Recordings from encrypted channels not played back (HDCP?)

DVBLink TV Server for Synology NAS is discussed here!

Re: Recordings from encrypted channels not played back (HDCP

Postby Oberon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:32 pm

These channels can be played because DLNA server in DVBLink has a mechanism that waits for live TV stream until decryption starts to work. Other methods of playing recorded/live TV stream does not have this mechanism and that's why they have issues.
Oberon

Postby herp » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi Oberon

without trying to be a smartass, but if the DLNA-streaming service for recorded tv would be implemented the same way as playing live tv the same detection mechanisms would fall into place and would permit a smooth playback also for recorded tv (my guess is that .ts-files are read as streams in case of DLNA-streaming, meaning the same way as it is done when reading from the receiver device)...

Best regards
herp
herp

Postby Oberon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:13 pm

This is not a stupid questions. We have considered this possibility. However if decryption does not start for one or another reason then there will be no stream coming at all. And quite a number of clients (XBMC among others) hang completely in this situation. So for the time being it was chosen for the lesser of two evils - keep other clients happy at the expense of some Samsung TV models.
Oberon

Postby herp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Oberon

I can't follow the reasoning completely, I hope you can enlighten me :wink:
I guess for the very same reason you had to implement a timeout (waiting for decrypted section of the stream) also in the "live tv" dlna-implementation. Why did you consider this would make a difference in the "recorded tv" dlna-implementation? I guess XBMC and other clients can play "live tv" streams...

Best regards
herp
herp

Postby herp » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi everybody

Update Post: logging & logrotate, working directory fixed, 13.1.2014

Because I want to use my Samsung TVs waiting for a final fix from the developers of DVBLink, I constructed myself a pragmatic, dirty and quick fix that works for me.
I do remove the fists 10 seconds from the beginning of each recording to get rid of the scrambled parts, thats it...
If it can be of use to anybody else, here it is.
One reason for the fix to be dirty are the very limited possibilities of the BusyBox shell (ash) and I strictly wanted to find a solution without installing additional SW...
Please be aware that there is no guarantee coming with this, it is not heavily tested and I will not be able to support it either because my kids could be born any day now ;-)

Instructions
1) Create a file called samyfix.ash in /volume1/DVBLink/RecordedTV/
Code: Select all
vi  /volume1/DVBLink/RecordedTV/samygo.ash

Paste the following code:
#!/bin/ash
# samyfix.ash by herp, 13.1.2014 (for Synology NAS)
# This is a very dirty quick fix for the problem that when streaming "recorded tv" content over dlna in
# DVBlink TVServer 4.6.0 encrypted content is presentet to the client, wich breaks compatibility for most
# Samsung TVs.
# NO guarantee is given in using this script and be aware your recordings will be tampered with (the first 10
# seconds of the file will be cut off!

FILES=/volume1/DVBLink/RecordedTV/*.ts

# Check if we are allready running ...
ps | grep $0 | grep -v grep > /var/tmp/$0.pid
pids=$(cat /var/tmp/$0.pid | cut -d ' ' -f 1)
for pid in $pids
do
  if [ $pid -ne $$ ]; then
   echo "`date` : $0 is already running. Exiting" >> /var/log/samyfix
   exit 7
  fi
done
rm -f /var/tmp/$0.pid

cd /volume1/DVBLink/RecordedTV/

for f in $FILES
do
  # By testing the file rights we check whether a file was treated allready
  if [ `ls -l $f | cut -c 2-10` ==  "rw-r--r--" ]; then
    # By tesing mod time of a file against current time we can see whether the file is still open or not
    # Ignoring date produces a small risk of false positives but this is not problematic as the file
    # would be catched up in the next run
    if [ `date | cut -c 12-19` != `ls -leh $f | cut -c 54-61` ]; then
     echo "`date` : Processing $f file..." >> /var/log/samyfix
     ffmpeg -loglevel error -ss 10 -i $f -vcodec copy -acodec copy $f_copy.ts
       if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
         mv -f "$f_copy.ts" $f
         chmod 744 $f
        else
         rm -f "$f_copy.ts"
         echo "`date` : Failure during conversion of file $f. Conversion of this file aborted..." >> /var/log/samyfix
         break
        fi
        else
         echo "`date` : NOT processing $f file because it is still open..." >> /var/log/samyfix
       fi
        else
         echo "`date` : NOT processing $f file because it was allready treated..." >> /var/log/samyfix
    fi
done

2) make the file executable:
chmod 744 /volume1/DVBLink/RecordedTV/samygo.ash

3) Add samyfix.ash to crontab to execute it every 5 minutes
vi /etc/crontab

Add the following line to the file
*/5     *       *       *       *       root    /volume1/DVBLink/RecordedTV/samyfix.ash

4) Reload cron
ps |grep crond|grep -v grep|awk '{print $1}'|xargs kill -HUP

5) Configure logrotate
vi /usr/local/etc/logrotate.d/samyfix

Paste the following content
/var/log/samyfix {
        missingok
}

6) done!

Instructions to remove samyfix
1) Remove samyfix.ash from crontab
vi /etc/crontab

Remove the following line
*/5     *       *       *       *       root    /volume1/DVBLink/RecordedTV/samyfix.ash

2) Remove samygo.ash
rm -f /volume1/DVBLink/RecordedTV/samyfix.ash

3) Change acces rights of *.ts-files back to original
chmod 644 /volume1/DVBLink/RecordedTV/*.ts

4) Reload cron
ps |grep crond|grep -v grep|awk '{print $1}'|xargs kill -HUP

5) remove logrotate
rm -f /usr/local/etc/logrotate.d/samyfix

6) done!

Now good luck :wink:

Best regards
herp
herp

Postby fernbedienung03 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:52 am

BTW: Samsung continues to tell me that they analyse the issue and will let me know if there is any outcome (note that I started the support request with Samsung in September 2013!!!).

Possibly, Samsung would take the issue more serious if DVBLogic also could report the issue and request a fix. I'd assume that a request from a business like DVBLogic was treated with higher priority as DVBLogic could explain the issue in very clear and detailed technical way and even would provide a solution approach.

So, has the issue been reported to Samsung by DVBLogic as well, and, if so, what was Samsung's reaction?

fb03
Server: Synology DS213+ (DSM 5.2) with Technotrend 3650 CI DVB-S/S2), CAM: eycos (CI+) from smardtv.com (mainly blue), Smart Card: ORF Digital SAT, DVBLink TVSource (5.5), Samsung UE65JS9080, Samsung UE46F6500, iPhone 5s/iOS 9.1, iPad 4/iOS 9.1, OPENELEC
fernbedienung03

Postby Oberon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 pm

Yes, we have reported it. But were ignored by Samsung. This is also one of the reasons why we are not going to release our Samsung SmartTV app any time soon.
Oberon

Postby Swaen » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:15 pm

There is a similar issue with the Philips PFL 6700 series . It will play the video stream but say audio format is not supported
Swaen

Postby fernbedienung03 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:29 am

It seems that this issue is solved with the latest DVBLink version (5.1) on Samsung F6500. Since I have updated to DVBLink 5.1 I can watch recordings I have made with that version. Recordings made with a version < 5.1 I still cannot watch with the Samsung f6500.

fb03
Server: Synology DS213+ (DSM 5.2) with Technotrend 3650 CI DVB-S/S2), CAM: eycos (CI+) from smardtv.com (mainly blue), Smart Card: ORF Digital SAT, DVBLink TVSource (5.5), Samsung UE65JS9080, Samsung UE46F6500, iPhone 5s/iOS 9.1, iPad 4/iOS 9.1, OPENELEC
fernbedienung03

Previous

Return to DVBLink TV Server for Synology NAS