Dvblink for XBMC

DVBLink Remote API clients and tools

Re: Dvblink for XBMC

Postby spaceboy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:39 pm

i have to agree, i have decided that for me the pi is a nice little toy but its not a serious contender for a dvblink client. it is far too slow and still unreliable. reliability may improve as may functionality but it'll never be quick enough

i read about some more powerful android devices likely to hit the market soon which sound more possible. I'll keep playing with the pi though, at the very least its helping perfect an xbmc client, which is what i think i'll be using in a few years time. for me nothing comes close to windows media center for the foreseeable future.
spaceboy

Postby justinalot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:00 am

I also tried this out, and I am afraid its just too slow to use.

Streaming in HD does not even work, also it takes so long for it to connect, which is strange becuase if you use VLC to connect its instant?

I am still looking for an alternative to Media Center and the XBOX 360 extender option.

If anyone has one then please do state your cause.
Zalman 160XT,Quad Core Intel,2 WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2,1 WinTV-HVR-4400,4 Sources 3 HD S2 1 Analogue
DVBLINK Source and DVBLINK Network
Dreambox 500
DigiGuide Addin
justinalot

Postby CrashingDutchman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:15 am

I am afraid that you are correct and that the RPi is too slow. However, I have seen very crisp pictures on HD channels (especially Eurosport HD in The Netherlands, but it had no sound).

Is it strange that I see so many people talk positive about streaming movies while streaming TV seems to be lacking performance?
CrashingDutchman

Postby spaceboy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:25 pm

so here's more my detailed take

• its great that you can leave it on 24/7, i'm looking for a low powered device to act as a dvblink client and in this respect its perfect
  • moving around the menus is fine
  • opening any of the databases (i currently use the SQL database) is too slow - 5-10s
  • the pi version of xbmc and the pc version use different SQL databases so unless you use an unstable nightly you still have to create a separate SQL database for the pi. i think about 6 hours, but its a large library
  • music database is nice
  • SD video plays back poorly for me, the screen shakes up and down. i've posted on the forum and received no advice, its not the power
  • 720p actually plays back very well
  • 1080p stutters
  • it lacks an spdif out so i'm restricted to what audio i can output as i don't have a hdmi avr or a tv that passesthrough anything better than Dolby Pro Logic 2, AVR actually supports up to DTS
  • this plugin takes 13 secs to list the epg, which would be ok but when i consider there are requests to improve the epg (which i support!) its not going to get any better
  • starting a SD stream is just far too slow, haven't done any detailed timings but its 40s+. quality is good without transcoding, on a 46" tv it looks a bit grainy with transcoding
  • starting a HD stream is not much slower than SD, but is unwatchable without transcoding, again with transcoding its a bit grainy
  • overall i quite like xbmc and i think it has promise as a replacement for wmc, but there are problems around the versions being in sync. DSD's plugin is great on the PC but the pi is not a goer for me. too slow and still some way from a stable release
spaceboy

Postby peebee01 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:42 am

Ive been using both this plug in on the Raspberry Pi to use DVBLink as a TV headend and a mediaportal based PVR client in combination with a mediaportal backend.
The implementation with EPG, recording etc. is better using mediaportal as the backend instead of this plugin, which as you know has only a first implementation of an EPG. But I found themediaportal backend to be quite buggy.
I was wondering why DSD you took this route of a plugin instead of a PVR client for XBMC that would use DVBLink as the back end and safe the hassle of the EPG implementation etc.
peebee01

Postby DSD » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:22 pm

peebee01 wrote:Ive been using both this plug in on the Raspberry Pi to use DVBLink as a TV headend and a mediaportal based PVR client in combination with a mediaportal backend.
The implementation with EPG, recording etc. is better using mediaportal as the backend instead of this plugin, which as you know has only a first implementation of an EPG. But I found themediaportal backend to be quite buggy.
I was wondering why DSD you took this route of a plugin instead of a PVR client for XBMC that would use DVBLink as the back end and safe the hassle of the EPG implementation etc.

There are a number of reasons, the main one is that I'm not that comfortable with developing in C++.
My understanding is that the DvbLink support need to be developed directly in the XBMC source code, hence requiring a bit of C++ and XBMC knowledge.
The seconds reason is that you need a specific PVR version of XBMC and a lot of devices are running the standard version of XBMC.
This will of course change in the future with more devices being able to run the PVR version as well, but that might take some time.

My goal when I started to develop this add-on was very modest.
If I could get the streaming to work I would be more than happy and all other features has grown from there.
Those of you that want a PVR client for XBMC with DvbLink support will have to wait until zeroniak is finished.
Until zeroniak is finished, my add-on will serve a purpose for those of you that want to watch TV through XBMC.
DSD

Postby nexusle » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41 pm

I've read, that the PVR part's now in the main branch of XBMC, so the next official release will have PVR support!
nexusle

Postby peebee01 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 pm

DSD: thanks for the explanation. Dont get me wrong, I very much appreciate the work you have done, was just wondering the reasoning. I understand that the xbmc with PVR is indeed quite new. It s only since this week that raspbmc supports it
peebee01

Postby Oberon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:04 pm

With this on behalf of DVBLogic team I would like to thank DSD for his effort on development of his DVBLink XBMC addon. That would really get us time to do a full fledged development of our own addon. Please do not consider it as a rivalry as the XBMC addon is of strategic importance to use and has to be done in-house.
May I hope that plugin development will be continued or at least that you would feel relieved from your duties? ;)
Oberon

Postby DSD » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Oberon wrote:With this on behalf of DVBLogic team I would like to thank DSD for his effort on development of his DVBLink XBMC addon. That would really get us time to do a full fledged development of our own addon. Please do not consider it as a rivalry as the XBMC addon is of strategic importance to use and has to be done in-house.
May I hope that plugin development will be continued or at least that you would feel relieved from your duties? ;)

This is great news, are there a time frame when we can expect a full fledged Xbmc add-on for DvbLink?
DSD

Postby Realman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Realman

Postby nexusle » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:04 pm

@DSD

It was released sunce yesterday! Check the news ;)

I hope you'll develope your addon finish! I think your plugin have the better graphical integration ;)

So now I think you'll get finished:

-channel sorting by number
-time line EPG

:)
nexusle

Postby DSD » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:21 pm

I guess I should have checked the news on a more regular basis... :)
The official add-on looks good. But I'm not able to download the add-on the link is broken.
DSD

Postby nexusle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:07 am

The link works here!
nexusle

Postby CrashingDutchman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:22 am

They repaired the link.

Does this mean that the new XBMC add-on works with RaspBMC?
CrashingDutchman

PreviousNext

Return to Development corner