DVBLink Windows 8 Client

DVBLink Remote API clients and tools

Re: DVBLink Windows 8 Client

Postby Crimsonraziel » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Is this project still alive? The redmine links don't seem to work any longer.
Crimsonraziel

Postby ralphFFM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:26 am

I assume this app and all others require Connect! Server?

I get a channel list however Logos hang and Streaming says invalid Format.
ralphFFM

Postby markwilde » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:59 pm

Yes correct, you need connect server. You can check by trying to access the dvblink server via a browser. You need to know your IP address and replace my address with you own

http://192.168.178.7:8080
markwilde

Postby ralphFFM » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:31 am

Thanks markwilde, that worked fine. Still the app hangs for several minutes when trying to stream then brings the error message: "invalid Format".
ralphFFM

Postby markwilde » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:47 am

I cannot help you with that one. Check with the developer, or try my version (tw teevee)
markwilde

Postby ralphFFM » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:13 am

It hangs also.
ralphFFM

Postby ralphFFM » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:49 pm

The Problem with strings hanging is tht the Windows Media Player requires that the stream be transcoded. The Problem is that choosing a better Format and pricture quality causes the server's CPU usage to sky rocket at 100%. HTTP Streaming direct from the server brings bad quality but limmted CPU usage. If you ask me, the remote API brings little Advantages for a true streaming Server with multiple asychron viewers.
ralphFFM

Postby Oberon » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:29 pm

ralphFFM wrote:The Problem with strings hanging is tht the Windows Media Player requires that the stream be transcoded. The Problem is that choosing a better Format and pricture quality causes the server's CPU usage to sky rocket at 100%. HTTP Streaming direct from the server brings bad quality but limmted CPU usage. If you ask me, the remote API brings little Advantages for a true streaming Server with multiple asychron viewers.

You can get any better quality that direct http streaming because it is the original stream quality without any adjustments.
As for remote API in general - it serves its purpose of creating DVBLink clients. Without it we would not have a single client. Not sure what your purpose was though.
Oberon

Postby ralphFFM » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:38 am

Sorry, don't take me wrong. Sure the API works and it's nice that the function is offered.
Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach.

Here is my situation:

I have 1 Windows Server with 4 TV Cards and a shared CI slot, DVBLink and Windows Media Center on my home Network.
On this Network are also 2 PCs and 1 TV with an XBox configured as an extender.

My goal was to utilize the Remote API to replace the XBox with a mini Windows PC Hosting my application.
My application (using the Remote API) would have acces to Live TV, Recorded TV and could schedule recordings.

When I test your Win 8 App or TW TeeVee I see the CPU usage shoot up to and remain at 100%.
Watching asynchron from another Client is almost impossible.

This is no fault of the API. I assume the Media Player only supplies bad codecs which requires that the stream be transcoded.
This in turn is the reason for very high CPU usage. If I sink the Quality values in your API the CPU usage also sinks.
The XBox's Media Player does not cause this problem. It apparently has other codecs or transcodes streams localy.

All other Media Centers(i.e. XBMC) that do not use Extender (Repeater) Hardware seem to have this Problem.
ralphFFM

Postby timofp » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Any change the Lipsync (Audio Lag) issue is going to be fixed in the Windows 8 Apps?

Anyone tried if Microsoft fixed it with windows 8.1
timofp

Postby ralphFFM » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Like I said, my test show that using Windows Media Player causes the CPU where DBVLink Server is running to shoot up to and remain at 100%. Not advisable if you wan't to continue using the CPU. This is do to the transcoding on the server side for the ACF protocol.

I switched to a media player which accepts raw_http stream and the API works like a charm without posing a potential hardware threat.

May I suggest that you replace the player in your Store App.
ralphFFM

Postby markis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:11 pm

ralphFFM wrote:Like I said, my test show that using Windows Media Player causes the CPU where DBVLink Server is running to shoot up to and remain at 100%. Not advisable if you wan't to continue using the CPU. This is do to the transcoding on the server side for the ACF protocol.

I switched to a media player which accepts raw_http stream and the API works like a charm without posing a potential hardware threat.

Which player are you using?
The only player I found that works is VLC, but I'd like to have a player that is more "touch friendly" and supports Modern UI.
markis

Postby stratto » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Did this issue with API invalid format get fixed?

there is no DVBLink connect server in my programs list.
Toshiba Tecra Z50 Probook, WHS2011 Gigabyte14TB RAID 5 3Ware 9650SE, WHS2011 6TB HP ML10 v2.0 4 gig Ram TVServer.
stratto

Postby Mika56 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:04 pm

So... Apparently, the forum stopped sending me email for some times...

I can confirm that I no longer develop this app, and don't know much about it's compatibility. I am still using DVBLink version 4 at home, so I didn't check version 5 compatibility.
Also, I no longer use that client, I prefer to use VLC directly, or through my Plex server.

As promised, you can find attached the source code that runs the app.
Source code is not really clean, I never updated it, and has almost no comments. Also, provided AS IS with no warranty, etc...
Attachments
Windows 8 Client.zip
(98.38 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Windows 8 DVBLink Client
Mika56

Postby stratto » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Ok much oblidged.
Toshiba Tecra Z50 Probook, WHS2011 Gigabyte14TB RAID 5 3Ware 9650SE, WHS2011 6TB HP ML10 v2.0 4 gig Ram TVServer.
stratto

Previous

Return to Development corner