AS3 XBMC LiveTV HDHR - does it work?

DVBLink TV Server for ASUSTOR NAS is discussed here!

AS3 XBMC LiveTV HDHR - does it work?

Postby solarlab » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Does anyone have XBMC LiveTV working with the following config:

- DVBLink server from Asustor App Central on AS-302T;
- XBMC from Asustor App Central on AS-302T;
- tried all available XBMC PVR Server and XBMC Client software from this site (DVBLogic); only one that would install was "script.dvblink.client.zip;
- the installed PVR was found in "XBMC | Programs;"
- live stream is from HDHomerun on local network (excellent off-air signals).
- this a simple stock, out-of-the-box, setup.

With the above setup I can only get one channel and it plays (a.) only video for a second, then (b.) only audio for a second, (c.) freezes for a minute or so, then repeats a, b and c. Not watchable in the least.

Question: Am I wasting my time fooling with it or has someone got this, or a similar setup, to work OK?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
solarlab

Re: AS3 XBMC LiveTV HDHR - does it work?

Postby Oberon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:10 am

Your setup should be working. What kind of channels are trying to play? Is it ATSC (HD video and AC3 audio)?
Oberon

Postby solarlab » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi Oberon,

Great to hear this setup should be working; then I will dedicate the resources required to make it so!
The channels are local OTA in the US (Florida) with, I believe, four or more being 1080p HD (on occasion) but I'm not sure what the audio is (it varies as well).

One thought - the AS-302T might not have the processing power to do both Server and Client so what I will also try is only the Server on an AS-302T or AS-202TE NAS (I'm testing both) and the XBMC Client on either the KDLinks A100 or G-Box MX2 Android type set-top box (I'm testing both as well).

The ideal scenario, however, is XBMC Clients on the Asustor NAS since it appears to have hardware (true) 1080p HDMI [you can really see the difference].

Just to have you "confirm" that what I'm doing makes some sense:

- install DVBLink Server and DVBLink TVSource on the AS-302T or AS-202TE via Asustor's Apps
(this tests OK when streaming to VLC on a WinXP PC from the NAS);

- install (if possible?) an XBMC "Client [script.dvblink.client.zip]" on either:
- the AS-302T NAS using [pvr.dvblink_xxx.zip where xxx is "-linux-x86_xbmc12.2" ; and/or
- an Android (Linux) STB running XBMC {KDLinks A100 and/or G-Box MX2} using [script.dvblink.client.zip];

Maybe a better question might be "What goes with what?" since this particular scenario has an Asustor NAS in the mix.

TIA Dave H.
solarlab

Postby Oberon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:10 am

Both scenarios should be working.
The CPU load of the DVBLink server during streaming is minimal. We are talking about 10-20% of the CPU load. I suspect that in the scenario where stream is decoded locally on the ASUSTOR NAS heavily depends on the quality of video/audio decoder drivers. Your streams are "heavy" - AC3 audio plus HD video. I think that you would need to contact ASUSTOR support with the question regarding the quality of the drivers and capability of ASUSTOR's built-in xbmc to decode these kind of streams.
Oberon

Postby solarlab » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi Oberon,

DVBLink Server and DVBLink TV appear to have installed OK on the AS-302T.
HDHomerun (2 channel) appears to have scanned the OTA channels OK (50+ locals).

BUT, the DVBLink XBMC Client (XBMC TV related - Barcode Madness) can not be enabled => Unknown Error Occured - Addon can not be enabled! The Note on this Add-on says unstable. The other DVBLink PVR appears in XBMC Programs and I'm not sure what that actually does or how useful it would be in viewing live television off-the-air programs using an HDHomerun tuner in XBMC.

Do you have a working Add-on for XBMC Live TV PVR?

Could you please provide some detailed guidance and insight?

Regards, Dave H.
solarlab

Postby Oberon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:19 pm

The DVBLink XBMC PVR addon is definitely working and stable.
I am not sure which glibc and XBMC build is running on a AS-302T. If we get a hold of one of these devices we will check.
Oberon

Postby solarlab » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi Oberon,

Well unfortunately your DVBLink TV/DVBLink Server are not stable/operational enough for the combinations with the configurations we are using here.

Briefly these configurations consist of your server/client running on an Asustor AS-302T NAS; with or without XBMC installed on the NAS. The Server installs OK on the NAS using the Asustor App; Server/TV App appears to scan the channels for both tuners; but that's about it.

The NAS XBMC will not install the client. The XBMC Client WILL install on a separate networked KDLinks A100 XBMC and a G-Box MX2 XBMC application but real time streaming will only function for a few seconds, if at all, before locking up these STBs (either with one, both, or the combination on the network).

Using HDHomerun as the source video data; the stream is nominal over the wired and wireless network to a variety of networked PC's, Tablets, etc. using VLC and other players - XBMC works OK over both wired and wireless EXCEPT when using DVBLogic software on the Asustor NAS. We have not tried our AS-202TE NAS as this would likely be a waste of time as well.

Therefore; please provide a direct CC refund, or otherwise advise if the best refund method would be through the CC Co. direct.

Thanks again for your time - and hopefully in the near future we can again re-examine this approach.

Regards,

Dave H.
solarlab

Postby Oberon » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:11 pm

The issue that you experience has nothing to do with the DVBLink server. It is the client who decodes the stream and hangs eventually, not the server. You may try as a test play stream from the DVBLink Server running on a ASUSTOR in VLC or MediaPlayer on your PC to see if it also has the stability issues.
As I told you in my previous message you are trying to play full HD live video stream, having AC3 audio. Not every player is capable of doing it, especially not every ARM-based Android box. This is where the issue lies, not in the server or in the XBMC addon.
However we will gladly refund your purchased licenses, providing that you have not activated them and used a trial mode for your experiments. Unfortunately we will not be able to refund the already activated product licenses. Please write an e-mail with the refund request to info at dvblogic.com.
Oberon

Return to DVBLink TV Server for ASUSTOR NAS