Dvblink for XBMC

DVBLink Remote API clients and tools

Re: Dvblink for XBMC

Postby DSD » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 am

jzeller wrote:I tried reading through this forum to determine if you are working on making DVBlink a backend for XBMC-PVR builds. I see some people mentioning it and you listing new features and such. I'm not sure if you have used it but it has a wonderful EPG and such. I would love to look into making it a backend. Myself and a couple other python programmers would be happy to look into it if your interested.

There's been a few suggestions and I've taken a brief look at it but couldn't find any specifications on how to build a plugin for the PVR part.
My understanding is that the XBMC PVR is a separate release of XBMC, is this correct?
Is the XBMC PVR supported on the same platforms as XBMC?

I'm very interested and It would be nice to have the whole DVBLink TV experience integrated into XBMC.
Send me a PM and we can discuss this further.
DSD

Postby Heiko123 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:18 am

DSD wrote:
jzeller wrote:The log file is in /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/temp/xbmc.log. You must be rooted to access.

Thanks, my phone is not rooted so that's probably why I haven't been able to find the log-file.

Shit, I searched a frog yesterday and didn't find the file! :evil:
My tablet isn't rooted, too.
W7MC-Rechner: GA-MA785GT-UD3H; AMD Athlon X4 630; beQuiet 300W; 8GB RAM; 8x DVB-S (2x PCTV4000i;2x DigitalDevices-DVBS2); W7MCE-32bit; DVBLink-Source 4.5.3; DVBLink-Connect; DVBLink-Client
... and you can find me: http://www.mce-community.de/forum/
Heiko123

Postby sascho » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:44 pm

DSD wrote:
jzeller wrote:I tried reading through this forum to determine if you are working on making DVBlink a backend for XBMC-PVR builds. I see some people mentioning it and you listing new features and such. I'm not sure if you have used it but it has a wonderful EPG and such. I would love to look into making it a backend. Myself and a couple other python programmers would be happy to look into it if your interested.

There's been a few suggestions and I've taken a brief look at it but couldn't find any specifications on how to build a plugin for the PVR part.
My understanding is that the XBMC PVR is a separate release of XBMC, is this correct?
Is the XBMC PVR supported on the same platforms as XBMC?

I'm very interested and It would be nice to have the whole DVBLink TV experience integrated into XBMC.
Send me a PM and we can discuss this further.

Hello DSD,
I just follow this thread from the beginning and want to share some infos regarding xbmc and the pvr part.
The xbmc team is working to integrate pvr fully in xbmc but this is still in development. On the roadmap you find some rough infos about maybe it will be integrated in xbmc 12 or 13.
They are doing the development in the form that they have different branches next to the main xbmc development and when ready they will merge it into the main line.
I tried already the xbmc with pvr and it works good, and looks better than any tv receiver. only having problems with the switching time between channels. There is already integrated a lot that you will do also, and the skin is already improved for showing all the content like epg and so on...
What they do is they are using different backend solutions/software like fortherecord, tvheadend, mediaportal...which are very much the same like dvblink, and than communicate with an "add on/plugin" to this software for showing all that tv stuff in xbmc same way like they do with all other content!
This means they will not integrate that part of software which is doing all the channel and tv card stuff(backend).
This means also that dvblink would perfectly match as an additional backend and your plugin also..!

On the attached website you will have all infos and can get the xbmc pvr, which is compiled from a guy called margro from the pvr branch with all available plugins already integrated!
He is also doing development in the pvr branch and the addons for the mediaportal and fortherecord...you will find him in the xbmc forums a lot!

http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcel ... build.html

maybe this was helpfull for you..

sascho
sascho

Postby DSD » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Hello sascho,

thank you for the information.
I've done some reading and looked through the MediaPortal TVSource add-on written in python.
But since there seems to be no documentation on how a TVSource add-on should be written (from what I could find), it's a bit cumbersome to work through a existing add-on and rewrite it to work with DVBLink.
Do you know of any documentation that helps in that regard?
DSD

Postby sascho » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Hello DSD,

not really but I just found infos in the xbmc wiki:

development:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ca ... evelopment
add-on
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on_development
myth tv add on
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:MythTV_PVR

Maybe try to ask some of team-xbmc pvr developer. One guy who is doing official builds and is doing the forum is called dushmaniac...
here his personal side:
http://lars.opdenkamp.eu/

and here is the page for the pvr development in the forum:
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=136
sascho

Postby zeroniak » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Hey DSD and jzeller (and every body else),

I'm currently developing a plugin for the pvr build of XBMC. It it still very much experimental, with some heavy bugs, so won't release any thing for testing yet. And it is not in any officiel or semi officiel branch -not yet anyway.. But hoping to have some thing by mid/end of august.

About the python code and help with developing the plugin, currently I don't think it is possible to write pvr plugins in python but only in C++. But I could be wrong :)

/Zeroniak
zeroniak

Postby Skandy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi zeroniak, DSD and everybody.

is there a chance we could contribute to your developement?
*DVBLink for IPTV 4.5 and TVSource 4.5 on Windows Home Server v1
*Connect! Server 4.5 on WHS v1
*Network Client 4.5 on Windows 7 Media Center set as Default Recorder (Switched to XBMC on ATV2)
*iOS Clients on iPhone 4S, 3GS, iPad 2, Apple TV 2
Skandy

Postby zeroniak » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Skandy wrote:Hi zeroniak, DSD and everybody.

is there a chance we could contribute to your developement?

DSD's and the plugin I'm developing are two different plugins, so can't speak for DSD and the current XBMC plugin. But I won't mind contibuters for the PVR version :)

But I need to clean up the code and find a place to host it before accepting contibuters. People can PM me if they wan't to help and in what way - and I'll get back with more information as soon as possible :)

/Zeroniak
Last edited by zeroniak on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeroniak

Postby Skandy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks zeroniak. I'm actually talking about the PVR version. Would love to use DVBLink products as backend for XBMC Live TV watching, time shifting and recording.
*Network Client 4.5 on Windows 7 Media Center set as Default Recorder (Switched to XBMC on ATV2)
Skandy

Postby DSD » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:06 pm

I will try and help wherever I can, but my programming knowledge regarding C++ is zero to none.
I do know C#, but that's not a good choice if you want platform independent code.

As long as there is a different version of XBMC which has the PVR support there will still be a demand for the DVBLink Python plugin.
I will continue to develop this plugin, but I will also assist any developer (if asked) that is working on the PVR version.
All the code for the plugin is available for anyone who want to use it, although I'm not sure if it will be to any help since the development is done in C++.
DSD

Postby Skandy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:25 pm

DSD,

Does your python plugin consume transport stream "as is" (like Windows Media Center when configured as client with DVBlink tuners) or simply use transcoded stream from DVBLink Connect Server?

Thanks.
Skandy

Postby DSD » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Skandy wrote:DSD,

Does your python plugin consume transport stream "as is" (like Windows Media Center when configured as client with DVBlink tuners) or simply use transcoded stream from DVBLink Connect Server?

Thanks.

It has the ability to use both.
It can either use the transport stream or you can change this in the add-on settings and turn on Transcoding.
When transcoding is turned on you can select which format RTP, HLS or ASF to use. You can also set the height, width and bitrate of the stream.
DSD

Postby Skandy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks.

Actually I'm intereted in using simple transport stream as my DVBLink Server is an Atom based WHS v1. Since latest version of DVBLink has built-in recorder I'm switching from Windows 7 Media Center to XBMC running on an Apple TV 2.
Skandy

Postby engren » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Code: Select all
16:14:07 T:14208  NOTICE: Use cached channels
16:14:07 T:14208   ERROR: Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'>
16:14:07 T:14208   ERROR: Error Contents: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 76602: ordinal not in range(128)
16:14:07 T:14208   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\Hans Engren\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.dvblink\default.py", line 864, in <module>
                                                load_channels() #deviceconfiguration()
                                              File "C:\Users\Hans Engren\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.dvblink\default.py", line 319, in load_channels
                                                raise ex
                                            UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 76602: ordinal not in range(128)
16:14:07 T:44516   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.dvblink
16:14:07 T:44516   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.dvblink) failed

Not having much luck trying out this plugin, latest v1.2.5. Is this relevant to the previous mentioned channel name issues - and if so, is there any plan on how to sort it out once and for all? I got 3600 channels, and very little intrest in going through them all manually ...

As a side note, the version mentioned previously (http://www.dvblogic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=18242&start=90#p59824) works like a charm with the limited functionality available in that version, well, except that DVBLink runs out of free tuners when zapping but that's a different discussion. ;-)
engren

Postby Realman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:15 pm

DSD wrote:I'm thinking about adding support for displaying what's currently playing when watching Live TV.
So far I'm only able to add the information about what's currently playing to the end of the channel name (see below).
I guess it will have to do for now...

For this purpose, you can use infoLabel "studio".

E.g:
listitem.setInfo('video', {'studio': channel.channel_name})
xbmc.Player(xbmc.PLAYER_CORE_MPLAYER).play(url, listitem)
Realman

PreviousNext

Return to Development corner