How to calculate Diseqc codes for motorised dish

DVBLink TVSource is discussed here!

Re: How to calculate Diseqc codes for motorised dish

Postby billybob69 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:11 pm

billybob69 wrote:
Homer wrote:billybob69 - Don't panic !

1. Yes, all of my diseqc commands start with E0 31 6E.
2. Yes, the final 4 entries are to set the angle you want the dish to go to.
3. Yes, row 15 is the angle bytes.
4. Yes, 28.2E is E2 02 (From my lat & long).
5. Row 13 should have been green, as you have to manually calculate the hex value.
7. Converting dec to hex is easy with the windows calculator. Put it in "Programmer" mode and you can change between the dec and hex settings.

I've downloaded the updated spreadsheet. Thanks.
1. Your diseqc commands start with E0 31 E6, can I double-check that mine will as well?
5. Row 13 was green, but I didn't manually calculate anything. Should have done?
7. Is there something that I need to calculate? I thought that the spreadsheet did it for me?

Many thanks,
bb69
billybob69

Postby Homer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi,

1. Yes. See my first post. These are to move a diseqc motorised dish to a specific angle. All codes will start with E0 31 6E, and be followed by East = E, West = 0, and the last three digits are the required angle.
5. You have to take the integer part of the "Corrected USALS angle" (Row 12), which is decimal, and convert it to hex using (For example) Windows calculator. Put the answer underneath it in Row 13. So, in the downloaded file, I have 39E, for which the corrected angle is 43.78 (For my lat & long). I now convert the integer value (=43) to hex with the Windows calculator (=2B). This value goes underneath it in Row 13. You will be able to see these exact numbers in the file when you download it, but the corrected angle will change when you put your lat & long in. You then have to update all of the hex values in row 13, and the yellow row (Row 18) will show the full diseqc code for each satellite.
7. Just the decimal to hex above.

Good luck !

Tim
DVBlink V6 | Emby 3.3 | TBS 6280 Dual T/T2 | TBS 5990 Dual S/S2 | HomeSeer HS3 Pro | Blue Iris CCTV |
Homer

Postby Homer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:12 pm

I have now modified the Excel file in Dropbox to round down the fraction. That will prevent it choking on 0.99 degrees !

Please let me know if you now have working diseqc codes 8)
DVBlink V6 | Emby 3.3 | TBS 6280 Dual T/T2 | TBS 5990 Dual S/S2 | HomeSeer HS3 Pro | Blue Iris CCTV |
Homer

Postby Homer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:28 pm

And now I have modified the Dropbox Excel file to put the gaps in the right places. It doesn't seem to affect operation, but they are a lot easier to read !

E0 31 6E 01 F8 instead of E0316E01F8 !

Any luck bb69 ? Send me a PM if you need help :D
Homer

Postby Homer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:02 pm

I have now managed to find a copy of Excel with the Dec2Hex function working properly, and have added it to the previous file, so this version is even simpler to use than the previous ones:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19307543/DVBLink%20Disecq%20codes%20Auto.xls

Let me know if it works for you :D
Homer

Postby lemotor » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:51 am

basically I can say it works for my motorized system as well, only when starting DVBLink/TVSource to watch TV and the Dish is parked at a different Sat-Position from the Sat-Position I want to watch, I takes me many clicks to change channels before finally the dish moves. Do you get the dish moving at the first click, when it is parked at a different position, and if yes, what is your settings in TVSource?
lemotor

Postby Homer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:43 am

Hi lemotor,

Nice to hear it works for you too :D

Historically my dish did usually move with the first click, but occasionally it seemed to miss the diseqc command - but not often enough for me to check the logs ! I recently rebuilt my DVBLink pc, and found that the existing TBS6921 didn't like the new motherboard as regards diseqc transmission, although it was OK with any transponder on the satellite it was pointing at. I noted that some S2 cards have an extra power connector to enable them to power the dish motor without damaging the motherboard - due to that I have swapped out my PCI-e TBS6921 for an external USB TBS5990, and it is working very well.

My specific TVSource settings in "Edit Advanced Settings/Settings" are:

Retry tuning on no signal lock: Ticked
Stop stream when idle: Ticked
Repeat diseqc command: Ticked
Wait for stream on tune: Ticked

Did yours work every time when you were sending the preset position diseqc commands ?

Cheers,

Tim
Homer

Postby lemotor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi Tim,

as I wrote, basically it works. But from cold start or sleep mode, when the dish is parked at a different Sat-Position, it takes a lot of different channel clicks, before the dish moves. I had a TBS 8920 before and now a Tevii S660 and also I used DVBLink 4.6.0 with MCE and Win7 before and now 5.5.0 with Kodi and Win10, but this behavior was always the same. Only I remember when I used the old DVBLink 3.2.0 it worked with the first click. As I said, it's not a major problem for me personally, only when I have guests and leave home, they struggle if they want to watch Telly and are not very technical to understand it how to use my HTPC to tune in to the channel they want to watch. It's just not idiot proof.
I think, this DiseqC business is not a real industry standard and therefore each Sat-Card manufacturer and software developer do it how they think it should work and when you mix hardware and software which hasn't been tested together, you run into problems, even in theory you think it should work.
My other experience is throughout the years I use a HTPC is, that every software upgrade wether from DVBLink or Microsoft or Sat-Card Driver causes me some
problems I have to fiddle with before I get my system back as I want it to work.
lemotor

Postby Homer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi lemotor,

It is clear from other threads (and the help files) that diseqc is not a high priority for DVBLogic other than for fixed dish installations with diseqc switches and multiple lnb's. It would be so much better if all of the work done by my Excel file was done by DVBLink itself, but hey, my dish points where I want it to, and I spent a few days trying to figure it out which is good for the old grey cells :D

Do you have access to an oscilloscope ? It would be interesting to find out if the diseqc command is actually being sent to the dish motor at the time you have your cold start issues. I don't know if there is anything else we can look at - does it show anything in the logs ?

Cheers,

Tim
Homer

Postby lemotor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:15 pm

I don't have an oscilloscope! What I can say is, from cold start before I have to go outside to look at the parking position of the dish to decide which channel to tune in from that Sat position or it's just trial and error. Once a channel is tuned in I can move the dish from there. Before going into much details, the log files show it sends the Diseqc command, waits for tuning and then tuning fails finally. But what I can see, it's only milliseconds between sending the commands and waiting for the tune. It may work for Diseqc switches, but not for slow moving motors, I think. Although repeat Diseqc commands means, it repeats after tuning failed, but not sending it twice, according the log file. The other thing is, the motor moves only with 19V when tuning in horizontal transponders, but not with the 13V vertical once. But as mentioned, for DVBLogic it's with low priority. Also I tested it with DVBViewer and must say the dish moves with the first click. Though there must be a difference. But because of other reasons to have my HTPC as I like and want it, I have to stick with DVBLogic, e.g. the combination of EPGCollector and TVSource is among all other TV Backends for Kodi the best.
lemotor

Postby Homer » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:28 pm

Diseqc codes for motorised dishes seem to work better with DVBLink V6. It hasn't missed a satellite change all day, and I've done a lot of satellite change testing. 8)
Homer

Postby networkmike » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:18 am

Yeah noticed it was better, you beat me me to it Homer!!! :D
MCE: i3 min itx 4GB Ram 250GB SSD blu ray | Server: Synology DS815+ 16gb Ram. | Tuners: Inverto IDL 400s Sat>ip 4 x DVB-S/S25, PCTC 292e DVB-t/T2
Other clients : 3 Xbox 360, WDTV Live, 3 x Kodi box & A partridge in a peartree!!
networkmike

Postby Oberon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:27 am

Hm, we have not done anything specifically for it, but it is good to hear ;)
Oberon

Postby networkmike » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:09 pm

maybe the placebo effect in full swing!! :D
MCE: i3 min itx 4GB Ram 250GB SSD blu ray | Server: Synology DS815+ 16gb Ram. | Tuners: Inverto IDL 400s Sat>ip 4 x DVB-S/S25, PCTC 292e DVB-t/T2
Other clients : 3 Xbox 360, WDTV Live, 3 x Kodi box & A partridge in a peartree!!
networkmike

Previous

Return to DVBLink TVSource