AnySee N7 TCP streaming

DVBLink TVSource is discussed here!

AnySee N7 TCP streaming

Postby ProMace » Mon May 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi,

After the initial euphoria (no pun intended) of my earlier post, I observed the occasional glitch while watching channels from the AnySee N7. I decided to do a clean install on my laptop, without the network client, and figure out what the issue might be. The N7 is hooked up directly to the laptop, because I wanted to take out as many variables as possible (including the router). The situation is as follows:

- When using the AnySee NjoyPlayer, there are no glitches at all. There are deinterlacing problems, but this is a separate issue and not relevant to what I'm trying to figure out.
- When using Windows Media Center 7, there is the occasional glitch, on average I would say 4-5 times per 10 minutes.

I then used TCPView to observe information about the streams in the aforementioned scenarios. It appears that the NjoyPlayer is receiving a TCP stream, whereas the DVB Server is getting a UDP stream. This could account for the occasional glitches. Hence my question is whether you can implement TCP streaming from the N7 to the DVB Server, similar to what has already been implemented for DVB Server to clients. I assume this could be implemented as a parameter/switch in the N7 source settings (anysee_n7_settings.xml). Do my observations and suggestion make sense?

Regards,

ProMace
ProMace

Re: AnySee N7 TCP streaming

Postby Oberon » Mon May 28, 2012 1:56 pm

There will be no tcp streaming implemented for N7 on the short/mid term
However you can raise the dvblink server priority to real-time and glitches should disappear.
Server: Synology DS214Play, DVBSky S960CI Astra 28/23/19 (CanalDigitaal subscription), TeVii s660 Amos 4/Sirius, DVBLink TVSource 5.0.0
Clients: AsRock ION 330 Win7 with XBMC 13.1, Raspberry Pi with XBMC 13.1, Samsung DLNA TV, Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Oberon

Postby ProMace » Mon May 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Actually, I'm already running the service in realtime mode in the single installation test setup, as well as in the 'production' client/server setup...

Honestly speaking, I'm rather surprised that TCP streaming has not been implemented for the N7 TV Source plugin. The hardware obviously supports it (and AnySee's own player uses it) and as far as I've been informed, UDP is geared more towards 'low quality' internet streaming, not HD TV streams. Is there any further development on the plugin at all? I'm hoping there is, given the 300 euros I spent on this (256 for the tuner + 45 for the DVBLink software)... :-|

Regards,

ProMace
ProMace

Postby ProMace » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Good afternoon,

In the meantime, I've contacted NJoy Digital about the issue. In summary, this is what we discussed:

1. The Njoy Player works fine in the local setup as well as in my 'production' network setup including a router or switch (I've tried both). On a side note, fixing the deinterlacing issue was just a matter of enabling 'optimize for quality' in the player.
2. Since the streaming problem also occurs on a local laptop DVBLink installation with a direct (no router) ethernet connection, the LAN setup is assumed not to be the issue.
3. Since one would expect UDP streaming to at least work without dropouts etc. in the direct connection setup (including using realtime prio for the DVBLink server process), NJoy assume that there is something wrong with the UDP streaming implementation (from N7 to server) in DVBLink.
4. NJoy state that they had already contacted DVBLogic about the streaming issue (after I had reported it to them) and that DVBLogic had indicated a new version of DVBLink for AnySee N7 would be available in 4.5, although the exact timing is currently unclear.
5. NJoy claim that the N7 can and should stream perfectly using UDP as well as TCP.
6. NJoy informed me that they have a strict agreement with DVBLogic that issues, such as the one I raised here, be directed to and addressed via your forum, because this would ensure that DVBLogic get the chance to address these issues (assuming they are software-related).

With regard to item 4, I know that 4.5 is currently in beta, but haven't read anything about N7 (UDP or TCP) streaming. Can you comment on this?

For the time being I can live with the issue by using NJoy's player for cable channels, but obviously I'd highly appreciate some reasonable timing indication for a solution, other than 'not in the short or mid term' which sounds like I (and other N7 owners) would have to wait at least a year before getting support.

By the way, can you confirm for yourselves that there is a streaming issue using an N7 in a setup of your own?

Thanks,

ProMace
ProMace

Postby ProMace » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:20 am

Good morning,

Given the fact that N7 streams can be played via HTTP URL's, I decided to download the trial version of DVBLink IPTV. For testing purposes, I moved one channel from the AnySee N7 source to the IPTV source in my production setup. I can't use my laptop for testing anymore since the trial license for Connect Server! etc. has expired and the paid license is hardware-bound. In summary:

1. As a result of many tries to tune to the IPTV channel, 99 % resulted in the annoying 'Playready Update' error. From what I've understood, this means WMC is not getting a stream. This happens occasionally with the N7 plugin too, but for some reason it is very persistent with the IPTV source. Is there a timing issue where the stream is not delivered fast enough (for WMC)?
2. The one time I did get a TCP stream, it was practically perfect, without the annoying intermittent block artifacts I'm observing with the N7 source.

In addition and for reference, I also tried the IPTV functionality provided by MediaPortal and this worked flawlessly.

Instead of putting effort into the N7 source, perhaps you could look into finetuning the IPTV source to work consistently with the N7? I hope you realize I'm trying very hard to get this setup stable and provide you (and other N7 users) with detailed feedback in the process. Thanks.

Regards,

ProMace
ProMace

Postby ProMace » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Oberon,

You need not look further into this, already found the solution. After posting to this forum, I contacted the guys at NJoy about compatibility with DVBLink IPTV. They suggested I install the latest firmware that was released a couple of days ago. The release notes indicate that 'the TCP packet size has been changed for better streaming to mobile devices'. Of course I'm not streaming to a mobile device, so my expectations were not so high, but to my surprise DVBLink IPTV is working fine now. Zapping to the 'IPTV sourced' test channel now works consistently, without the PlayReady error, and as stated before there are no blocked artifacts. In addition, I've briefly tested the UDP stream based channels again based on the new firmware, but the glitches persist.

I'm not sure why the choice was made to create a separate module for the N7 and not bundle IPTV with it instead. In fact, I think you could make many new N7 buyers happy by bundling IPTV, while I'd be very content if you could offer me and other existing N7 owners an IPTV license to compensate for all the headaches that futile tweaking has caused. Please let me know your thoughts on this, thanks.

Regards,

ProMace
ProMace

Postby Oberon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks for reporting.
Actually unstable channel switching over http was the reason why udp was used.
We will look further into this when we have time.
Server: Synology DS214Play, DVBSky S960CI Astra 28/23/19 (CanalDigitaal subscription), TeVii s660 Amos 4/Sirius, DVBLink TVSource 5.0.0
Clients: AsRock ION 330 Win7 with XBMC 13.1, Raspberry Pi with XBMC 13.1, Samsung DLNA TV, Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Oberon

Postby ProMace » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Okay, thanks for your reply. Would it be possible to provide one of the following:

1. A full IPTV license or
2. A temporary IPTV license - e.g. 6 months - to bridge the period until you can deliver an 'N7 only' version of IPTV? Thanks.

Regards,

ProMace
ProMace

Postby ernstw » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:49 pm

adding the remote link "http://N7ipadress/n7_tv_chlist.m3u " in the remote playlist section for the anysee N7 seems to work ,Are you using this ProMace?
or did you build your own "playlist" ?

Best regards,
Ernst
ernstw

Return to DVBLink TVSource