Dvblink for XBMC

DVBLink Remote API clients and tools

Dvblink for XBMC

Postby denethor » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 pm

DSD wrote:
denethor wrote:I wish this was also available for Plex :(

Well I might take a look (no promises) at porting the add-on to Plex once the XBMC add-on is finished.
But there's still a lot of things to develop for the XBMC add-on...

My guess is that since Plex is based on XBMC there should be some similarities between the two when creating add-ons.

Dear DSD,
You might want to take a look at new Plex version. Plex Web client, Websockets support and premium features thing ;)

http://elan.plexapp.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Server: Mac Pro 2014 w/ 2xFirePro D300, Win 8.1.1 x64, TBS 5990 Dual CI, 13E, 42E, 07E, TVSource 4.6.9749, Connect Server 4.6.9904
Clients: 2xMacmini Win7 X64, iPad Air, iPad3, iPhone5, iPhone5s, rMBP with MacOS XBMC & Win 8 x64, Panasonic 55VT30,Plex
denethor

Re: Dvblink for XBMC

Postby spaceboy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:56 pm

logos working too! if anyone is interested it seems that when you SSH files off the pi it is unable to distinguish between BBC One HD.png and BBC ONE HD.png and one gets overwritten. So after i'd sorted the icons on the pi and copied them off to back them up it overwrote all my newly renamed logos. thankfully i still had the originals

great work so far, I would say next targets should be sorting channels by number and some sort of epg, whether thats now / next or better.

thanks
spaceboy

Postby DSD » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:34 am

spaceboy wrote:logos working too! if anyone is interested it seems that when you SSH files off the pi it is unable to distinguish between BBC One HD.png and BBC ONE HD.png and one gets overwritten. So after i'd sorted the icons on the pi and copied them off to back them up it overwrote all my newly renamed logos. thankfully i still had the originals

great work so far, I would say next targets should be sorting channels by number and some sort of epg, whether thats now / next or better.

thanks

There's actually a sort of multi EPG available today.
If you right click with the mouse or press C on a channel name you will be presented with a context menu and there are two menuitems.
One is called "EPG" and that one will show a quick list of the programs available on that channel.
If you try the one called "Test" you'll have a multi EPG with all channels listed, by selecting the channel, the list of programs will update and if you select a specific program you will get a description about that program.

The multi EPG is only a experiment and this is not what the finished EPG will look like.
But in the meantime you can use this, since it's better than nothing... :)
DSD

Postby nexusle » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:09 am

Cool!

Have tested it but get errors:

Code: Select all
10:07:17 T:4442214400  NOTICE: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: false
10:07:17 T:4442214400  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
10:07:20 T:4442214400   ERROR: Error Type: <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>
10:07:20 T:4442214400   ERROR: Error Contents: 'Program' object has no attribute '_Program__short_desc'
10:07:20 T:4442214400   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/Users/nexusle/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/plugin.video.dvblink/default.py", line 881, in <module>
                                                y.setup(channels,data_provider)
                                              File "/Users/nexusle/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/plugin.video.dvblink/testwindow.py", line 93, in setup
                                                self.onControl(self.Channel_List)
                                              File "/Users/nexusle/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/plugin.video.dvblink/testwindow.py", line 145, in onControl
                                                self.loadEpg(channel_id)
                                              File "/Users/nexusle/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/plugin.video.dvblink/testwindow.py", line 118, in loadEpg
                                                epgItem.setProperty("ProgramDesc",program.get_description)
                                              File "/Users/nexusle/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/plugin.video.dvblink/programs.py", line 28, in get_description
                                                return self.__short_desc
                                            AttributeError: 'Program' object has no attribute '_Program__short_desc'
nexusle

Postby spaceboy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:07 pm

unfortunately the latest release of raspbmc has disabled the right click on my remote which was working perfectly in previous versions but i'm trying to get this fixed and when i do i'll take more of a look
spaceboy

Postby spaceboy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:53 am

i got the basic epg up but the test caused a script error and then left the working wheel turning forever until i turned it off. looks promising though!

what is the best picture you have got from your pi yet? 720p @ bit rate of 1024 still isn't great on a 46" tv and i can't seem to get 2048 to play
spaceboy

Postby DSD » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:59 am

spaceboy wrote:i got the basic epg up but the test caused a script error and then left the working wheel turning forever until i turned it off. looks promising though!

what is the best picture you have got from your pi yet? 720p @ bit rate of 1024 still isn't great on a 46" tv and i can't seem to get 2048 to play

If it's not to much of a problem I would very much like to take a look at the xbmc.log file when you get the forever spinning wheel.
DSD

Postby spaceboy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:30 am

assuming xbmc renames the log on the previous session to xbmc.old.log its this https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39548367/xbmc.old.log

seems there's something else at play with the bit rate, sometimes at 512 its fine, other times its grainy. needs some more investigation
spaceboy

Postby DSD » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:16 am

spaceboy wrote:assuming xbmc renames the log on the previous session to xbmc.old.log its this https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39548367/xbmc.old.log

seems there's something else at play with the bit rate, sometimes at 512 its fine, other times its grainy. needs some more investigation

Unfortunately I'm not able to influence the transcoding process more than telling the DVBLink Connect Server to use a specific set of parameters such as transcoding type (RTP,HLS or ASF), height, width and bitrate.
But the grainy quality can be related to the stream type such as HLS.
DSD

Postby picturepete » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:01 pm

picturepete

Postby CrashingDutchman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Curious to know how this would work as it is quite cheap (similar to Raspberry Pi in price).

This one is a bit faster though (and more expensive @ $74 incl. shipping): http://dx.com/p/a22-android-4-0-ddr3-1g ... d=18534066

It has a 1.5GHz processor instead of the 1 GHz the one in your link has.
CrashingDutchman

Postby Oberon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:56 pm

I have got my hands (finaly:) today on raspberry pi. Ran it with raspbmc and dvblink xbmc addon.
To be honest with all of you I am very disappointed. The device is so-o-o slo-o-w that makes it impossible for any kind of xbmc-based frontend solution. Every action takes a visibly long time. The EPG for a channel loads 40 seconds! :o Video playback of HD content over the network starts 15-20 seconds at least and video stutters heavily during playback. Has anyone been able to play HD channel or recorded content over the network without stuttering?
I even started thinking that maybe a board is defect?.. Is there any way to check it? Or maybe I need to do some kind of special configuration?
Any advise is welcome.
Oberon

Postby DSD » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Oberon wrote:I have got my hands (finaly:) today on raspberry pi. Ran it with raspbmc and dvblink xbmc addon.
To be honest with all of you I am very disappointed. The device is so-o-o slo-o-w that makes it impossible for any kind of xbmc-based frontend solution. Every action takes a visibly long time. The EPG for a channel loads 40 seconds! :o Video playback of HD content over the network starts 15-20 seconds at least and video stutters heavily during playback. Has anyone been able to play HD channel or recorded content over the network without stuttering?
I even started thinking that maybe a board is defect?.. Is there any way to check it? Or maybe I need to do some kind of special configuration?
Any advise is welcome.

Well it's a bit slow but watching regular channels if you buy the MPEG2 codec is ok and doesn't take that long to start streaming (about 10 seconds).
Also by using the HLS transcoding you can watch channels without buying the MPEG2 codec, although it takes a bit longer to start streaming.
Loading the channel list takes a few seconds but by enabling the setting use cached channels the add-on will save the channel list to a xml-file locally.
This speeds up the channel loading by a few seconds at least.

HD channels are not working that well for me, I'm not sure why since it should be H264 (which is hardware accelerated).
Getting channel EPG by pressing "C" while standing on a channel (in the channel list) takes under 10 seconds.

You might want to check what kind of SDcard you are using since a slow SDcard will have an impact on performace.
DSD

Postby DSD » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:44 pm

picturepete wrote:Has anybody tried the Android TV sticks such as these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-New-Smart-Google-TV-player-Box-Android-4-0-black-Mini-PC-4GB-512MB-HDMI-Wifi-/110936505653?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item19d454bd35 with xbmc and running the DVB addon?

Pete

I have the MK802 which is a 1.5 Ghz with 1 Gb of memory.
It's a bit slow and also it's not 1.5 Ghz, it's 1 Ghz CPU and 500 Mhz GPU (graphic processor)...

Unfortunately the Xbmc team needs to enable hardware acceleration before you can use the Dvblink add-on in Xbmc.
It's currently not that great playing back video and that means also playing back the streams for the add-on.
For now the Raspberry Pi is better than the MK802, but when the Xbmc team enables hardware acceleration it will be usable.
DSD

Postby Oberon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:13 pm

DSD wrote:
Oberon wrote:I have got my hands (finaly:) today on raspberry pi. Ran it with raspbmc and dvblink xbmc addon.
Any advise is welcome.

Well it's a bit slow but watching regular channels if you buy the MPEG2 codec is ok and doesn't take that long to start streaming (about 10 seconds).
Also by using the HLS transcoding you can watch channels without buying the MPEG2 codec, although it takes a bit longer to start streaming.
Loading the channel list takes a few seconds but by enabling the setting use cached channels the add-on will save the channel list to a xml-file locally.
This speeds up the channel loading by a few seconds at least.

HD channels are not working that well for me, I'm not sure why since it should be H264 (which is hardware accelerated).
Getting channel EPG by pressing "C" while standing on a channel (in the channel list) takes under 10 seconds.

You might want to check what kind of SDcard you are using since a slow SDcard will have an impact on performace.

Loading channels takes indeed couple of seconds. I have quite a lot of epg data (using digiguide for some of the channels) and that might be a reason for long loading epg.
Oberon

PreviousNext

Return to Development corner