Every time new ReadyNASOS is out, TV shuts down for weeks

DVBLink TV Server for NetGear NAS is discussed here!

Every time new ReadyNASOS is out, TV shuts down for weeks

Postby workbench » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:21 am

Could it be possible to syncronize updates for DVBLogic with ReadyNASOS updates? It is just strange that the application lose TV-tuners for weeks! :shock:
Now ReadyNASOS 6.8.1 is out and no tuners found...
workbench

Re: Every time new ReadyNASOS is out, TV shuts down for week

Postby btaroli » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:08 pm

They can’t update what they don’t have to use. DVBLogic has always been fairly proactive about putting out new builds as needed, but it is nice when we give them a heads up a new version is available. Note also that this only affects USB tuners. If you’re using network based tuners like HDHR there’s no issue.

But if you do know that you’re affected by this, don’t accept new OS versions until you know a new DVBLink build is ready. They never force you to upgrade.
btaroli

Postby workbench » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Do not take me wrong, I still appreciate every new version of ReadyNASOS and DVBLink Server/TV Source.

Maybe someone with more technical insight could explain it for me, but I still cannot understand why only USB tuners affect about new ReadyNASOS releases. What happens to USB support because it stops working practically every time new version is launched? Is it something what could be fixed in this DVBLink application not to happen anymore when upgrading? I am happy If someone can just explain this briefly :)

don’t accept new OS versions until you know a new DVBLink build is ready. They never force you to upgrade.
This is for me not a good practise because security fixes etc. are much more important for me than TV.
workbench

Postby btaroli » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:45 pm

That’s easy. DVBLink package delivers its own kernel drivers for the USB devices, since it supports a wide variety of them that the kernel would otherwise not know how to talk to. Nearly every time a ROS build updates the kernel a new build of these drivers is required to work with the new kernel. If you upgrade the kernel but the drivers fail or are not present, then *poof* your USB tuners seem to disappear.

There is another add-on developer (RNExtras) that delivers kernel drivers for some of their packages, and they’re affected by the same issue. And you can’t build drivers for a release that isn’t available, and if kernel sources aren’t yet available — something Netgear has to do for each of these releases.

It’s not like Netgear is popping these builds out as rapidly as the CVE get posted, either. Anyone hypercritical of latching every CVE as they are announced would be very unhappy with Netgear. ;) And DVBLogic is very responsive to making new builds available as the necessary bits (from Netgear) are available to do so.

In my case, I have a mix of USB and HDHR (network) tuners. So I just know that if I upgrade earlie that I will lose a tuner for a while.
btaroli

Return to DVBLink TV Server for NetGear NAS