Support needed: Set Top Box via RCA and IR Blaster

Discuss DVBLink AnalogTV here!

Support needed: Set Top Box via RCA and IR Blaster

Postby giepie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:42 am

I am currently testing DVBLink in my test lab with 1x Analog Hauppauge card and a Set Top Box (with IR Blaster connected etc). Windows Media Center was able to connect to the STB and change channels before I installed DVBLink Server.

But perhaps I should start by giving you my needs. My current setup (which is working perfectly well on Windows 7 x64 Media Center, without DVBLink), is as follow:

1x dual Hauppauge PCIe card (I've got 2x STB's connected to this card via RCA and using 2x IR Blasters for changing the channels on the STB's)
1x DVB-S2 PCIe card (for receiving FTA channels)
1x DVB-T2 USB (Tevii H650) (for receiving digital terrestrial TV)
1x spare Hauppauge 885 (RCA input or Analog option)

Currently I'm only using the first three devices, but I would like to (NEED TO) add additional sources and I find it becomes a nightmare with Windows MCE and reconfiguring all your tuners each time you wish to make a small change to one source.

After extensive searching, I found DVBLink to be the only viable solution (and an awesome product too!).

But I couldn't find any information on how to connect my Analog STB's. In South Africa there is no other way to receive paid TV other than using STB's provided by the TV providers. My first STB is a MultiChoice (DSTV) decoder, and the second is an OpenviewHD decoder. I would have liked to connect the HDMI outputs from the decoders (STB's) to my Windows MCE, but "recording devices" are not supported (you know the whole HDMI security issue). So I am truthfully stuck with using RCA leads from my STB's to my WMCE.

I also own a Dreambox 500-S, but on this I am only able to receive FTA channels. My next step is to play with the Dreambox source for DVBLink, but this won't solve my problem for receiving pay TV. The sad thing is that I am also forced to use Pay TV to receive (what is supposed to be) certain free terrestrial TV channels we watch every day.

If you guys could give me any advice and recommendations, I would REALLY appreciate it.

My main concern is getting video feed from RCA input, and using IR Blasting to change channels on the STB's (just like WMC currently does)

Thanks a stack for all your feedback! G
giepie

Re: Support needed: Set Top Box via RCA and IR Blaster

Postby Oberon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Unfortunately we currently do not have any products, which can capture the signal from settopboxes.
Oberon

Postby giepie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi Oberon

Thanks for the reply

That is not the news I was hoping for :(

As I mentioned, I also have a DVB-S2 card. Do you know if DVBLink could possibly decrpyt irdeto encryption (from DVB-S/2 source)? I don't mean anything illegal, I have valid smart cards. In South Africa we also have a smartcard-decoder "marriage" which means each time you install your smartcard into another decoder, you have to send a text message to the provider so they can send back a "marry" command. I suspect the marriage could be overcome, but the irdeto encryption is still a problem

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

G
giepie

Postby giepie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:41 am

Hi all

I have a follow-up question.

Since DVBLink doesn't support STB's using IR blasting, I plan on keeping WMC as-is wrt Analog Tuners, but herewith my question:

If I install DVBLink to manage other sources, such as IPTV, DVB-S2, DVB-T2 etc, will I still be able configure my ANALOG tuners using WMC's internal configuration, or will DVBLink "break" that functionality of WMC?

I have also noted that DVBLink "messes" with PlayReady, could this potentially become a problem for my analog tuners?

Thanks for any feedback! G
giepie

Postby Oberon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:27 am

Yes, you can use DVBLink tuners alongside with other (analogue or digital) tuners.
DVBLink does not do anything with PlayReady, so no worries here.
Oberon

Postby giepie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:35 am

I think.... YOU JUST MADE MY DAY :)

Thanks a stack for the feedback!

Hope you guys have an awesome day!

G
giepie

Return to DVBLink AnalogTV