DVBLink stuttering with Helix but not with Gotham

DVBLink Kodi PVR addon is discussed here

DVBLink stuttering with Helix but not with Gotham

Postby quicky » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi guys,

I'm lost: I want to use Kodi with the DVBLink to watch TV. I had that working on an old Raspberry B+ on WiFi. Now I bought a CuBox i4Pro and it won't run without stuttering on Helix. It doesn't seem to be network or settings-related as the stuttering occurs constantly ever 3-4 seconds for one second and then the stream tries to keep up (like a fast forward) until it stops again for a second.

With Gotham I don't have any issues.

This is what I tried up today:

- all possible settings in advancedsettings.xml (that anyone mentioned around stuttering)
- new install of the whole openELEC
- different resolutions
- different video-settings in openELEC
- started the same stream on my Android in parallel (same WiFi). No issue
- tried SD and HD streams with the same issue
- tried openELEC 5.0.8, 5.0.7, 5.0.2 with the same issue

I'm really running out of ideas.

ANY help would be highly apreciated

Thanks

quicky
quicky

Re: DVBLink stuttering with Helix but not with Gotham

Postby Charles R » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:36 am

Just for fun have you copied a non DVBLink MPEG-2 file to the installation drive and tried to play it? It should let you know if DVBLink is involved (at all) in the issue.
Charles R

Postby quicky » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Great idea,

I recorded different streams with a raspberry pi client, and also directly from the frontend. I tried all recordings with the "CuBox i4Pro"-OpenELEC installation (5.0.8 ). All run fluently! But Live-TV is buffering (stuttering) constantly. So there seems to be an issue with the dvblink-addon running under a freescale-processor. Any idea what I can do to make it work?
quicky

Postby quicky » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Really noone got any idea what else to do in order to resolve this?
quicky

Postby Charles R » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:03 pm

quicky wrote:Really noone got any idea what else to do in order to resolve this?

Do you see the issue only with live TV or also with DVBLink recordings? You are using WiFi? Perhaps that's an issue on the box or it's getting over taxed CPU wise for one reason or another. If recordings playback fine via local storage I would guess WiFi related...
Charles R

Postby quicky » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi again,

that's the thing: It only happens with LiveTV. So even recordings that I made with DVBLink XBMC Client (installed on a Raspberry PI2) play fine on the Cubox (via DVBLink XBMC Client). The recordings are stored on the QNAP DVBLink Server. And its for both (LAN and W-LAN).
quicky

Postby Charles R » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:14 am

I'm only throwing wild punches as I don't know the details of your installation... remember live TV takes twice the bandwidth over a recording if you are using network tuners. The NAS has to receive and transmit the data. If you watch half a show live it stutters... then you tell it to record the next half and later play it back and it doesn't stutter?
Charles R

Postby quicky » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Hey again,

thanks for your help and sorry for not getting back to you earlier: I tried all possible solutions. Nothing changed the situation. To be honest: I gave up with the CuBox i4Pro and used the Raspberry2. Now there's a new OpenElec release (Kodi 15.0 Isengard – Beta 1). I know it's a beta but everything works without issues except the DVBLink client.

Same phenomenon: Constant stuttering/buffering (even with SD channels, low resolution, wired LAN etc.).

I'm lost. Isn't there a standardized approach of identifying the issue.

Please help.

Thanks and best regards,

quicky
quicky

Postby Plantje » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:19 pm

I had some stuttering on an older laptop. From the video acceleration option I selected to use only software acceleration rather than hardware acceleration. Strange enough that did the trick for me.
Plantje

Postby quicky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:02 am

Thanks for the feedback. I found the mentioned option in a screenshot on a website, however it seems that this is only available on some plattforms. The cubox doesn't have that option.
quicky

Postby Plantje » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am

That's too bad!

You are looking at live TV right? I assume you have already looked into transcoding.

Yesterday I noticed that the laptop that I had some issues with generated a lag between audio and video during playback of recorded TV. So, it looks like I didn't solve all issues. I need to look into that. That is strange, because live TV doesn't create that issue. I do see the CPU at 99%, so that must be the issue. Still strange!
Plantje

Postby quicky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:40 pm

I followed the exact same installation steps with Raspberrys before. No issues, just with DVBLink von Cubox :-( It seems to be a bug.
quicky

Postby the_man » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:06 am

First of all i want say that most probably it's Kodi related issue (It may be associated with the implementation of a video decoder for each particular platform or so ... ). So in that case, sorry, but we can't help you. Only way ask help at Kodi forum.

But to be sure I would like to take a look at log files from dvblink server. Can you set log level to info, restart dvblink server, reproduce that issue and attach zipped log file here?
Also it would be great, if you will attach kodi log with reproduced issue.
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Return to DVBLink Kodi PVR Addon