DVBLink XBMC addon

DVBLink Kodi PVR addon is discussed here

DVBLink XBMC addon

Postby phobosman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi,

Great work with the official XBMC add-on, look very promising! Can almost replace my Media Center setup..

I have a few issues..

EPG
In the EPG, only current show are visible. And if I select a channel to browse all shows on that channel, the time format are wrong, e.g. if a show starts at 23:30 the channel EPG list display 2323:30 ??

It seems like it's only possible to use the XBMC addon if dvblinks own recording service is used (dlrecorder). If I use mc_recorder it's not possible to show anything.

Subtitles
Subtitles does not seems to work on channels that uses dvb-text subtitles. e.g. National Geographic Channel. Works perfectly in Media Center.

Nice to have...
Have to go in to Program and select the DVBLink client is not so "family" friendly, it would be great if you could direct access the client from the main menu. Maybe just a skin issue....

My setup:
Swedish Cable channels. 4 FireDTV-C tunes and 1 Elgato hybrid tuner (dvb-c mode). DVBlink on WHS 2011 server. Uses Media Center as primary client but also a couple of iPads and iPhones.
Last edited by phobosman on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Server: WHS 2011, 3 FireDTV DVB-C and 2 Elgato hybrid tuners. DVBLink server and connect v4. XMLTV source.
Clients: iPad, iPhone and Windows Media Center 7.
phobosman

Re: DVBLink XBMC addon

Postby phobosman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:52 pm

It would be really nice if "TV" could be visible directly on the home menu and "EPG", "Recordings" etc as sub-menus under "TV". Would that be possible?

It would also be nice if the add-on could support localization. I can happily help out with Swedish translations if needed :)

Update: Found the language file "string.xml" and was able to create a new folder for Swedish and inserted my own translated string.xml file. :D
Server: WHS 2011, 3 FireDTV DVB-C and 2 Elgato hybrid tuners. DVBLink server and connect v4. XMLTV source.
phobosman

Postby Realman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:20 am

phobosman wrote:Update: Found the language file "string.xml" and was able to create a new folder for Swedish and inserted my own translated string.xml file. :D

Send please on info at dvblogic.com string.xml with swedish translated strings.
Realman

Postby BtbN » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Yes, i also like the new AddOn. XBMC runs so much faster than WMC and it seems to be independend from the Windows Codecs.

But i also would like to see a better EPG, more like the one in WMC or some other Media Centers(the WMC one is actually very broken sometimes).

Thank you for this AddOn, i'v been waiting for something like this.
BtbN

Postby Oberon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:36 pm

BtbN wrote:Yes, i also like the new AddOn. XBMC runs so much faster than WMC and it seems to be independend from the Windows Codecs.

But i also would like to see a better EPG, more like the one in WMC or some other Media Centers(the WMC one is actually very broken sometimes).

Thank you for this AddOn, i'v been waiting for something like this.

How to present EPG is an interesting question. I personally think that grid EPG is not really convenient for common all-round tasks.
EPG presentation is used for several purposes and in my opinion should have a different presentation for all of them:
- showing what is now/next. The typical scenario is when user wants to watch "something interesting", but does not know/not sure what. In this scenario list of channels + what's on now in readable form is probably the most convenient form of presentation. This is what is done in the current version of addon. Will be augmented in the future with what is next.
- scheduling timer recordings. Again, grid is IMHO not the most convenient presentation here. It usually gives too little space per program, makes user scroll a lot to understand what is when and where. I think that there are two main scenarios here: EPG per channel - a good readable listing of programs for a single channel (what is present in this version) and EPG search functionality. Search is done in the current version on keyword, we will add genre (and maybe some other search types) in the future.

So to sum things up - we will be improving the EPG usability in the next versions, but it will not be necessarily a grid view.
Of course the ideas are very welcome.
Oberon

Postby Heiko123 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Hello,

what's that? Ist it now a direct rivalry product of the big DSD-development?
see: http://www.dvblogic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=18242&hilit=xbmc

Why didn't it together?
W7MC-Rechner: GA-MA785GT-UD3H; AMD Athlon X4 630; beQuiet 300W; 8GB RAM; 8x DVB-S (2x PCTV4000i;2x DigitalDevices-DVBS2); W7MCE-32bit; DVBLink-Source 4.5.3; DVBLink-Connect; DVBLink-Client
... and you can find me: http://www.mce-community.de/forum/
Heiko123

Postby Oberon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Heiko123 wrote:Hello,

what's that? Ist it now a direct rivalry product of the big DSD-development?
see: http://www.dvblogic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=18242&hilit=xbmc

Why didn't it together?

It is not a rivalry product. We needed some time to complete the addon and are grateful to DSD for his development that allowed us to finish the work.
Also XBMC addin has strategic importance for us and we had to do it ourselves.
Oberon

Postby BtbN » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:09 pm

About the EPG again.

Yeah, it's true, the most important information in my opinion is:
What is on now, when did it start, how long it goes and what comes next(and maybe how long that next one goes).
For anything else you also have to start scrolling in the usual grid epg, so showing that information in a simple and fast to read way would be very usefull.
BtbN

Postby phobosman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 pm

What about the subtitles and time format issue? Is it something that will be added/corrected?
phobosman

Postby phobosman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:52 pm

Regarding the EPG

I would also like to see at least now and next show. But I think that a full epg like the one in your iOS client or Media Center would be the most "family" friendly format.
phobosman

Postby Oberon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:53 pm

phobosman wrote:What about the subtitles and time format issue? Is it something that will be added/corrected?

The time issue is already fixed - it is a bug in the XBMC date/time format itself for Sweden language. The update will be available soon.
There is not much we can do for the subtitles, but they should work. They definitely work for UK, German and Dutch sat broadcasts. Have you enabled them under the audio settings in your XBMC player screen?
Oberon

Postby phobosman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Yes I have. But the problem is that I can only select English. In Media Center on the same stream I get at least three different languanges...

If I activate subtitles in Audio, I indeed get subtitles... but only in English. :?

Attached you find an image from subtitles in VLC, if that can help out a bit...
Attachments
subtitles_vlc.png
Subtitles from VlC
subtitles_vlc.png (207.76 KiB) Viewed 16722 times
Last edited by phobosman on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
phobosman

Postby Jaas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 am

Is this confirmed?

"It seems like it's only possible to use the XBMC addon if dvblinks own recording service is used (dlrecorder). If I use mc_recorder it's not possible to show anything."

In my setup i have a WMC client in the livingroom where we do all recording.
Server:i7-3770K 3.90GHz, WHS 2011, 2 DuoFlex Tuner DVB-S/S2 CanalDigital Sweden, DuoFlex T2 Boxer Sweden, TVSource 5.1, Connect 5.1, TimeForTV
Clients: KODI 14 on Win 8.1 + Pi, Samsung Note S3, Samsung SmartTV UE50F6655SB 2013
Jaas

Postby wally007 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Ufff now this is discouraging :-) Grid EPG view has been in place for years because noone has thought of anything better YET.
Looking at the XBMC plugin now, it looks exactly as if it was designed by developer instead of actual designer..... Comcast, Tivo, Verizon, Sky all use grid EPG and with 100+ channels I dare anyone to come with better way to 'program surf'....
I've got ONLY 50 channels in my guide and I am surely not switching away from grid EPG.

Is anyone with serious amount of channels REALLY considering switching to now+next or 1 channel at the time EPG views ???

Oberon wrote:How to present EPG is an interesting question. I personally think that grid EPG is not really convenient for common all-round tasks.
wally007

DVBLink XBMC addon

Postby Videonisse » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:58 am

wally007 wrote:Ufff now this is discouraging :-) Grid EPG view has been in place for years because noone has thought of anything better YET.
Looking at the XBMC plugin now, it looks exactly as if it was designed by developer instead of actual designer..... Comcast, Tivo, Verizon, Sky all use grid EPG and with 100+ channels I dare anyone to come with better way to 'program surf'....
I've got ONLY 50 channels in my guide and I am surely not switching away from grid EPG.

Is anyone with serious amount of channels REALLY considering switching to now+next or 1 channel at the time EPG views ???

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Win 7 64-bit SP1, Intel i5-3570K 3,4GHz HD 4000 Graphics, 6GB, TBS 6984 S2 Quad,TBS 6280 T2 Dual
DVBLink 5.5.0 Connect & TVSource (mc_recorder), CD S Thor 0.8W,FTA Aastra 19.2E, S FTA T2, ACAMD 0.6.2
Clients iPhone 4S 5S 6S, iPad2 iOS 9,Win 7 PCs
Videonisse

Next

Return to DVBLink Kodi PVR Addon