Channel groups in Kodi 15 and 15.1

DVBLink Kodi PVR addon is discussed here

Channel groups in Kodi 15 and 15.1

Postby AndyHenderson » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:12 am

Hi,

I've been a happy user of the DVBLogic and Kodi products for a while now. I'm currently using Kodi 15.1 (DX11 build) with DVBLink PVR add-on version 1.10.9 and DVBLink server 5.5 (11766) and DVBLink TV Source 5.5 (11787). I'm running Windows 10 on an Intel CPU connected to TBS 6280 Dual DVB-T2/T BDA tuners.

I can use the channel manager to add a new channel group and add channels to it. I can then see that channel group via the Kodi channel list and EPG.

But, when I close Kodi and restart, the channel group is no longer there. This happened in both Kodi 15 and 15.1. It worked fine in Kodi 14. Also, when I upgraded to Kodi 15 my previously set-up channel groups disappeared.

I attach two Kodi logs. AddedGroup was taken while I added channel group 'Common'. It might be significant that at line 914 it says it is persisting all channel groups but mentions only 'All Channels'. RestartedKodi was taken at the next start up. It might be significant that at line 1010 onwards there are a number of problems relating to JSON data including a problem parsing type PVR.Details.ChannelGroup.Extended.

I hope that helps,

Andy
Attachments
Logs.zip
(33.09 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
AndyHenderson

Re: Channel groups in Kodi 15 and 15.1

Postby Oberon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:21 am

Are you making channel groups in dvblink config interface or in kodi itself?
Oberon

Postby AndyHenderson » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:34 pm

In Kodi.

And to remove W10 and DX11 from the picture, I get the same problem running Kodi 15 on a W7 laptop.

Andy
AndyHenderson

Postby Oberon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:51 pm

This is because DVBLink v5.5.0 has built--in support for favorites, which overwrites your favorites in Kodi.
Just make favorites in DVBLink config interface, not in Kodi.
Oberon

Postby AndyHenderson » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply. If it's possible to add a warning message when the add-on is about to overwrite the Kodi channel groups, that would be helpful. I'd seen that Favourites were now supported in 5.5 but hadn't understood the implications for Kodi.

I've had a go at creating favourites and I can see that's a better way to do it since the favourites are propagated to all attached devices. Nice. As things stand, however, the channels are added in an arbitrary order in the Kodi channel groups. I'm able to re-order the 'All channels' group in Kodi through the Kodi channel manager, but that has no effect on channel groups. Previously I was able to control the order of channel groups by adding channels to each group in the desired sequence.

This article in the wiki: http://dvblogic.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... l_settings explains how to change channel numbers, but I'm uncertain of the implications. If I renumber the channels, will that change the order they appear in Kodi? Will the numbering survive a channel rescan (so I have to re-number only new channels)? Kodi has the following three settings under 'TV':

1. Synchronise channel groups with backend(s) - set on my media centre PC which I guess is why my groups got overwritten
2. Use channel order from backend(s)
3. Use channel number from backend(s)

Options 2 and 3 are currently off. Do these settings have any effect on DVBLink add-on/Kodi? If I change 2. and 3. to on, does that mean ordering will be controlled by the channel numbers in DVBLink and that I can rescan channels in DVBLink without having to make changes in Kodi?

Sorry for all the questions. I can obviously try by experimentation, but I don't want to mess up my config.

Andy
AndyHenderson

Postby the_man » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:04 pm

AndyHenderson wrote:...
1. Synchronise channel groups with backend(s) - set on my media centre PC which I guess is why my groups got overwritten
2. Use channel order from backend(s)
3. Use channel number from backend(s)

The 2-nd and 3-rd options have effect on DVBLink add-on/Kodi, in that way all channels order/number gets from the backend ( from dvblink server).
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby AndyHenderson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks for that. Your reply encouraged me to use DVBLink to update the channel numbers. in Kodi I set 'Use channel number from backend(s) and unset 'Use channel order from backend(s)'. Kodi then uses the channel numbers from DVBLink to order the channels in both the 'All channels' group and any channel groups created from DVBLink favourites.

I've also run a channel re-scan in DVBLink and can confirm that manually allocated channel numbers survive the re-scan.

So, using DVBLink to manage channel numbers and Favourites gives me what I'm looking for across all my networked devices.

Thanks to you both for your help,

Andy
AndyHenderson

Return to DVBLink Kodi PVR Addon