[solved] Kodi Freezes LiveTV

DVBLink Kodi PVR addon is discussed here

[solved] Kodi Freezes LiveTV

Postby Ashg » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:14 am

Kodi Freezes LiveTV for a bout 60 secs then drops back to the menu, this happens usually when a scheduled recording has started and i'm viewing the same channel in LiveTV. I have 3 over tuners available, I cant replicate this all the time however.

I'm Using Windows 10, Kodi 16.1 RC and latest version of DVBLogic (2.1.2), DVLogic (trial)

Tuners: TBS6905 - quad dvbS2 PCIe (DVBs) and a USB hauppauge win nova t (DVBt)

EDIT: However, when I manually press record on a program I can watch the same channel, same when I set Kodi to record a programme in the future, via the EPG, it appears this issue only happens when I have "added a timer" to set a "series record", when Kodi LIVETV freezes I can not watch that channel until the recording has completed, I can watch other channels though. (this is certainly what I believe so far, I will carry on testing to prove/disprove this theory)

I would be really grateful for any help, it's a repeating issue that I just cant seem to solve. freeze happened around 22:47, please see logs:
Attachments
dvblink-log-20160312-2247.zip
(53.68 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Last edited by Ashg on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashg

Re: Kodi Freezes LiveTV

Postby Ashg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:19 am

Ok the series recording issues seems to be a bit of a red herring... The issue happens with normal scheduled one off recordings as well.... Last night the program that was being recorded and watched at the same time froze half way through. Eventually it dropped back to te main menu, but I couldn't view the channel until the recording had finished- I was able to watch other channels...
Ashg

Postby Ashg » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:25 pm

I may or may not have solved this:

what I did:

- I turned off both Firewall and Antivirus,
- unplugged DVBt USB stick and deleted the tuner in DVBLogic, leaving just my DVBs2 quad card
- Deactivated EIT feed - I've subscribed to 3 months of TV adviser anyway
- Unticked all check boxes in the tuner advanced settings apart form "release tuner after no activity"

it worked ok last night without any issues, will leave alone over the next couple of days to see if the issue re occurs.
Ashg

Postby BartZorn » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:56 pm

I had a Kodi freeze twice in one hour. Here is the Kodi log of the second: http://goo.gl/cJ40tU

The DVBlink logs are attached.

This simply happens too often. It should be possible to at least explain what is going on!

Bart
Attachments
dvblink-log-20160319-1953.zip
(102 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
DVBlink TVsource 6.0.0
Digital Devices Cine S2 V7 with DuoFlex CI
CanalDigitaal (NL) CAM with CanalDigitaal smartcard
Kodi 17.6 with DVBlink PVR client V 3.4.5
Windows 10 Pro x64
Core i3-7100, 8 GB
BartZorn

Postby Ashg » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:05 am

Agree, I'm still testing, i had 3 days of non freezing, i decided to re-install a Anti Virus checker (Avira) and it starts freezing on Live TV and when i'm recording again... I'm pretty sure it's the Anti Virus checker thats causing Live TV to freeze (i'm presuming it continually scanning the Buffer/Recording file), although i'm not 100% sure, it could be just coincidental....

For me it always happens in the evening at a certain time, I've left Live TV running through out the day with a couple of programmes scheduled for recording... and it runs without fault, i then sit down and watch something in the evening that i really do want to watch and then it starts to freeze!!!

Wondering if anyone from DVBLogic has any idea? i'm still in my trial period, have 10 days left it would be nice know that a) Maybe this is a known issue? or has been seen before and b) that DVBLogic actually support their product and when/if i do buy a full license, they will be able to support me if their are future issues!
Ashg

Postby Ashg » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:06 am

Ha So LiveTV has just Frozen, I believe just as a recording finished..... so not Antivirus related... but defiantly related to recordings, everytime it freezes, it is when it is recording...
Ashg

Postby BartZorn » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:52 am

In my case, both freezes occurred when no recording activity was taking place. Also, no other actions from my side.

Bart
DVBlink TVsource 6.0.0
Windows 10 Pro x64
Core i3-7100, 8 GB
BartZorn

Postby Ashg » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Yes you are correct, another freeze, and it wasn't recording..... I'm running out of ideas...
Ashg

Postby Oberon » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:21 pm

BartZorn wrote:In my case, both freezes occurred when no recording activity was taking place. Also, no other actions from my side.

Bart

I suspect that your one tuner influences the other. At certain point of time (watching tv on one tuner and epg scan going on on the other) "watching" tuner stops producing stream. Can be LNB, can be diseqc switch, can be cabling or power supply.
Can you please check on Monitoring tab, when Kodi freezes, if bitrate/number of packets are more than 0?
Oberon

Postby Ashg » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:11 am

Oberon wrote:
BartZorn wrote:In my case, both freezes occurred when no recording activity was taking place. Also, no other actions from my side.

Bart

I suspect that your one tuner influences the other. At certain point of time (watching tv on one tuner and epg scan going on on the other) "watching" tuner stops producing stream. Can be LNB, can be diseqc switch, can be cabling or power supply.
Can you please check on Monitoring tab, when Kodi freezes, if bitrate/number of packets are more than 0?

Oberon, is this in response to Barts or do you think mine is the same or different issue? I've disabled EPG scan (as I have subscribed to TVadvisor) when my Live TV freezes the bitrate number is alway >0 e.g likes it's still streaming.
Ashg

Postby Oberon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 am

Ashg wrote:Oberon, is this in response to Barts or do you think mine is the same or different issue? I've disabled EPG scan (as I have subscribed to TVadvisor) when my Live TV freezes the bitrate number is alway >0 e.g likes it's still streaming.

It can be that yours is the same. Your log file does not give enough information to judge.Maybe you can upload a new log file when issue happens again. I tend to remember that some TBS tuners (or their drivers) had issues with simultaneous watching of two or more channels. Also, do you have a power supply connected to your tuner? Can be related to power, diseqc or LNB itself.
Oberon

Postby BartZorn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:11 pm

Oberon wrote:

Bart

My first experiment was watching a channel (NPO1 HD) on tuner 2, and then starting a satellite scan on tuner 1. I suppose a satellite scan is about the most intensive action you can do with a tuner. As soon as I clicked the setting button on the Sources menu for tuner 1, Kodi froze. Monitoring showed that tuner 2 was still active, with a constant bitrate and packet count. After about a minute, this stopped and Kodi returned to the channel selection menu.

Next, I repeated this exercise, with the only difference being that I was watching RTL Z. The scanning proceeded as expected, but when I clicked Save, Kodi froze, with a similar display at Monitoring.

Next, while watching one channel on tuner 2, I started a recording of a different channel on tuner 1. Nothing happened. After a while, I stopped the recording, again, nothing happened.

So there could very well be a problem with doing two things at the same time. Of course, this is very disappointing, because doing two things at the same time is a very important feature of my whole HTPC project.

I hope this information proves useful.

Bart

When I am watching two different channels on two instances of Kodi (one local and one remote), until now, I have not seen freezes.
DVBlink TVsource 6.0.0
Windows 10 Pro x64
Core i3-7100, 8 GB
BartZorn

Postby BartZorn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:21 pm

I should have experimented a little more.

I now have seen a Kodi freeze only seconds after I started a channel. This time, monitoring showed immediately that the tuner became idle. Kodi took about two minutes to return to the channel selection menu. Nothing else was going on on the other tuner, at least noting that I know of.

Bart
DVBlink TVsource 6.0.0
Windows 10 Pro x64
Core i3-7100, 8 GB
BartZorn

Postby Oberon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Try disabling timeshifting in Kodi addon settings to see if it helps.
Oberon

Postby BartZorn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:08 pm

I have to postpone this experiment. The pixelation came back so heavy that I had to revert to my old tuner.

Bart
DVBlink TVsource 6.0.0
Windows 10 Pro x64
Core i3-7100, 8 GB
BartZorn

Next

Return to DVBLink Kodi PVR Addon