very strange issue with TV source

DVBLink TVSource is discussed here!

very strange issue with TV source

Postby marcelveldt » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi all,

First of all; I'm a big fan of DVBlink and I'm using DVBlink since the early days.
Never failed me ever in all this years.

Untill now I'm afraid :-)

I live in The Netherlands where the large cable provider is Ziggo.
Because of a merge with other cable company UPC they've switched their programming/channels a few weeks ago.
In short: they're now using QAM256 modulation for pretty much all transponders.

Well, since my cable company switched I'm experiencing a very annoying problem which has rendered my DVBlink installation unusable:

Almost every HD channel has very distorted playback. Sometimes it's fine for a couple of minutes but most of the times it's totally unusable.
Almost as if my signal is very very poor. Artifacts all over or just totally freaked out picture.
The RTL channels have this problem very often, like every few minutes and for example NET5 is just totally unwatchable.

I can give you a very long story about what I did to figure out that DVBlink is the issue but here in short:

- Signal strength/quality is 100% , the main-switch (for the entire street) is in my front yard.
- Replaced all cabling and stuff (all for nothing because signal is 100%)
- Ziggo engineer visited my place and confirmed that the signal is 100% OK
- I do not have the problem with a standalone settop box on the exact same cabling.
- replaced server computer
- I even replaced my tuner: was using Digital Devices Cine tuners, now using HD Homerun.

I have tried everything to get to the bottom of this. I almost gave up and wanted to buy a official Ziggo settop box (giving up on tv through dvblink everywhere in my house) untill I accidentally discovered something:
While watching TV on my HTTPC with the distorted picture, I opened up VLC player on my TV server at the same channel. Basically I wanted to look if opening VLC on my TV server itself had the same issue so maybe it was network related.
Well, Once I opened up VLC on the stream: all distortions gone on the HTTPC !

Now that is a strange issue isn't it ?

So, if I open up the stream on the DVBlink server itself and then watch a channel on one of my clients I have a perfect image!
Also opening up VLC on a different client doesn't solve it, it must be on DVBlink host.

I tried playing with DVBlink settings but couldn't solve it.

I'm using Kodi as my dvblink clients but I can confirm that the issue also exists on VLC.

Now that I've narrowed doen the problem to DVBlink itself I've installed Mediaportal TV server on my server PC.
That is working great. No distorted image or whatsoever.
So for now I have a solution with using MediaPortal but I don't want to give up on DVBLink, I just disabled the service on my server pc and now I'm writing you this message here.

Any ideas what could be the cause of this issue ? If so, how can I solve it and switch back to DVBlink again ?
marcelveldt

Re: very strange issue with TV source

Postby finnvid » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Hello,

It could be the same problem that I have...If so, let's try to find similarities in the installatons/configuratin

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28960

/tobbe
finnvid

Postby Oberon » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:28 am

What is the spec. of your server machine? I remember from the earlier days that users had issues with speedstep Intel technology and the Cool&Quite technology from AMD. The problem description was very comparable. This technology had to be switched off in BIOS and then errors/discontinuities have disappeared. It may be that VLC either loads the machine so that it gets disabled or disables it somehow.
Oberon

Postby marcelveldt » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Oberon wrote:What is the spec. of your server machine? I remember from the earlier days that users had issues with speedstep Intel technology and the Cool&Quite technology from AMD. The problem description was very comparable. This technology had to be switched off in BIOS and then errors/discontinuities have disappeared. It may be that VLC either loads the machine so that it gets disabled or disables it somehow.

Hi Oberon, thanks for your reply.

My server machine has a Gigabyte GA-H81N mainboard with Intel Core i3 4330 (haswell) CPU.
My "old" server was a HP MicroServer N40L. I swapped the server around the time of the change by my cable provider.

According to my wife the problems were there before I swapped the server but I as I still have the old server at hand I will give that one a try tonight just to be sure.
Just some extra info: On this very same new server both MediaPortal and Next PVR are working fine, it's just DVBLink that fails.
Also tried with both the Digital Devices and the HD Homerun tuner
marcelveldt

Postby razzandy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi Marcelveldt

I have exactly same issue as you. Please see my posts. I also have links to video of the actual problem as it happens. Don't bother changing PC's about, I have tried it on several operating systems and Rigs. You need to run VLC as a service in the background as a temporary fix.

http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=29369

I am going to look into the Speedstep Intel Technology to see if it makes any difference. Should we really have to be doing this when I have proved the problem exists on so many Rigs, Intel & AMD? In addition to this if VLC (A 'FREE' App) can utilise the technology correctly why can't DVBLogic?

Lets hope they create a fix in the near future :shock:

:mrgreen:
razzandy

Re: very strange issue with TV source (Disconnects/Pixelatio

Postby razzandy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:14 pm

razzandy wrote:
I am going to look into the Speedstep Intel Technology to see if it makes any difference.

SpeedStep Enabled or Disabled has no affect. Pixelation still exists either way so I will be leaving VLC running as a service for now.
razzandy

Postby finnvid » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:40 pm

At least we are now three installations with the same problem, feels good not to be alone ;-)

/tobbe
finnvid

Postby Oberon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:19 am

finnvid wrote:At least we are now three installations with the same problem, feels good not to be alone ;-)

/tobbe

Does running VLC solve the issue for you as well?
Oberon

Re: very strange issue with TV source (Disconnects/Pixelatio

Postby razzandy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:37 am

finnvid wrote:At least we are now three installations with the same problem, feels good not to be alone ;-)

/tobbe

The problem is permanently there but most people don't come across it if they only use one TV Tuner. It became apparent with me due to recordings Pixelating but on Ver 4 I was still able to convert MOST of the recoded content. Now with Ver 5 Almost every recording was Pixelating and it was impossibly to convert. At this time I was 'Again' having issues with my TV Service Provider TalkTalk YouView Box so I thought I would Try an OpenElec RPI-2 with DVBLogic. Obviously going down this route meant I needed an additional TV Tuner. It was when I started testing it with 2 Tuners that the problem became far more noticeable.

DVBLogic really is a great product when its operating correctly.

Just to add: Last week my recordings started to fail again and the Picture became unwatchable. After several tests I found my Older PCTV 290e had become faulty so now I have 2 PCTV 292e Sticks and its back to working GR8 again........ With VLC Running in the background :roll:

P.S. Just to let you know I have even posted on the VLC forum to ask for help but nobody will reply :cry:

See Below:

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=125233

If marcelveldt and finnvid replies to this topic maybe VLC may reply?

If you delay your posts a day or so between each of your posts it will keep it more visible for longer and may get noticed!
razzandy

Postby finnvid » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Oberon wrote:

/tobbe

Does running VLC solve the issue for you as well?

I have not had the time to test, my server is not in the same physical location as I am and my VNC stopped to work but I will try within a week or so.

Earlier I have tested that the same channel that gets corrupted in the recording actually works fine in VLC and also in the Dvb-app

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28960

/tobbe
finnvid

Re: very strange issue with TV source (Pixelation)

Postby razzandy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Don't forget VLC has to be open on the DVBLink Server PC. Then you can test any type of client while watching the monitoring page for disconnects. I find the best method is to open at least 2 streams by utilising two tuners. Then, while monitoring the disconnects, open VLC on the server PC and watch the disconnects disappear. For you though you may need to try recording 2 Channels from two tuners while monitoring the disconnects page and or check the recordings for Pixelation.

I use DVB-T2 Tuners (HD TV)

Hope this helps you

razzandy

Postby marcelveldt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:30 pm

For me running VLC in the background or disabling Speedstep is unacceptable. It will just keep my CPU awake and so my server will increase the power consumption. That's not the idea of a home server which should only deliver some power when it's needed (watching tv, record etc).

Like I said in my initial post, the problem is solved if you watch the same channel with VLC from the server itself.
Without it the picture is totally unwatchable.

As my family wants the TV just to be available I've installed Tvheadend in the meanwhile which is working great.
Once this problem is resolved I will switch back to DVBlink because I like the webinterface, remote scheduling stuff from my Phone etc.

BTW: The Kodi PVR for TvHeadend is so much more powerfull then the DVBLink addon, even while it's missing the (so needed) series recordings it has really great channel switch times. Just something I noticed from running it for about a week now.

So tip for the DVBlink devs: whenever you're going to improve the DVBlink addon, take a look at TVheadend's implementation.
The channel-change speed is about 1 till 2 seconds... With DVBlink addon I had about 5 till 8 seconds!
Also, importing the EPG is done in about 1 till 2 seconds. DVBlink takes 30 till over 90 seconds to import the same EPG content
marcelveldt

Postby razzandy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:49 am

marcelveldt wrote:Like I said in my initial post, the problem is solved if you watch the same channel with VLC from the server itself.
Without it the picture is totally unwatchable.

So Oberon/the_man

In addition to marcelveldt last post he has also made it know to me that he's purchased about 15 copies of your software and because of the issue of Disconnect he's decided to use alternative software (15 Copies!!!!!). Are you bothered about loosing custom?

The VLC fix is obviously confirmed to fix marcelveldt's issue here so you really need to change your priorities and find out what every piece of TV software on the planet is tapping into to make their App operate correctly. How can VLC, WMC, WMP, DistanTV to mention a few use something that DVBLogic does not? Its obviously a necessary part of the operating system which needs activating, why else would all the other Apps deem it necessary to use it???
razzandy

Postby Oberon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:01 am

To add to your collection - UltraVNC:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=21247&p=66024
Oberon

Postby marcelveldt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:34 pm

razzandy wrote:
marcelveldt wrote:In addition to marcelveldt last post he has also made it know to me that he's purchased about 15 copies of your software and because of the issue of Disconnect he's decided to use alternative software (15 Copies!!!!!). Are you bothered about loosing custom?

Just a little rectification that I have switched my own installation to Tv Headend for now untill this issue in DVBlink is solved as my wife lost patience with trying out stuff untill it was fixed. Now she can just watch TV as it should.

I have DVBlink installed at many friends and family members because I've always recommended it so far. Some of you might know that I'm actively participating in opensource projects like Kodi and Emby (mediabrowser) and I understand very well how hard it is in the software development with all kinds of different hardware, software, user expections etc. That said, DVBlink is not opensource but paid software. I find it a bit strange that an opensource product works better than paid software in this case.

I'm sure the guys at DVBLogic will solve this matter. I just want to make clear that I'm not going to do any strange workarounds on my system (like installing vlc or vnc in the background) to have the product working. It should just work as it is intended. Workarounds and custom stuff are for opensource projects. That is what my expection is.
marcelveldt

Next

Return to DVBLink TVSource