DVB Link server / Dreambox - no picture

DVBLink for Dreambox is discussed here!

DVB Link server / Dreambox - no picture

Postby OB75 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:24 pm

I’m writing because my DreamBox Windows Media Center integration via DVB Link v3.2.1 stopped working about 2 or 3 month ago.

The first thing I did do, was to perform a new channel scan, resulting in that no more any channels where found.

From the Windows desktop I launched the DVB Link server configuration utility, from where I noticed, that the “DVB Link DreamBox state” was red / not running. When I did a test connection to DreamBox, it shortly went “green” and stated connection OK, and then “red” again.

From the “Help” menu, I tried to do a buy / reactivation, but then I get the following message.

Pic1.jpg
Pic1.jpg (70.14 KiB) Viewed 12001 times

I have now and then retried for the last 2 or 3 month, with the absolute same result.

Therefore, even I think it should not be necessary, yesterday evening I decided to purchase an upgrade to version 4,6.

After removal of version 3.2.1, I did the version 4,6 server install. And then from within the new web server configuration tool, I added the DreamBox plugin. All of it seems to go well.

After that, I did a new channel scan in Media Center, and all channels was now found again. But to my big disappointment is still does not work. The error, however, seems to be another. When I chose a channel from the EPG, the screen goes black (which it also did in the past before the live picture shows up) for about 4 – 6 seconds, and then I get the message “Sorry, cannot display this channel either because there is a technical problem or no TV signal”. I have tried 8 – 10 channels, and it’s all the same.

When I connect a monitor directly to the DreamBox, there are no problems.

What can I do to get up running again?

Best regards Ole.
OB75

Re: DVB Link server / Dreambox - no picture

Postby OB75 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:56 pm

I can complement the following.

When I change channel via the Win MCE EPG, the channel actually change, I note this from separate monitor connected to the DreamBox directly.
The earlier mentioned error “Sorry, cannot display this channel either because there is a technical problem or no TV signal” apparently do not show up consistently. I have noticed that, playing around a while trying to do some troubleshooting.

Often the “PlayReady need to be updated” message appear instead of the live stream. It is only possible to accept to do an update, which fails, as the DVBLink wiki somewhere describe it will do, but just should be ignored. Repeating this several times, either to the same channel or various channels, a few times ends up with the live stream showing up. But most often, it ends up with the DVB Link message “Sorry, cannot display this channel either because there is a technical problem or no TV signal” I have noticed that at the same time, the picture freezes on the separate monitor connected to the DreamBox. It seems, that restarting the DVB Link Server service brings back the live picture on the separate monitor connected to the DreamBox.

I have attached the DVB Link Server log file too.

Any ideas?

Best regards Ole
Attachments
dvblink-log-20140225-1837.zip
(23.11 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
OB75

Postby Oberon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:24 pm

If it worked for a long time and then suddenly stopped, then there is something that actually changed. Otherwise it would continue working.
The log file says that channel changes often fail at dreambox itself. Have you updated dreambox firmware? Have you changed router or any other network equipment? Have you rescanned channels at dreambox?
Oberon

Postby OB75 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:32 am

Hi Oberon,

Thank you for your reply.

It worked with DVB Link v3.2.1 version, and I agree that something must have changed, but I can’t figure out what, that’s why I’m asking for help. I regularly install Windows updates, and stuff like that. I didn’t use the DVB Link integration in WMC for a while, since we were renovating outside, and have had the dish dismounted. Therefore it’s hard to tell exactly when it went wrong.

I don’t care what version of DVB Link that can be made to work, as explained in my earlier post, I only updated to version 4,6 in an attempt to get it to work, since I had the idea, that It could be related to some Windows updates

I haven’t got updated the DreamBox FW, and also not done network / router changes. But I have done a channel scan on the DreamBox. I does that from time to time, since my provider often remove or change the channels offering.

How should I deal with the PlayReady continuing to ask for updates? Because it seams that channel change fails when this “trying to update PlayReady” has occurred some times. I admit that I cannot see a completely consistent failure mode.

Any suggestions?
OB75

Postby Oberon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:16 pm

Update playready message means that there is not stream coming in.
It is most probably related to the fact that you have scanned for new channels, but still use the old channel list? Or maybe select the old channels from the dreambox instead of newly scanned ones?
I have seen messages in the log that dreambox cannot change to a given channel that would indicate that you use the outdated channel list.
Oberon

Postby OB75 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:36 am

Hi again,

Since I have updated to version 4.6, I haven’t done any new channel scan on the Dreambox. It means, that the Dreambox source add, and the corresponding channel selection set in the DVBLink configuration panel, should be the most recent.

To be sure, I have deleted the selected cannels, and then added them again from the DVBLink configuration panel.

But my experiences are still the same.

I have to point out, that when I accesses the WMC EPG, and select a specific channel from the guide, the channel shift actually happens for the respective channel on the Dreambox, and with live picture. From my point of view, either the Dreambox do not sending the stream, or DVB Link are not able to process it?

Would it be any help, if I install for an example VLC player, to verify if the stream actually gets to the WMC or not? Or you can determine that from the log file?

Attached there should be a new log file.

Regards Ole
Attachments
dvblink-log-20140307-0925.zip
(30.3 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
OB75

Postby Eson » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:21 pm

If its a single tuner box you should put it in standby to free up the tuner for dvblink.
Eson

Postby OB75 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:21 am

It is a single tuner box, but I do not disturb / operate it with the Dreambox remote control, I have only connected a monitor to the scart output to monitor what is going on, would that be a problem?

If I put the Dreambox into standby, and trying to access a channel from the WMC EPG, it seems that DVB Link aren’t able to turn on the Dreambox. Should it be able to do so?
OB75

Postby Oberon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:49 am

DVBLink does not turn dreambox - it is not needed. What is the firmware/image that you use on your dreambox?
Oberon

Postby OB75 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:18 am

And that solved a similar problem for you, or?

BR O
OB75

Return to DVBLink for Dreambox