Is this Product Still Supported

General discussion about DVBLink products

Is this Product Still Supported

Postby uthall » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:35 am

Hello,

Great product, been using it for years.....not perfect tho, and has some very frustrating issues such as the IPTV Stream hang.

I haven't seen an update for a long time, and the home page for DVBLink has only very old news and updates.

Is this product still being supported and actively developed?

Thnx
uthall

Re: Is this Product Still Supported

Postby uthall » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Well I guess the deafening silence answers this question!

Use this product expecting it to work "as is" and learn to live with the issues.
uthall

Postby the_man » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Main support on DVBLink was moved to info@dvblogic.com (ticket system)
https://dvblogic.com/en/support/
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby ashley » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 am

if that is the case then why are the forums still open and what purpose do these forums sever?
There has been a distinct lack of input to these forums form @oberon and yourself - which is frustrating for us all.
Are the dvblink products still under active development as the last commit on things like the dvblink repo by dvblogic was mid august. https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.dvblink
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
DVBlink 6 on Win10 x64 with Nexus 5x/9/SPMC/Kodi clients
Dumped MCE for Nvidia Shield TV running SPMC v17 with dvblink plugin!
Dumped Sky TV for being a waste of money
ashley

Postby the_man » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 am

ashley wrote:if that is the case then why are the forums still open and what purpose do these forums sever?
There has been a distinct lack of input to these forums form @oberon and yourself - which is frustrating for us all.
Are the dvblink products still under active development as the last commit on things like the dvblink repo by dvblogic was mid august. https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.dvblink

At the moment the main work is conducted on new server version, or it even may be a new project based on dvblink. The main dvblink server is a quite old and big, there are a lot or old modules which came from 2010-12 years ...
Really, I'm and @Oberon visit this forum a quite rarely, as most my time i'm on support portal.
I have done a request to leave (do not disable server) forum on like that, as there is a quite big knowledge base regarding an old server version (a big part of dvblink community are still on V4.x/5.x even on v2/3 )
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby btaroli » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:01 am

New server version... as in after 6.0? If not this forum for current discussions, where should we be going? Ticketing systems are great, but aren’t especially useful for others to /discover/ topics other users raise. So from that angle I would argue that forums are still quite useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
btaroli

Postby Oberon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 am

As was already mentioned elsewhere, we are actively working on many new things. There will be soon enough to talk about both at forums and at ticketing support system ;)
Oberon

Postby uthall » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Good to know the product isn't dead.

When can we expect the update, and what will it include?
uthall

Postby Oberon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:29 pm

We will update you all when product will be ready for beta - as it is planned now approx. Christmas time
Oberon

Postby debutanker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Very nice to know that you guys are still "on fire"!
debutanker

Postby Traxx » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:50 pm

debutanker wrote:Very nice to know that you guys are still "on fire"!

Indeed, this really reassured me :)
I feared that DVBlink might have gone out of business as the last version is more than a year old now and usually builds came more than once per year.

Really looking forward on the new version, my tiny atom server would appreciate something lighter.
Also, with the stupid new method of windows update, the database really has to be moved away from users/public ;)
Traxx

Postby Oberon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Traxx wrote:Really looking forward on the new version, my tiny atom server would appreciate something lighter.

That's one of the things we have done. The new server will be much lighter than the old one.
Oberon

Postby nexusle » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:52 pm

And a free Sat>IP Server like in DVBViewer or TVH would be great ;-)
nexusle

Postby ashley » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:45 am

great stuff. As a loyal user of the dblogic stuff, I wish the dvblogic team success.
A few things that would probably put the dvblogic team ahead of the rest would be to support some of the latest stuff like;
- HDhomerun Connect Quatro (as DVBT support for UK/AU/NZ (and others) - expected before end of 2017) - I expect this to be trivial for dvblogic if its not already available.
- Support for products like TBS2956.
- Support for hardware encoding to h264 on Nvidia GPUs, and Intel (via quick sync). and AMD (via HMF H264)
- Ability to run up dvblogic inside docker containers - in a similar way to the recent HomeAssiatant hassio project.
- Removal of hardware fingerprints from activation (as changing hardware usually adjusts fingerprint).
- testing of simple use cases, like live tv in one room, then on another device start streaming a different channel and watch both streams "glitch" momentarily.
- support for ram drive livetv buffer (server side) on all clients and fixing of issues with timeshift buffers between different clients (e.g. tv mosaic verses Kodi).
- simplification of IPTV configuration by being able to select region and it automatically configures the FTA streams for that region (but problems of EPG data ownership I guess).
- Consolidation of the forums under forum.dvblogic.com. There are just too many different forums under forum.dvblogic.com so the ability to discuss stuff gets diluted. clicking under board index and under dvblink products means there are just too many placeholders.
- A regular development blog etc to give people a hint of what dvblogic are busy with and a place to discuss future strategy.
- if kodi is a "supported" platform as a client, then for dvblogic to take ownership of some of the issues and work closer with team kodi.
- fixing up long standing product issues - like tuners "dropping out" in the webui config view and service needing to be restarted for them to reappear.
- Making the out the box configuration much easier - as the product is still far too technical for most users - people just want this layer to work as simply as a set top box does in terms of channel scans etc.
- partnering with Plex. I still believe the existing Plex TV model is over simplified - dvblogic could add a lot of value in here.

Keep up the great work guys. I watch this space with interest.
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
DVBlink 6 on Win10 x64 with Nexus 5x/9/SPMC/Kodi clients
Dumped MCE for Nvidia Shield TV running SPMC v17 with dvblink plugin!
Dumped Sky TV for being a waste of money
ashley

Postby Traxx » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:55 pm

ashley wrote:great stuff. As a loyal user of the dblogic stuff, I wish the dvblogic team success.
A few things that would probably put the dvblogic team ahead of the rest would be to support some of the latest stuff like;

Allthough I think that some of your proposals are a little bit too much, I go along with some of them (above) and strongly disagree with one...

ashley wrote:- Removal of hardware fingerprints from activation (as changing hardware usually adjusts fingerprint).

The hardware fingerprint is clearly outdated, at least if I can't be resetted in the license portal. I don't know how often I contacted support because of this... My HTPC is a constantly evolving system ;)
As the license is checked only anyway, the endusers ability to reset the fingerprint shouldn't do any harm.

ashley wrote:- A regular development blog etc to give people a hint of what dvblogic are busy with and a place to discuss future strategy.

Constant updates would be really great, as said before, I thought dvblogic might have gone out of business. They don't need to be long and should also be place in the forum for the end users to give feedback or ideas for further improvement.
I work in a IT company myself and I know that programmers and technicians often work on a different track and the end product is quite far from what the customer really wants.

ashley wrote:- if kodi is a "supported" platform as a client, then for dvblogic to take ownership of some of the issues and work closer with team kodi.

Kodi should definately be more supported, its the nicest client available, not only because its skinnable but it plays a lot of other stuff too. End users struggle with 2,3 or even more VoD apps anyway, so consolidating a least the local media, TV and certain VoD services is something many aim for.

ashley wrote:- fixing up long standing product issues - like tuners "dropping out" in the webui config view and service needing to be restarted for them to reappear.

The service should have some sort of monitoring-possibility. I had it often, that it was stopped because of -whatever- and I missed some important recordings... A simple restart fixed it, but the recordings were never done.

ashley wrote:- Making the out the box configuration much easier - as the product is still far too technical for most users - people just want this layer to work as simply as a set top box does in terms of channel scans etc.

No No, please only do this really carefully...
A "simple mode" (which should be default) is appreciated, but don't cut too many features from the advanced mode.
I'm running dvblink quite successful with 4 DVB-C tuners and one DVB-T tuner, dozzens of recording shedules and two clients (windows-PC in the bedroom, acting as workstation and backup tv, running kodi and Nvidia Shield also running Kodi in the living room on the big screen)
I also used the web-interface on my tablet on the roof of our 40 appartments building to fix the sat-dish temporarily over the holidays. (DVB-S to DVB-C system - custom channels, therefor essencial to edit transponder-files)

ashley wrote:Keep up the great work guys. I watch this space with interest.

Me too :)

I have one other really important issue that needs fixing:
Recording conflicts.....!
I don't know if this is limited to german free-tv but they tend to send a lot of crap the whole week and then on single days all the good stuff (monday evening, sunday...).
Now I have those good series scheduled and also some stuff that runns daily but i only watch it occasionally.
As there is no ability to prioritise I can't say: Skip the daily stuff, but record series XY by all means.
Now, dvblink skips what ever was scheduled last (or first - I still don't know)
Easiest method would be a recording priority:
Low (for stuff that is skipped if all tuners are blocked by "normal" and "high")
Normal (default)
High (disables a "Low" recording if it needs a tuner. If there is no low recording it should skip the newest "normal" recording)

Would that be possible or is even planned?
Traxx

Next

Return to General