TS-453Mini and PCTV 461e Not Supported?

DVBLink TV Server for QNAP NAS is discussed here!

Re: TS-453Mini and PCTV 461e Not Supported?

Postby raven-au » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:23 am

Oberon wrote:Problem in short - we build our own drivers from a fork of video4linux tree (which has our patches and ensures stability of the drivers).

Have you considered, as a service to your customers, providing a package with a subset of kernel modules that don't critically depend on your custom changes, or perhaps built using unmodified source where
needed?

And offering that as a "strictly use at your own risk, best effort support only", possibly via the forums.

I only say this because, in this case, its been a problem for so long and it doesn't look like it will change anytime soon and in fact is likely to get worse (with QNAP updates and new devices) before it gets better.

Ian
raven-au

Postby Oberon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:29 am

It is enough for us if QNAP makes those modules loadable instead of built-in. We can then unload them on DVBLink start-up and load ours.

There are no changes from our side to the basic modules that you have mentioned. It is that their version is different (newer?) from the one that we are using and API is not backwards compatible anymore.
We were thinking about synchronizing on video4linux build with QNAP's one, but it is a very cumbersome process as each version has to be verified and integrated.

Instead, we are talking to QNAP to make those modules loadable.
Oberon

Postby raven-au » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:40 am

u33db wrote:Forgot to say, theres nothing stopping you creating a virtual machine in qnap virtualisation station and passing the TV tuners though to that.

I tried it with a Windows and TV Headend VM and it picked up the tv tuners fine, I daresay the same would apply to DVBLogic running on whatever OS inside a VM.

So all is not lost if you want to have everything on the QNAP, it just won't work directly on QNAPs OS...

Sure, the only problem with that is the VM then becomes the license owner.
If you lose the VM you then need to find a way to create a new VM with the same ID as the one used by the original VM or buy another DVBLnk license.
raven-au

Postby raven-au » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 am

Oberon wrote:It is enough for us if QNAP makes those modules loadable instead of built-in. We can then unload them on DVBLink start-up and load ours.

That would be best, of course.
But it doesn't look like QNAP are going to do that any time soon, but you never know I guess.

There are no changes from our side to the basic modules that you have mentioned. It is that their version is different (newer?) from the one that we are using and API is not backwards compatible anymore.

Right, but I still don't quite have enough information to make sensible suggestions.
Are you saying that the video4linux tree that you use for building has no changes to the modules I mentioned compared to the upstream 3.12.6 kernel source?

Clearly you must build the modules you need against 3.12.6, there is no way to avoid that, the module vermagic must match the running kernel.
And you need to use a video4linux tree that is in sync with kernel 3.12.6, there's no way to avoid that either regardless of what QNAP do, since the modules must integrate with the running kernel.

Now, with minor changes to the QNAP kernel configuration from a TVS-463, changing the config to build those 4 as modules so you can access some additional config options to build some other modules you use (that otherwise would not be built), and enabling the remaining device modules needed, then simply not loading those 4 modules but loading the rest will work fine using the stock upstream 3.12.6 source.

Well, that's somewhat of an overstatement, I only have one tuner device in use so I don't actually know about any others.

Anyway, the same should be true when using a video4linux tree that meets the above requirements.

Of course the additional out of upstream tree devices you also provide aren't present in the upstream source so they are missing, IIRC the device being discussed here is one of those.
I assume they are present in the video4linux tree.

Ian
raven-au

Postby raven-au » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:22 am

raven-au wrote:Clearly you must build the modules you need against 3.12.6, there is no way to avoid that, the module vermagic must match the running kernel.
And you need to use a video4linux tree that is in sync with kernel 3.12.6, there's no way to avoid that either regardless of what QNAP do, since the modules must integrate with the running kernel.

Just to be crystal clear.

While there is the possibility of two different kernel versions running on some QNAP devices (depending on QTS version) you will need to maintain two branches of source, and include two sets of kernel modules in the qpkg, and insert the appropriate modules at application start.

I understand that's not ideal but I suspect you won't have any choice, at least for a while, regardless of what QNAP do with the kernel configuration.

Ian
raven-au

Previous

Return to DVBLink TV Server for QNAP NAS