Timeshift and discontinuities

DVBLink Kodi PVR addon is discussed here

Timeshift and discontinuities

Postby Mrduab » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 pm

I am using the Kodi PVR with the DVBLink add-on with timeshift enabled on the server (on a SSD). After watching TV for a couple of hours the stream starts to get artifacts and if I check the Diagnostics page on the server there are high numbers of discontinuities on the tuner in question (DVB-S2).

To fix this I just restart the DVBLink server and the issue is resolved. It seems to only be an issue after watching a channel for a a couple of hours which makes me think it happens when the timeshift buffer is full. It seems to happen more on HD channels so it could be the buffer is filling up quicker because of the higher quality?

Is there a solution to this that isn't turning off timeshifting?

Has anyone else had this issue? I have seen a few posts but no answers on the forum.
Mrduab

Re: Timeshift and discontinuities

Postby Mrduab » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:48 pm

No response? Has no one experienced the same issue? Having turned off timeshifting I have not seen this problem once.
Mrduab

Postby ultimateinternet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:37 am

Ok, I'll bite but it won't help your situation.

I too run SSD (128GB) on my dvblink server with another SSD (512GB) as the recordings folder that I create with a mklink /d command to shift the public documents folder to point to the other drive instead. (which after every major "service pack" from windows I have to re-link)

I have a pool of 4 ATSC which all provide HD, a pool of 2 HDHOMERUN mcard cable providers that give 6 HD IPTV streams and 3 dvb-s through genpix trix.

Not one time on any client (diverse) have I seen your issue and I have some of the clients running almost 24/7 pulling from HD channels provided by IPTV and DVB-s

So there's my experience with it and never once have I experienced what you are -- I would assume this is tuner related with all else equal but that's still a shot in the dark.
ultimateinternet

Postby Mrduab » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks for the comment.

I think I have fixed this issue, I was running the timeshift buffer on an SSD but only a 60GB one which was the OS drive and probably had only half the space free.

I've moved the buffer to another drive with much more space and I have not seen this issue reoccur yet.

Hopefully this will help someone, it seems having a decent amount of space free is a requirement for the timeshifting to work well.
Mrduab

Postby ashley » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:57 am

just a quick point. It's possible to specify a different location for the time shift buffer to stop having to link to different folders etc after each OS version change..
https://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1b1f77e1c5

I don't believe this setting is persisted over dvblink export/import of settings though.
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
DVBlink 6 on Win10 x64 with Nexus 5x/9/SPMC/Kodi clients
Dumped MCE for Nvidia Shield TV running SPMC v17 with dvblink plugin!
Dumped Sky TV for being a waste of money
ashley

Postby Mrduab » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:29 pm

Thanks that's exactly the change I made to fix this issue.
Mrduab

Return to DVBLink Kodi PVR Addon