EPG function never works

DVBLink TV Server for Synology NAS is discussed here!

EPG function never works

Postby notwist » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:14 pm

Good evening,

ever since the upgrade to the latest version, EPG import has not worked. Before it worked ok, simply importing the data from my VU DUO+ 2. I have tried many different approaches to this EPG problem, from internal to external files (in all possible formats). The system simply does not want to import the data. The logs contain only this line, thousands of them:

2017-Oct-29 07:57:39: [E] epg_updater_t::update_thread_func. Failed to prepare temp epg table for channel 16860000

I have isolated a single channel but it simply does not want to import data. Not from a local file. Not via the default satellite box. Not from an external file (any format).
The system will always throw an error.

So, either I am doing something that is extremely stupid or the system contains a serious bug.

Regards,

Bert
notwist

Re: EPG function never works

Postby notwist » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:52 pm

So, after four days not even a peep from customer support. Something is really wrong with this company since a while. This software contains some real bugs but updates have stopped.

My problem is related to the dvblink server. This problem started with the latest release some time ago. I have spent hours tracing the issue. I have setup a tvheadend server and it works fine, all settings and network ecosystem are the same and functional. Both direct transfers from my sattelite system work, this includes the epg data. All external queries, both xml and otherwise, work as they should.

All settings in the dvblink server are 100% correct. They have worked before and they are working on other systems. It is the dvblink software that is the only component that does not function correctly.

So much for customer service then.
notwist

Postby Oberon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:46 am

You may get faster response by writing to info at dvblogic.com.
In your particular case you just need to repair recording database (settings tab -> recorder tab -> repair database)
Oberon

Postby notwist » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:24 pm

What are the forums for if not for customer support and sharing common solutions?

Repairing the database does not work. In fact, this solution has been given as a 'defacto solution' multiple times and as far as I can see it never works.

This, again, leads me to conclude that there is at least one major bug in the software. There is absolutely no way of testing whether or not the software can actually interface correctly. Usually, we would include a 'test' option to see whether or not the server can actually connect with the sources. Seeing that is is able to connect with my satellite box, that would appear to be the case. Nevertheless, code may have changed that prevents the software from accessing internal or external sources (such as epg data). This problem only occurred after the latest major release; thus the implication is that in this release code has changed for the retrieval / storage / downloading of epg data irrespective of it's source location (internal network or external source).

Like I said, I have created a TV-Headend setup to see whether or not my network, my NAS or my connectivity rights are at fault. But that system can interface and retrieve the data without a hitch. Thus the problem must be located in the DVB-logic software.
notwist

Postby notwist » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:39 pm

One thing I can see in the EPG control setup in DVB is that, when I select one of my satellite tuners as source, all programs have the same number (-1). In all other screens, the channels have different numbers that correspond with the backend. If the software is trying to connect an EPG based on the internal numbering and that numbering is always -1, there is no way it can ever assign any EPG. As there are no channels with that number (negative numbers are impossible).

This again brings me to the position that there is at least one major bug in the system. As others have already concluded, it is not a problem with the settings nor with a corrupt recordings database. Repairing is it senseless as the problem is situated elsewhere.
notwist

Postby notwist » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Okay. Tonight I have manually deleted the database on the server as well as the common settings data. I have inserted a new database etc. After a clean, scrub and restart of the service I had the system re-align with my network and systems. Now:

- After setting the tuners & channels & common elements
- But without touching ANY epg setting, there is an epg
- All settings are at 'default'

If I change any setting in the EPG setup, the software loses it's EPG. Thus:

- Changing a single channel for one of my tuners = loss of EPG
- Changing a single channel to an XMLTV xml file = loss of EPG
- etc etc

What bothers me greatly is that nowhere in the logs there is any entry on what the server is actually doing. Even on the highest logging almost nothing is actually logged that would be interesting.
For the EPG you would expect several daemon threads to start, databases updated, etc etc. Nothing in the logs. Thus I can also not deduce what 'default' means in context of the EPG import. I can also not see what daemon or sub-service is actually doing anything (if doing anything at all). And there should be, it's rather important to the ecosystem of the software.

Aside from the 'can't save to temp database' there is nothing that can be learned from the logs.
notwist

Return to DVBLink TV Server for Synology NAS