TS-453Mini and PCTV 461e Not Supported?

DVBLink TV Server for QNAP NAS is discussed here!

TS-453Mini and PCTV 461e Not Supported?

Postby u33db » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:07 pm

Hello,

I recently installed DVBLink onto my QNAP TS-453 Mini and purchased a PCTV 461 DVB-s2 stick in readiness to be able to record from freesat.

Today I had the satellite guy in my who has installed 6 cables to my NAS and I have connected everything up.

The problem is it doesn't work! :(

The package is all installed ok but it doesn't recognise my tuner (which does work on my PC), and I get no notifications in QTS about a tuner being plugged in (which I would expect). I have spent the last few hours searching the various website on google and it appears that the latest Qnap firmware (4.2) no longer has the drivers for the tuner.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or if there is a solution?

I understand that this is probably QNAPs fault but just looking for a bit of help from you guys before I cost up building a dedicated PC to run DVBLink instead.

Any assistance appreciated!
u33db

Re: TS-453Mini and PCTV 461e Not Supported?

Postby the_man » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:50 pm

It could be that your NAS is not supported this tuner.
Please, make a repair of TVSourse, set log level to info, reboot the NAS, go to Sources tab, wait a minute and attach zipped log files here.
http://dvblogic.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... _log_files
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby u33db » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Thank you - I will give that a try over the weekend.

I was able to attach the tv tuner to a windows VM in virtualization station last night, although I don't know if that means much.
u33db

Postby u33db » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:04 am

Hi,

I have attached the files.

There is a message "usb 1-2: reset high-speed USB device number" in there but i'm not familiar enough with Linux to know what that means?
Attachments
dvblink-log-20160409-1056.zip
(3.9 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
u33db

Postby the_man » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Unfortunately, it is drivers issue.
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby u33db » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I've spent the whole day messing about with and have come to the same conclusion which is a real shame.

I think i'm either going to have to build a dedicated windows pc or go down the route of a VM/raspberry pi
u33db

Postby raven-au » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:37 am

The problem you are having is described in this thread,
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=30402

It's just that the affected models have not been updated by DVBLogic.

DVBLogic have kernel modules for 3.4.6 only the their qpkg.

If you want to this to work on the QNAP you will need to downgrade QTS, I'm not sure which exact version introduced the new kernel but it's possible the QTS 4.1 series will have the older kernel.
That also means you will lose Virtuallization Station and Container Station I think.

I expect the list of QNAP devices that are affected by this will grow as all new models will have the later kernel and if older models have their kernel updated in newer QTS releases they will also be affected.

I don't know what the problem that the DVBLogic folk have with the new kernel, I'm trying to find out (since I have a TS-453 Pro and a TVS-463, both affected by this), so I can't say if the problem really is QNAP kernel changes or just ongoing upstream kernel changes.

If it is just the upstream kernel changes (and so far I think it is) then QNAP should not be expected to do anything about it (and I expect they won't), that's just plain wrong and isn't supportable for them in the long run.

What I really want to work out is if DVBLogic really do have a problem that is difficult or not possible to fix so I'm hoping for feedback on that in the thread I mentioned above.

I'd really like to see this resolved.

Ian
raven-au

Postby u33db » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Yes thanks I saw that.

I believe downgrading the QNAP firmware would cure the issue as QNAP removed drivers in the later versions, also they removed support for their own TV tuner app which confirms this (TV Station?)

As for whose responsibility it is I'm not sure; to be fair to QNAP they're selling it as NAS, not a PVR so really its not their problem...though I can see it influencing some peoples purchase decision on their NAS boxes! As for DVBLogic I guess since it is a driver/kernel issue (?) they can't realistically be expected to provide a custom firmware/solution for each QNAP device so I doubt it will be solved anytime soon.

As for me I took the viewpoint that the NAS should be allowed to do what a NAS does - I've removed all the tv tuner stuff off my 2 TS453s and run the latest QNAP firmware and upgrade whenever possible...data integrity is the important thing for me.

For my TV tuners I bought a cheap £50 Acer N2840 Windows netbook to do my recording with and plug all the tuners into that up in the loft.

It works pretty well as I can record directly to a NAS share anyway so same difference overall...power consumption is also very low...

I actaully don't use the DVBLogic software as the free TV Centre software that came with the 461e was sufficient for my needs...it can run multiple tuners and schedule recordings but the EPG is a bit poor...really its like an oldskool VHS player where I set the times for recording rather than pick it off an EPG. There are other solutions that would work better if that was an issue for you, DVBLogic being one of them which runs on Windows like it'd do on the NAS....
u33db

Postby raven-au » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:49 pm

u33db wrote:I believe downgrading the QNAP firmware would cure the issue as QNAP removed drivers in the later versions, also they removed support for their own TV tuner app which confirms this (TV Station?)

It's irrelevant, the DVBLink qpkg has the kernel modules needed for the tuners it supports.
That's not the problem.

As for whose responsibility it is I'm not sure; to be fair to QNAP they're selling it as NAS, not a PVR so really its not their problem...though I can see it influencing some peoples purchase decision on their NAS boxes! As for DVBLogic I guess since it is a driver/kernel issue (?) they can't realistically be expected to provide a custom firmware/solution for each QNAP device so I doubt it will be solved anytime soon.

QNAP are unlikely to have made significant changes to the upstream kernel.
Using the upstream kernel source for 3.12.6 to build the kernel modules I need for my tuner works fine so the problem is probably not QNAP changes at all.
raven-au

Postby Oberon » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Problem in short - we build our own drivers from a fork of video4linux tree (which has our patches and ensures stability of the drivers).
QNAP kernels 4.2 and higher have a number of basic video4linux modules, built into kernel (e.g. non-removable). Because these modules have a different version, and hence different API, our modules, which use them - crash. We cannot substitute them with our own modules as they are not removable.
QNAP needs to patch their kernel (easy patch, just changing some configuration from built-in to loadable). Until it is done there is not way we can use our own drivers.
Oberon

Postby muntos » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:53 pm

This affects only some devices, if I understand correctly TVButler dongle isn't affected by kernel changes (if so, just for curiosity, why?) ?
muntos

Postby Oberon » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:59 pm

muntos wrote:This affects only some devices, if I understand correctly TVButler dongle isn't affected by kernel changes (if so, just for curiosity, why?) ?

because it uses user-mode drivers instead of kernel-mode.
Oberon

Postby u33db » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Forgot to say, theres nothing stopping you creating a virtual machine in qnap virtualisation station and passing the TV tuners though to that.

I tried it with a Windows and TV Headend VM and it picked up the tv tuners fine, I daresay the same would apply to DVBLogic running on whatever OS inside a VM.

So all is not lost if you want to have everything on the QNAP, it just won't work directly on QNAPs OS...
u33db

Postby raven-au » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:53 am

Oberon wrote:Problem in short - we build our own drivers from a fork of video4linux tree (which has our patches and ensures stability of the drivers).
QNAP kernels 4.2 and higher have a number of basic video4linux modules, built into kernel (e.g. non-removable). Because these modules have a different version, and hence different API, our modules, which use them - crash. We cannot substitute them with our own modules as they are not removable.
QNAP needs to patch their kernel (easy patch, just changing some configuration from built-in to loadable). Until it is done there is not way we can use our own drivers.

Right, that's fair enough.

So your saying that you actually have custom changes to one or more of firmware_class.ko, videodev.ko, v4l2-common or rc-core.ko?
AFAICS these are the only modules that are built in to the QNAP kernel that are loaded by the DVBLink server.

Have you tried to get these changes upstream?
I would have thought that would be the smart thing to do to guard against this type of problem.

Ian
raven-au

Postby raven-au » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:03 am

Oberon wrote:QNAP needs to patch their kernel (easy patch, just changing some configuration from built-in to loadable). Until it is done there is not way we can use our own drivers.

Oddly enough that change isn't quite as straight forward as it was in the earlier kernel.
The upstream kernel kbuild changes to this area in 3.12 were initially a problem for me too.

QNAP may either, not be aware how to do it, or it may actually interfere with changes they need, possibly in a similar way to yours.

This whole thing might deserve a bit more investigation from both yourselves and QNAP.

Ian
raven-au

Next

Return to DVBLink TV Server for QNAP NAS