Variable bitrate from server

DVBLink for IPTV is discussed here!

Variable bitrate from server

Postby Mentopolis » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:15 am

Hello,

my internet connection is not fast enough all the time to stream down IPTV. Basically it works fine but the best would be a dynamic rate so that the server/client check if the rate is possible and if not reduce the bitrate, e.g. Amazon Fire TV is doing this very well. I like to buy IP TV for DVBLink and this topic would be very important for me .. so is this possible, is there an option for this and will this run on all IP Server or only on some

regards
Markus
Mentopolis

Re: Variable bitrate from server

Postby the_man » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:28 am

The only way to manipulate with bitrate is If your server (machine where dvblink server is running) is powerful enought to be able transcode the stream, you can enable this option in IPTV configuration page and set needed bitrate or, depends on what clients do you use, you can enable transcoding directly in client settings ( it's possible for Kodi with dvblink PVR addon, dvblink mobile apps )
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby Mentopolis » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:51 am

Hello

The server here is a public IP TV server .. Not at my home. This server should provide different streams and depending on the speed of my internet connection DVBLink Server should switch between them dynamically.
My local clients are connected to this local DVBLink server.

Regards
Markus
Mentopolis

Postby Mentopolis » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:49 am

Hi

Some update .. The answer to this question seems to be MPEG DASH which allows variable bit rates.
The question is, does DVBLink supports this format ?

Regards
Markus
Mentopolis

Postby Oberon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:51 am

No, MPEG Dash streaming is not supported by DVBLink.
Currently there is no possibility to produce several streams with a different bitrate.
Client (mobile app, web browser, kodi) specifies a bitrate (user-set) when asking for a live tv. So you can change the required bitrate manually depending on your circumstances.
Oberon

Postby Mentopolis » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:15 am

Hello

The question is if your IPTV Source support this feature when the stream comes from an external source which provides such streams. So depending on the current bandwidth your IPTV source client must change the bitrate to the external source, the stream inside to all clients could be the same as before

Regards
Markus
Mentopolis

Postby Oberon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:20 am

Understood. No, this is also not supported.
Oberon

Postby Mentopolis » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:40 am

Ok most important question 8)

Do you plan this feature? At least with 4K streams it will not work without due lack of constant massive bandwidth

Markus
Mentopolis

Return to DVBLink for IPTV