LineUp - A Channel Line-Up Utility

DVBLink Remote API clients and tools

LineUp - A Channel Line-Up Utility

Postby PRBUK » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 pm

LineUp has been developed to automate the creation of channel Line-ups within TVSource, based on the content of 'Area / Region' Channel (ARC) line-ups broadcast over the air.

LineUp maintains your desired Target LineUp in a LineUp Configuration File (LCF), which holds details of channels to include or omit and allows you to assign updated channel numbers and names.

Using EPG Collector to capture the ARC files, the contents of the LCF are checked and updated with details of new and updated channels. These changes can then be updated into TVSource. The lineup in the LCF can be maintained manually

Full details are included in the LineUp package, which can be found here (Microsoft OneDrive): http://sdrv.ms/VUCErE

6th April 2015: LineUp updated to Version 1504 (TV Source version at release: V5.1.0 Build 11240)

I hope you find this a valuable addition to your system!
Last edited by PRBUK on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
PRBUK

Re: LineUp - A Channel Line-Up Utility

Postby mini__me » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Sounds great, hopefully will have a chance to play with this on the weekend :mrgreen:
mini__me

Postby elyl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Just what I've been looking for!
So, will this grab a Sky UK lineup and keep it up to date after channel shuffles?
elyl

Postby PRBUK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Yes!

The package contains a detailed user manual which should explain all!
PRBUK

Postby elyl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Genius, you're some man.
elyl

Postby peebee01 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:07 pm

sounds good!
Tried to download it from the webpage indicated, but I only get their iLivid downloader.
Could you upload it somewhere else?
peebee01

Postby PRBUK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Added a new link in the original message. Let me know how you get on.
PRBUK

Postby peebee01 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 am

thx, much better. Ill give it a go
peebee01

Postby peebee01 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:33 am

what a massive amount of work you've put in to this.
Read through the documentation and at first it seems quite complicated. I have a running setup using SKY UK, D+ Spain and dutch cable operator Ziggo. I use EPG collector on both D+ and the Ziggo as an EPG source. For SKY I was using the

As I got it all up and running nicely, Im a bit reluctant to play around with this, running the risk of screwing up the line-up and EPG settings.

It wasnt really clear to me, how I could use the current lineup as a starting point to create an LCF and than make only the SKY part dependent on the ARC file.
I have two sat tuners that are used on both D+ and SKY, but could use just one of them to get to know this tool

thanks for the sharing the work you have done on this! Its impressive
peebee01

Postby PRBUK » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:20 pm

There are a lot of options to handle the various scenarios I encountered when developing this - your setup is a good example – multiple broadcasters, multiple sources, some in and some out of scope! The investment in time is in the initial setup, but once configured you should rarely need to touch it. For a 'clean system', setup is a quick process, to reverse into a complex environment may need a little more time.

The 'manual' marker (User Guide sections 4.3 / 4.6) on the individual channels is needed for your solution. You need to create an LCF which contains the Sky channels with manual=0 and the other channels (D+) from the same tuner with manual=1. If a channel in the LCF is marked as a manual channel (manual=1), it will not be changed by LineUp.

If your channel numbers in TVSource are set to the ‘correct’ Sky numbers, the easiest approach would be to create your ‘Sky’ LCF with Process_ARC and then run SyncToTVSource with AutoSet_Manual_Value=1 (UG 6.5.6) and MergeManualAdd=1 (UG 6.5.7). This will result in Sky channels that match becoming ‘synchronised’ and all others being set as ‘manual’ channels. You will then need to edit the LCF to correct those Sky channels in your line-up that were added as manual channels.

Use the ‘List_ARC’ utility to determine which bouquet is relevant to you and therefore the ‘correct’ channel numbers!

An alternate approach is to start with a new LCF, define the tuner_source_names (UG6.5.5) and set AutoSet_Manual_Value (UG 6.5.6) to 1, then run SyncToTVSource . This will add all channels in your current line-up (for the in scope tuners only) into the LCF as manual channels. Next you will need to edit the LCF to change the manual flag from 1 to 0 for all the Sky channels. This approach will be better where you are using non-standard channel numbers. When you edit the LCF, you will need to set the ‘id’ field (UG 4.3) on the channel record to be the ‘correct sky’ channel number – this will then cause the match to the ARC file. You can leave assigned_number (UG 4.3) as your chosen number, hence preserving your channel numbers in TVSource. You should then be able to run Process_ARC and it will only maintain those with manual=0. Start by changing a couple of channels to manual=0 and then run Process_ARC to see how this works.

As you experiment, remember that running in 'Report' <mode> (UG 5.2 / 6.2) will not save any of the updates. Use <Message Level> (UG 5.2 / 6.2) to get more insight into what is being updated. To protect your current setup when running SyncToTVSource to capture your current line-up for the first time, run in 'New' mode and specify alternate file names in RunMode_New_Files (UG 6.5.4). This will enable you to capture the updated LCF in order to experiment with Process_ARC, BUT remember that the LCF is synchronised with TVSource, so I highly recommend that you only run in 'Replace' mode when creating your 'live' LCF.

Your idea of using one of your sources to start with is a good one. You will only need to add the name of the second source to the LCF when you are ready. Make sure you take a backup of the two TVSource files that are updated before running in ‘replace’ mode, just in case!

If EPG Collector can produce an ARC file for D+, you will need to repeat the process and create a second LCF – you therefore end up with a Sky LCF and a D+ LCF. They will both contain the same number of channels (as they sync to the same TVSource), but in the Sky LCF the D+ channels are marked as manual and in the D+ LCF the Sky channels are marked as manual – hence Process_ARC only processes the relevant entries against the relevant broadcaster’s ARC file. In both LCFs, AutoSet_Manual_Value (UG 6.5.6) must be set to 1, so that when a new channel is added by one broadcaster, it is added as a manual channel to the other LCF.

It may seem complicated at first, but once you start to use it, I think you will find it makes more sense! Take another look at ‘How it all fits together’ (UG 1.5) and you will see it is actually pretty straight forward!

Good Luck!
PRBUK

Postby peebee01 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Thx, will give it shot using the current SKY setup as a starting point as my numbering is currently from 3000 onwards .
peebee01

Postby elyl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:40 pm

I'll echo the sentiment that it is very intimidating to set up! Perhaps a little less verbose guide for the next version?

Just a couple of questions before I dive in. I don't really care about arranging the channels the way I want them. I used to do that, but I've given up and just want all the channels to have the same number as the Sky box, with new channels added if they become available. Is this simple use case supported?

Also, I'd like a way to add the Sky Sports 4 "red button" channels. These are basically just channels on a transponder with no channel number or EPG assigned to them, but you can only watch certain football games by tuning to these channels via the red button. If you're not using a Sky box, you can create these extra hidden channels if you know the tuning details.
Would it be possible to have these channels inserted into the channel list by LineUp (either automatically, which would be amazing but probably not possible, or if we specify their details in a config file somewhere manually)?
elyl

Postby PRBUK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Follow the steps in section 11.1. Most of the default values in the LCF are fine - you will need to update the file names, source and EPG names as a minimum.

LineUp updates two TVSource files, dvblink_channel_storage and dvblink_configuration. Take a backup of these then if it all goes wrong you can get back to where you started!

The 'red button' channels on Sky all come through with a channel number of 65535 in the Sky ARC - which is why this channel is on the default blocklist (there can only be one channel on a given channel id). To add these to the line-up you will need to add them as manual channels to the LCF. You can do this by either manually editing the LCF to add the necessary channel entries (use List_ARC to find out their nid/tid/sid values, each must have its own channel number). Alternatively, you can add them in TVSource and they will be added to the LCF as manual channels for you.
PRBUK

Postby elyl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 pm

Still trying to get to grips with this... perhaps the next version could have a "quickstart" guide, covering a basic setup!

One thing I've noticed is you need to stop the DVBlink service, sync the channels, then restart the service.
I think you could avoid this if you output a pre-scanned channel file (viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21295) which would streamline the process a bit.
elyl

Postby PRBUK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:01 pm

I will try and put together a quick start guide when I get time.

Pre-scanned channels take a different approach to Line-Up. If you look at the thread you reference, the pre-scanned channel file contains ALL information about the logical and physical channels. This only works if you have a source with all this information (The ARC contains only the logical line-up). In the pre-scanned channel approach, you update the pre-scanned channel feed and then go into the TVS web interface and manually apply this configuration (which I assume updates all the Tuner 'TVSourceSettings' files) as well as the main configuration files. If you configure a tuner to a channel it cannot receive for some reason (wrong parameters or a DVB-S2 channel into a DVB-S tuner for example) I guess this will cause issues.

With Line-Up, you perform a Tuner Scan for your sources, hence TVSource maintains the TVSourceSettings file with the correct attributes for every channel that the tuner is able to receive. The LCF contains details of the channels you want in your line-up (maintained automatically from the ARC in most cases). Line-Up therefore searches the tuners that you specify and adds the channel to your line-up if found.

It is necessary to stop DVBLink since in the absence of a DVBLink API to update the configuration, DVBLink will be unaware that its files have been updated, hence will not pick up the new config, or may overwrite it when it next saves its cached config to disk!

In my system I have a CMD file which runs after EPG Collector, executing Process_ARC in 'New' mode and this 'New' LCF is then fed into SyncToTVSource running in 'Report' mode. I can then see the changes that are pending from the 'Process_ARC' report. The 'SyncToTVSource' report details channels not found in the tuner sources, hence I know when I need to to perform a tuner scan, which can be done at anytime. Once per week I have a reboot job in Windows Task Scheduler which runs in the early hours and executes a CMD file which stops DVBLink, runs Process_ARC in 'Replace' mode and then SyncToTVSource in 'Replace' mode, followed by the reboot command. In this way the line-up is updated once per week (and I can run the reboot job on-demand if necessary).
PRBUK

Next

Return to Development corner