Issues Timeshift Kodi 16 Beta 3

DVBLink Kodi PVR addon is discussed here

Issues Timeshift Kodi 16 Beta 3

Postby Videonisse » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:55 pm

I have setup a test rig using DVBLink Server v5.5.0 build 11998 (latest) on Win 10 Pro and separate Win 7 Pro client with Kodi 16 (Jarvis) Beta 3 and DVBLink plugin 2.0.0. Records and timeshift are saved to a 1TB harddrive.

For me Timeshift doesn't work reliable at all, I have following Issues (HD stream):

- Rewind doesn't work. It rewinds but doesn't show anything so you don't know when to stop. When pressing Play it takes 5-10 seconds until it starts playing. If it rewinds to the end, nothing happens it just hangs still saying "rewind" (pressing Play starts playing from end after some stuttering).

- Fast forward works however when pressing Play, stream starts immediately (as expected) but after 3 sec it hangs for 1-2 sec and jumps 3 sec back again and then plays from there. If fast forward to the end, catching (up with the live stream) it just hangs trying to continue forward. Pressing Play sometimes plays from Live or more often xx sec behind. It seems almost impossible to get to Live stream again without pressing Stop and Play.

Has anyone else similar experience with the latest version?
Win 7 64-bit SP1, Intel i5-3570K 3,4GHz HD 4000 Graphics, 6GB, TBS 6984 S2 Quad,TBS 6280 T2 Dual
DVBLink 5.5.0 Connect & TVSource (mc_recorder), CD S Thor 0.8W,FTA Aastra 19.2E, S FTA T2, ACAMD 0.6.2
Clients iPhone 4S 5S 6S, iPad2 iOS 9,Win 7 PCs
Videonisse

Re: Issues Timeshift Kodi 16 Beta 3

Postby Videonisse » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:59 am

No one else having those issues? Should it work with Kodi v15.2?
Win 7 64-bit SP1, Intel i5-3570K 3,4GHz HD 4000 Graphics, 6GB, TBS 6984 S2 Quad,TBS 6280 T2 Dual
DVBLink 5.5.0 Connect & TVSource (mc_recorder), CD S Thor 0.8W,FTA Aastra 19.2E, S FTA T2, ACAMD 0.6.2
Videonisse

Postby the_man » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:40 am

First of all, thanks for investigation. I will try to reproduce the issue. But such behaviour has been discussed a few times on the other threads with lower kodi version. And all the times it was related to how the Kodi manages with ts files and this question should be opened on the Kodi forum. From our side we do all possible.
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby Videonisse » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:05 am

I'm afraid it's an issue because client lacks its own demuxer. Some of the addon clients as this and apparently their time shift works smooth and nice.

But if you know what's the problem is Kodi on side, then it would be great if you open a case. Even better of course if also you can suggest how to fix it. Can you take this task?
Videonisse

Postby the_man » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:19 pm

I've investigated your scenarios:
- Rewind doesn't work. It rewinds but doesn't show anything so you don't know when to stop. When pressing Play it takes 5-10 seconds until it starts playing. If it rewinds to the end, nothing happens it just hangs still saying "rewind" (pressing Play starts playing from end after some stuttering).

- LiveTV, HD channel.
Rewind works, but not do good. Tested with "Rewind" button and with mouse wheel . It rewinds but always jumps on some specific time frames (so i really do not know on what position it will stop). I see this in the The "time indicator" pop-up ( left upper corner, during active rewinding)

- Fast forward works however when pressing Play, ...

The fast forward works good as by clicking on fast forward button as with mouse wheel. The current position of fast forwarding i see in the left upper corner at Pop-up. If the fast-forwarding reach the end of the timeshift buffer, it just becomes very slow "fast forwarding", Click on Play button, makes flawless continuation of the streaming.
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby Videonisse » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks for testing and giving feedback! So what is now the next step, are the features as good as possible or will you put some effort getting it working better? :?

"makes flawless continuation of the streaming"

Do you mean you don't have any stuttering or wait time and stream always continues from current live stream without a time shift?

Current implementation is a show stopper for me. I can't move from WMC if rewind and fast forwarding isn't working great and without hickups. We use the timeshift all the time when watching live TV and are used to the instant and almost flawless functionality in WMC.
Videonisse

Postby ashley » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:17 am

to be perfectly honest here.. as a family here we dumped MCE about 3 months ago and stuck in an Nvidia Shield TV with dvblink back-end running on a PC with a quad DVBS/S2 card in.
Here is a summary of some of the issues/adjustments;
- the remote control features of Kodi in general are very basic. On the android TV devices like the Shield, the remote is especially minimalist - but strangely enough - its only really an issue with Kodi in the way the navigation works. All other apps seems better suited to the minimal remote.
- The navigation of Kodi is primitive compared to MCE - Kodi is really based on a DLNA type file/folder view of the world. In our case I've disabled all options apart form settings and LiveTV - which is a little better.
- Kodi has inconsistencies in the way the guide is displayed - one moment its a grid based guide, other times it is a list based or channel guide so the UI is inconsistent which confused the family.
- I do see random issues with the timeshift feature - it's not as slick as MCE - some of this is due to the UI of Kodi which means without a harmony you can't get directly to the fast forward/skip features . I've also come across bugs in Kodi which can cause issues. Trying to isolate the issue to either Kodi or dvblink is virtually impossible.
- Audio passthrough - Kodi implementation of audio pass-through is buggy - for us to make it reliable I had to disable the passthrough of the audio. The audio passthrough of DTS-MA/TrueHD is a work in progress for Plex.

Having said this we'll never move back to MCE because of the following;
- an Android device like the shield TV changes the way media is consumed. ie. more and more content is consumed via the voice search of youtube or through Plex (both of which are excellent), and there are channel plugins for popular services like Vevo etc, so we tpyically end up watching less and less TV.
- dvblink (as a server) under win10 is flawless - I haven't had to mess with it once.
- the Shield provides easy access to gaming etc - nothing beats a family session of bomb squad/beach buggy racing etc.
- when actually on a channel I find the reliability of livetv much better - far fewer pixelations/picture break ups etc.
- MCE is dead whether we like it or not. Windows as a media consumption platform just does not cut it these days - for Netflix etc you need a separate mechanism anyway and its never going to be windows due to DRM/lack of unified control/UI etc. any attempts to retrospectively fit the old MCE files into Win10 is a waste of time IMHO.

So my advice would be to grab a device like the ShieldTV (try Kodi with the family) - see how it goes - over time they'll get used to the quirks and accept them because of the value add in all the other areas.
also over time there is nothing stopping the dvblogic team form understanding why people still prefer MCE and them building that same feature set as an android TV app (the existing dvblink android app does not cut it in terms of reliability/performance etc). and lets not forget the Emby client for android/IOS and that can hook into dvblink natively as well.

I'm on my 3rd Shield TV device so that the view of media/TV/gaming can be consistent across the lounge/secondary lounge/spare room, and its working pretty well IMHO.
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
DVBlink 6 on Win10 x64 with Nexus 5x/9/SPMC/Kodi clients
Dumped MCE for Nvidia Shield TV running SPMC v17 with dvblink plugin!
Dumped Sky TV for being a waste of money
ashley

Postby the_man » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:50 am

Videonisse wrote:Do you mean you don't have any stuttering or wait time and stream always continues from current live stream without a time shift?

Yes, i do. Only some do not understandable timeshifting/jumping when "Rewind" is stopped.

I will add this thread into my todo list, in order to continue the testing (the most probably i will have time for that in the next month ). But earlier we spent a lot of time on this issue and could not do there anything,all the questions were directed to kodi side.
I do not have any contact with Kodi team, So, i guess the best way will be, if one of the users open the case on the kodi.
the_man

Postby the_man » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:58 am

I suppose you have already saw this, but still, it could be useful:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=30524
the_man

Return to DVBLink Kodi PVR Addon