Percdata and Series/Episode information

Discuss all DVBLink EPG Loader products here!

Percdata and Series/Episode information

Postby 4Crawler » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:17 am

I use DvbLink with the TVSource and Percdata add-ons, that's all working fine. I have the recorder settings of ProgramName_Season/Episode_ProgramSubname. What I am seeing though is that when I record a program from a TV series, I get the ProgramName_Episode_ProgramSubname, but no season information.

I use the DvbLink server to feed Kodi media players. In the TV Shows library, I can drop recordings from DvbLink into series folders. I try setting the Kodi media information to Absolute Episode order but it seems that Kodi/TheTVDB will only scrape metadata for shows in the first season, such that the absolute episode number matches the season episode number (i.e. S1E1 = E1).

I'm wondering if I am missing some configuration setting that is preventing DvbLink from saving the season information in the recorded file name? Or does this information come from Percdata with episode-only? I don't see any options in my Perdata account to select anything like this, only my channel lineup. Does DvbLogic have any input with Percdata as to what the content of the data they supply is?

Or is there any way to get Kodi to properly handle absolute episode information? I can look up the absolute episode number for a series on imdb.com, but on thetvdb.com, you can go to the series and select absolute order and you get all the episodes in order, but there's no corresponding absolute episode number (that column is blank). I suspect this is the reason the Kodi media scraper can't match the absolute episode number to the show metadata. It seems this is so close to working except for this one issue.

If this would work, you can get all the rich metadata from the Kodi scrapers added to the TV recordings similar to what Windows Media Center does. You have all the links to actor information, other shows and movies they were in. You can search by genre, year, studio, etc. Without this all you have is a folder full of recordings with a couple of lines of description for each show.
4Crawler

Re: Percdata and Series/Episode information

Postby 4Crawler » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:56 pm

I got this reply back from the folks at Perdata:

The Episode data we have is some sort of "producer generated" episode-id. It's not a "normal" season/episode format.... and our data feed doesn't include that very useful format. Sorry.

Has anyone run across a file renaming utility that could convert from absolute episode to season-episode format? For example, if I have a recording named:

Get Smart_E111_The Not-So-Great Escape.ts => Get Smart_S4E25_The Not-So-Great Escape.ts

In this case, season 1 was 30 episodes, season 2 was 30, season 3 was 26, making this Season 4 Episode 25 (111 - 86 = 25). Would be so nice it that could be automated, either by matching the episode title or by subtracting out each season's episode count like above.
4Crawler

Postby btaroli » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:42 am

If such a thing were available it would be sorely appreciated. I use DVBLink in conjunction with PLEX and have to always treat recording folders as "Video" instead of TV for this very reason.
btaroli

Postby 4Crawler » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:40 am

Making a little progress on my own.

I first tried theRenamer and it almost works. Maybe I'm missing a key setting to make it work better. It seems to choke on the _Ennn format, adding the "E" onto the show name. It also has issues with 3 digit episode numbers, treating something like "E102" as Season 1, Episode 2. Now some of the PercData EPG info. does use similar episode format, like E104 for a single season series.

But the other, more promising program, is FileBot. With the one series I tried, it seems to automatically rename files from Ennn to S01E01 format. I need to do more testing with it. It is now a paid program, but only supports WIn10 and MacOS in the fancy GUI drag and drop version. I managed to find a Win8 install image on SourceForge that seems to work. They also have a Synology NAS version (paid?) that might be nice to load up on the NAS media server. That could be accessed from any PC that connects to the NAS.
4Crawler

Postby btaroli » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:34 am

Seems like the CLI would be the best path to integrating, or at least semi-automating.

https://www.filebot.net/cli.html

https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopi ... =215#p1561
btaroli

Postby lmolter54 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:56 pm

I moved DVBLink and Plex from a Synology NAS to a dedicated Win7 PC so that I could use MCEBuddy to postprocess. One of the options is to rename the file and create subfolders so that Plex can display it under TV Shows and not Movies. So far it's acceptable. The names may be a little odd but Plex seems to be able to understand that these are TV shows and not just videos. Plus... I wanted to watch on the Roku and not the Amazon Fire devices due to interlace artifacts, although the output right from DVBLink played much more smoothly than did the Plex and Silicon Dust DVRs.
lmolter54

Postby lmolter54 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:08 pm

I don't get it... If PercData partnered with Gracenote, and Plex is an authorized Gracenote client, how come Plex can get the series and episode information correct but DVBLink cannot write the series/episode info into the metadata correctly or at all. Is this a PercData issue instead? What piece of information am I missing? When I used the Plex DVR, shows were listed under their respective titles and series and episode numbers. How did Plex know that? All I can surmize is that Gracenote supplied the correct info to Plex. But when I view the metadata of a DVBLink video (both Plex and DVBLink are getting their streams from a Silicon Dust Extend tuner), the episode number is a large number with no associated series number. But both Plex and Percdata are registered with Gracenote. Same data for both? Why is this so confusing?
lmolter54

Postby btaroli » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:15 pm

My understanding is that PLEX expects TV files to be named with S##E## convention so that it can look episode information up in places like thetvdb. DVBLink clearly does get metadata from the EPG, but this information seems only to include some sort of episode number, without relation to season. I think the other tool mentioned is using other metadata (like episode title from EPG) to backreference the season and episode numbers from other sources. It isn’t clear to me how or if these metadata are maintained in order to understand why all sources aren’t referring to episodes in compatible ways.
btaroli

Postby lmolter54 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:55 pm

I just got an answer back from PercData... There are different levels of licensing of Gracenote. Plex is licensed for the S###E### series/episode data; Percdata only gets the episode number in long format.
lmolter54

Postby btaroli » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 pm

Now we know for sure! Thanks! :D Any way we could talk Percdata into sourcing the S##E## data? After all, we do pay for this service. I wonder what the cost difference would be...
btaroli

Postby lmolter54 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:40 pm

I wonder... We would have to pay more, no doubt.
lmolter54

Postby lmolter54 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Rob, from PercData, replied that it is highly unlikely that they will offer S###E### capture because it would involve a code rewrite and the user base isn't large enough to justify the development costs.
lmolter54

Postby rmeden » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:10 am

Just to clarify... the problem isn't that Perc isn't paying for S##E##, it's that S##E## is not available in the "flat file" data feed I'm getting from Nielson. Switching to a to newer JSON or REST feed, would require a complete rewrite of the back-end.
rmeden

Return to DVBLink EPG Loader products