to have a Linux based solution for a DVBlink Server. So I could use also
not USB based DVB Cards. Linux should also be a smaller System than the "fat" Win7 System.

You could also provide a Linux solution out of the box.

CU

Jens
Jeggo

Return to DVBLink TV Server for Raspberry Pi