Is this Product Still Supported

General discussion about DVBLink products

Re: Is this Product Still Supported

Postby ashley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:43 am

the reason for me why Kodi is important still are;
- the quality, reliability and UI of the native dvblink clients has historically been relatively poor.
- Kodi has universal device support.
- The use of Kodi means dvblink plugin for kodi needs to be kept under active development
- Most of the issues as others have said as not with the dvblink backend, but with the client front end - and issues around server/client timeshift buffers etc. Moving to a single dvblink client means there is no pressure for @Oberon to resolve issues, where as for the dvblink plugin to remain on the kodi list of plugins, @Oberon needs to keep it active and working.
- I only use Kodi for TV - I disable all other options in the UI. I find other tools like Plex are better able to handle media collections. The Plex DVR component is also authored by @Oberon but was missing things like grid EPG last time I looked and has similar quirks to what we currently have as I understand it. More importantly it doesn't seem to have standard BDA tuner support (even under windows so things like TBS tuners will not work with it).

The history of the dvblink product was that it supported a variety of commonly used clients (windows MCE, Kodi, Emby) - to move away from that will potentially alienate the existing user base.

I'd personally prefer @Oberon to work with @Elan from Plex and to fix the PVR shortcomings in that product as that would help to grow the user base of Plex, but as paying users of dvblink we seem to have very little influence on what direction @oberon decides to take the product.
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
DVBlink 6 on Win10 x64 with Nexus 5x/9/SPMC/Kodi clients
Dumped MCE for Nvidia Shield TV running SPMC v17 with dvblink plugin!
Dumped Sky TV for being a waste of money
ashley

Postby pklogic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:31 am

An important feature of Windows Media Center for me is the ability of playing back of TV recordings at higher speeds WITH sound. It allows for more time-efficient viewing of television programs.

Do any of you know if this feature is available in Kodi end/or Plex?
pklogic

Postby TonVH » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:44 am

I use iMac and several video players have no problem in playing back at higher speed with (not always audible) sound. So I presume that similar video players are available in the windows environment. VLC is available on both and does here exactly what you want: any speed with sound.
TonVH

Postby ashley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 am

@oberon hasn't confirmed if any other players apart from the new native dvblink client will be supported in the new version so I wouldn't count on vlc support.
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
ashley

Postby TonVH » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:12 am

I am almost certain that DVBlink will produce some sort of standard videofile and as such can be played back with any video player. I have experience with several similar programs and they all work same and produce either .mkv., .ts, .mpg or similar.

And there is always the option to remain with the present version. Comparable to what people do that are still using Windows MC. They remain with older software. If it works satisfying, what't then the problem?
TonVH

Postby ashley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 am

The problem is that the combination of existing back end and all existing clients are buggy in terms of time shifting and other features expected of a pvr.
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
ashley

Postby Oberon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 am

ashley wrote:@oberon hasn't confirmed if any other players apart from the new native dvblink client will be supported in the new version so I wouldn't count on vlc support.

If you would read my posts below from this topic carefully that would save you (and the others) a lot of time.
Oberon

Postby ashley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:51 am

I have read all the posts. I don't understand why you need to be so defensive. I am a loyal customer of yours.
Some simple clarifications would be more useful rather than to deflect simple questions with riddles.
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
ashley

Postby Oberon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 am

Oberon wrote:Furthermore, new product will be compatible with DVBLink Remote API (in fact built on it and extending it). So, all applications, which use DVBLink API should continue working, including DVBLink Kodi addon
Oberon

Postby ashley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks @oberon, I had missed this very important detail.
Like everyone else on this forum, I look forward to see what you've been cooking up. Any revised ETA yet?
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
ashley

Postby pklogic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 pm

@Oberon: I read a recent comment in the Kodi forum from Kodi developer FernetMenta where he says " I checked the code of dvblink: it is buggy. If timeshift is disabled, it tells video player that the stream is realtime. This feature is obviously disabled for realtime streams."

He explains here that increasing play back speed WITH sound is NOT possible when using DVBLink as the backend because of poor programming in DVBLink backend software.

Is this something that you will improve in your upcoming software and can you confirm that it will then be possible to speed up playback of TV recordings with sound in Kodi (as reportedly is possible in Kodi now, just not with DVBLink backend)?

Source: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=10023&pid=2693052#pid2693052
pklogic

Postby Oberon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:03 pm

To put it politely, Kodi PVR API is unclear and inconsistent and can be interpreted in many different ways. If they call it buggy... That's their opinion.

Increasing playback with sound will be partially implemented for kodi 18 - for recordings only.
Oberon

Postby pklogic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks for clearing that up.

Out of curiosity, is increased speed WITH sound possible in Plex in conjunction with DVBLink backend for recordings (and maybe also timeshifted Live TV)?
pklogic

Postby Oberon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:24 pm

pklogic wrote:Thanks for clearing that up.

Out of curiosity, is increased speed WITH sound possible in Plex in conjunction with DVBLink backend for recordings (and maybe also timeshifted Live TV)?

Sorry, I do not know.
Oberon

Postby Oberon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:26 pm

I am glad to tell all of you that waiting is over :)

Everyone is welcome to our new product forums:
https://forum.tv-mosaic.com/
Oberon

PreviousNext

Return to General