when are we going to see a bug free way of watching TV?

General discussion about DVBLink products

when are we going to see a bug free way of watching TV?

Postby ashley » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:10 am

Hi,
Currently I'm running Nvidia shield TV's around the house

Using SPMc/Kodi 18/Kodi 17 all have their problems with certain dvbt broadcasts, in NZ it's mostly the 576i channels on dvbt that I notice the issue with. I think the issue is around auto detection of the audio/frame rates etc but regardless, the problem persists. The symptoms are repeated attempts to start the channel (some times up to about 25 seconds).

I thought tvmosaic might be the answer but tvmosaic (as a client to a stand dard dvblink backend) has issues with the ring buffer that only @oberon is able to address.

I understand many of these issues may not directly be with the dvblink software, but the only people able to fix it are @oberon and team or for @oberon to find a way of working closer with team Kodi.

On reflection, no solution comes close to reliability as an old school windows 7 media centre PC even after all these years.

As dvblink users what can we do to help to get to the bottom of all of these issues as the current issues are widely known?

Cheers
Ashley
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
DVBlink 6 on Win10 x64 with Nexus 5x/9/SPMC/Kodi clients
Dumped MCE for Nvidia Shield TV running SPMC v17 with dvblink plugin!
Dumped Sky TV for being a waste of money
ashley

Re: when are we going to see a bug free way of watching TV?

Postby ashley » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 am

Hi, Just to help others. I did some further testing.
All channels that are broadcast in 1920x1080 50hz format did not stutter on the shield TV. (press o on a bluetooth keyboard while TV picture streaming within Kodi)
All other channels are broadcast in 720x576 50hz and these stutter at the start for up to 20 seconds after changing channel using Kodi 17 and Kodi 18 nightly.

I went back to SPMC and tried the latest test branch 17.4 alpha 11;
https://github.com/koying/SPMC/issues/936
and this worked fine on both 1920x1080 50hz and 720x576 50hz.
The standard SPMC v16 didn't give me the skin that the family have become used to on Kodi 18.

So the issue seems to be caused specifically by de-interlacing bugs in Kodi and this appears to be well known
So I'll be sticking with SPMC 17.x releases until the issues around de-interlacing are finally fixed in the nightly builds of Kodi 18.

I do wish @Oberon would just fix the remaining issues around timeshift with the tv mosaic app though (or at-least give us a glimpse of what they are busy with) - it would make things a lot easier.

cheers
Ashley
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
ashley

Postby bulldognz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi Ashley, I'm in Auckland also. Running the following setup

Win 10
Intel i5, 16gb, onboard graphics
Omnikey 3021
TBS 6904 DVBS/ S2 Quad Tuner

DVBLink TVSource latest version 6.0.0 14499
OSCam r11279 for Windows
ACAMD V 0.6.2.0
Kodi latest version for Windows

I find Kodi crashed fairly regularly not even changing channels almost looks like a hardware thing but the kit was really reliable as my gaming machine before it was repurposed as my sat box.
I too have experienced the slowness of Kodi changing channels. I recently bought a VU+ Zero for another location and that changes channels like lightning compared to Kodi on the same box.
bulldognz

Postby ashley » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:09 am

the issues I have with Kodi are I believe to be Kodi related as @Oberon has confirmed that dvblink is passing the stream through as is. However, there doesn't seem to be too much momentum on the forums specifically when it comes to dvblink integration...
The Kodi ticket I raised was;
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=32708
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=328817

The latest nightly 18 builds for example on Kodi on Android phone and android TV have no audio apart form TV1,2 and 3, and that appears to be related to the audio detection of the stream by Kodi.
There are also issues with the time-shifting and other issues related to Kodi 18 API changes.

So this weekend I'll be testing with TVMozaic and Kodi to see if anything has changed (I doubt it though).
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
ashley

Return to General