How to calculate Diseqc codes for motorised dish

DVBLink TVSource is discussed here!

How to calculate Diseqc codes for motorised dish

Postby Homer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi all,

I mentioned I did this in a different thread, and Oberon agreed that I should post it for other forum members.

If your question is "How do I get the Diseqc code to put into TVSource to send my motorised dish to a specific satellite angle ?" then read on.

Basics: Unless you live on the Greenwich 0 degree longitude line, a satellite like Hotbird 13E will not actually be 13E of south from you. To make this clearer, if your home longitude is 13 degrees east, then Hotbird will appear to be due south of you. Unless you live at 0 degrees longitude, you cannot simply send a command to the dish to go 13E of south !

There are a few steps to get the right angle to send to the motor :
1. Calculate the corrected satellite angle from your longitude and latitude.
2. Convert it to hex.
3. Write the full diseqc code to put into TVSource.

Full explanation:

With reference to the official Diseqc guide at Eutelsat.com "positioner.appli_notice.pdf":

1. Angular position codes are in this format E0 31 6E 00 00 {Zeroes, not letter O}
2. E0 is the framing byte. E2 is used if a response is required - I only use E0.
3. 31 is for polar drives, 32 is for elevation. 30 will send to both - I only use 31.
4. 6E is to drive the motor to an angular position - I only use 6E.
5. So all of my commands start with E0 31 6E.
6. The final four bits "00 00" are for the angle to drive the dish to:

7. The first bit is "0" for WEST, or "E" for EAST.
8. The second and third bit are the hex value of the corrected integer value of the angle. Go to the GAAPS calculator (link below) and enter your lat/long and the required satellite and press "Calculate" http://www.moteck.com/GAAPS.aspx
9. Convert the new GAAPS angle to hex. I use the windows calculator (View - programmer calc/ click DEC on Left/ put in decimal value from GAAPS calculator/ Click on HEX on left/ Number is now shown in HEX).

Using this, you would now have (from my lat/long) the following for Astra 28.2E:

Sat is EAST, so first byte is "E".
Original decimal uncorrected sat angle = 28.2E
Decimal Sat angle from GAAPS calculator (corrected for my lat/long) = 31.9E
Convert integer part to HEX. 31 (dec) becomes "1F" (hex) for the second and third byte.
Convert last fractional part of angle for the fourth byte. We have 0.9 to convert (31.9-31). This table again came from the Diseqc documentation:

User angle/ Hex value
0.0 0
0.1 2
0.2 3
0.3 5
0.4 6
0.5 8
0.6 A
0.7 B
0.8 D
0.9 E

So we have an "E" hex value for the 0.9 decimal degrees.

The full corrected command for Astra 28.2E from my lat/long is now E0 31 6E E1 FE - This is the code that you put into TVSource.

Please note that your southern most satellite may change from E/W or W/E ! I live at longitude 1.178W, and the corrected decimal angle for satellite 0.8W Thor is 0.4E ! This is very important, as you may be using your southern most satellite to align your dish !
Last edited by Homer on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVBlink V6 | Emby 3.3 | TBS 6280 Dual T/T2 | TBS 5990 Dual S/S2 | HomeSeer HS3 Pro | Blue Iris CCTV |
Homer

Re: How to calculate Diseqc codes for motorised dish

Postby networkmike » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:06 pm

As a lot have people have viewed this post with no comment. I figured someone had to add a thank you for the detailed info :D
MCE: i3 min itx 4GB Ram 250GB SSD blu ray | Server: Synology DS815+ 16gb Ram. | Tuners: Inverto IDL 400s Sat>ip 4 x DVB-S/S25, PCTC 292e DVB-t/T2
Other clients : 3 Xbox 360, WDTV Live, 3 x Kodi box & A partridge in a peartree!!
networkmike

Postby PRKid » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks for the information very useful. By the way, is there a way to use the Dish Tailgator and program such?
PRKid

Postby Homer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi,

I had to Google that one ! The "Dish Tailgator" appears to be a portable Cassegrain motorised dish, with the sole purpose of automatically searching for, and locking on to one specific satellite to watch the DISH network in the USA.

The Diseqc codes, and the information above, are to allow a fixed installation motorised dish to be sent to any available satellite along the Clarke belt (I say fixed installation, as you are correcting satellite positions for a fixed lat-long position).

So, since DVBLink sends out standard Diseqc commands, the "Dish Tailgator" would have to understand Diseqc codes to be used as a motorised dish with DVBLink.
DVBlink V6 | Emby 3.3 | TBS 6280 Dual T/T2 | TBS 5990 Dual S/S2 | HomeSeer HS3 Pro | Blue Iris CCTV |
Homer

Postby PRKid » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:41 am

Homer wrote:Hi,

I had to Google that one ! The "Dish Tailgator" appears to be a portable Cassegrain motorised dish, with the sole purpose of automatically searching for, and locking on to one specific satellite to watch the DISH network in the USA.

The Diseqc codes, and the information above, are to allow a fixed installation motorised dish to be sent to any available satellite along the Clarke belt (I say fixed installation, as you are correcting satellite positions for a fixed lat-long position).

So, since DVBLink sends out standard Diseqc commands, the "Dish Tailgator" would have to understand Diseqc codes to be used as a motorised dish with DVBLink.

Thanks Homer! I'll keep studying about it. The Tailgator apparently can get commands from 2 different Dish receivers, thus, must accept commands, yet, not sure how.
PRKid

Postby abaratian » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:23 am

Hi homer

my location is: 36.32E, 59.47N. i want to start by hotbird 13e:

so for me and hotbird:
the calculator says: +25.0 so hex: 19
E0 31 6E 01 90
is that right?

and another example 42E would be:
calculator: -6.1
Hex: 6
E0 31 6E E0 62
ok?

another question:
for the installation i am thinking of attaching the dish to the receiver and then executing the command for hotbird. and then installing the dish focusing on hotbird. will that work?
abaratian

Postby Homer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi abaration,

Yes, they look good.

E0 31 6E 01 90 Looks good for Hotbird as it is West from your position.

E0 31 6E E0 62 Looks good too, as 42E is slightly East from your position.

For motorised dish installation, it is normal to set the dish to a strong satellite due south from your position, so maybe 42E would be a good one ? I have set up dishes by sending the motor to 13E though, so that will work too.

Please note that your satellite PC card must be able to pass through the diseqc codes from DVBLink for this to work ! I have a TBS6921, and it does work.

Good luck,

Homer
Homer

Postby networkmike » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:16 pm

I would just like to post a big thank you to homer for all his help and if you follow the instructions it works great!!
MCE: i3 min itx 4GB Ram 250GB SSD blu ray | Server: Synology DS815+ 16gb Ram. | Tuners: Inverto IDL 400s Sat>ip 4 x DVB-S/S25, PCTC 292e DVB-t/T2
Other clients : 3 Xbox 360, WDTV Live, 3 x Kodi box & A partridge in a peartree!!
networkmike

Postby Homer » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:41 am

I have just edited the first post, as the GAAPS calculator had changed address.
Homer

Postby billybob69 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Homer wrote:8. The second and third bit are the hex value of the corrected integer value of the angle. Go to the GAAPS calculator (link below) and enter your lat/long and the required satellite and press "Calculate" http://www.moteck.com/GAAPS.aspx
9. Convert the new GAAPS angle to hex. I use the windows calculator (View - programmer calc/ click DEC on Left/ put in decimal value from GAAPS calculator/ Click on HEX on left/ Number is now shown in HEX).

That website is now down. I don't suppose that you know of a similar website that does these calculations?

bb69
billybob69

Postby Homer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:24 pm

Oh oh :shock:

I have found an Excel calculator in this forum thread. I'll have a go with it to see if it matches my original calculations:

http://rickcaylor.websitetoolbox.com/po ... 2?trail=30
Homer

Postby Homer » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:39 pm

Well the results were close, so I have altered the Excel file to output our codes. Please note that it isn't entirely automatic, as I couldn't add the analysis pack into my Excel installation, so I couldn't use the decimal to hex converter. That means you still need to do the decimal to hex conversion in row 13 :mrgreen:

If you do have a better installation of Excel, you can add that function yourself.

Now I'm no coder, so it may well be that this works for me, and doesn't for you, but give it a try and let me know. I checked a few satellites, and the codes generated by this file gave me a stronger signal than before - it was small fractions of a degree different to the original calaculation for the corrected angle:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19307543/DVBLink%20Disecq%20codes.xls

And please let me know if that "Public" Dropbox link works !
Homer

Postby billybob69 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Thanks for sourcing and updating the spreadsheet. I've managed to download it no problem.
Although this type of thing is my worse nightmare!

So am I thinking that I input E0 31 6E regardless of the satellite and my location and that the final four entries are taken from the 'angle bytes' (row 15) from the spreadsheet? In your example, the angle bytes for 28.2e would be E2 02?

Looking at this wiki, it seems that there is more than five sets of double digits?
http://dvblogic.com/wiki/index.php/TVSo ... figuration

One last thing, is it possible that you can update the spreadsheet with the 'hex of integer of angle' calculation of 39e and 42e satellites?

Many thanks,
bb69
billybob69

Postby Homer » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:03 pm

billybob69 - Don't panic !

1. Yes, all of my diseqc commands start with E0 31 6E.
2. Yes, the final 4 entries are to set the angle you want the dish to go to.
3. Yes, row 15 is the angle bytes.
4. Yes, 28.2E is E2 02 (From my lat & long).
5. Row 13 should have been green, as you have to manually calculate the hex value.
5. The wiki example appears to be sending diseqc codes to a diseqc switch with a fixed dish and multiple LNB's rather than a motorised dish with one LNB.
6. My codes work with my Satellite card (TBS6921), and my diseqc motor. Other cards and motors may not work.
7. Converting dec to hex is easy with the windows calculator. Put it in "Programmer" mode and you can change between the dec and hex settings.

I have started updating the Excel file for 39E, but of course it needs your Lat & Long to give the final diseqc code. 42E broke my Excel logic, as 42E is 46.99 (corrected) with my lat & long, and my present calculation rounds up the fraction - in this case making it = 1 which isn't in the Hlookup fractions table. Not a big problem, as 1 is no longer a fraction, and can be added back to the original corrected angle value. I'll do that when I have a clear head ! (But it means that 42E degrees is actually 47 (corrected) at my lat & long).

I hope that makes it clearer - let me know how you get on, or let me know your lat & long and I'll put them in the example file. Download it again to see the changes (I hope my editing of it doesn't break the original URL).

More tomorrow !

Tim
Homer

Postby billybob69 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:09 pm

Homer wrote:billybob69 - Don't panic !

1. Yes, all of my diseqc commands start with E0 31 6E.
2. Yes, the final 4 entries are to set the angle you want the dish to go to.
3. Yes, row 15 is the angle bytes.
4. Yes, 28.2E is E2 02 (From my lat & long).
5. Row 13 should have been green, as you have to manually calculate the hex value.

I've downloaded the updated spreadsheet. Thanks.
1. Your diseqc commands start with E0 31 E6, can I double-check that mine will as well?
5. Row 13 was green, but I didn't manually calculate anything. Should have done?

Many thanks,
bb69
billybob69

Next

Return to DVBLink TVSource