Release of DVBLink 6

General discussions over DVBLink products

Re: Release of DVBLink 6

Postby drew_sav » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:51 am

I read somewhere that the pricing model has changed and that it's now subscription based - is that true? I have a QNAP server running DVBLink Server and TVSource; after the 49 euro (or discounted 25 euro) upgrade, does this mean I'll now be paying something annually?

Sav
drew_sav

Postby Oberon » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:06 pm

The full details on pricing and upgrade procedure are available in our news: http://dvblogic.com/en/news/86-majorreleasedvblinkv6/
Oberon

Postby drew_sav » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks for the link Oberon.

Noted that the only product changing to a subscription model is DVBLink IPTV Server.

Sav
drew_sav

Postby kikesal22 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:50 am

Hello Oberon

Maybe I've missed something but I was not able to find the pricing scheme for the IPTV Server which now on v6 goes to a subscription model.

On your news page you say that 3 and 12 months subscriptions will be available but there is no information about how much does it cost.
kikesal22

Postby the_man » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:45 pm

kikesal22 wrote:Hello Oberon

Maybe I've missed something but I was not able to find the pricing scheme for the IPTV Server which now on v6 goes to a subscription model.

On your news page you say that 3 and 12 months subscriptions will be available but there is no information about how much does it cost.

You may find it on the http://dvblogic.com/en/shop/
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby kikesal22 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks for your reply. On that page I see the standard prices for the products.

Does this means that now we have to pay 25 € per year for IPTV given that no continuous updates or maintenance is provided/needed for this kind of product? An antivirus or an EPG loader for example involves continuous development and investment of time to maintain the product functionality (in this case the development is already done and we need to provide the contents ourselves I.e tv channel subscription)

I would like to have a better understanding for the reasons to have this converted to a subscription model when no new content would be delivered/provided during such subscription (I don't consider bug fixing and minor changes as new content), as I understand that the upgrade to a future version will need to be purchased separately. Is my assumption correct?

Or maybe you are going to include future releases free of charge as part of this subscription as Office 365 does for example.

Thank you.
kikesal22

Postby Oberon » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:09 am

It is 50 euro per 3 months or 180 euro a year.

There is major rework done in v6 on DVBLink IPTV server. We are making a new webpage specifically for it, which will be available in the near future. That's the reason why the product description on the website is not up to date.

What we have done in v6 for IPTV server:
- removed 8 channel limitation. It is a fully functional product without limitations now.
- added http unicast
- added warm integration with Stalker middleware and MAG settopboxes
- added LG Pro:Centric hotel TV integration
- added file-based channels for promo and info channels

Because of all changes above and the fact that IPTV server is not a consumer, but rather b2b product we have changed the cost model to subscription-based. Its price includes all updates/upgrades, also major ones, for the period of active subscription.
Those, who have v5 IPTV server, may continue using as long as they like. When being upgraded to v6, they are given 3 months subscription.
Oberon

Postby kikesal22 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Hello Oberon.

The change to a b2b model may explain this change (I don't have knowledge about Hotel content delivery systems so I cannot give any opinion about that(.

But my feedback (as final customer) would be to have your page updated with this pricing, your product usage cost goes from 25 Euro (single payment in v5) to 180 euro a year plus the upgrade cost (for people that may not be running a business, and it's not aware of the implications for upgrading to v6)

I can understand that this decision may be motivated by strategic and/or revenue reasons but end users may feel this like a "trap" whenever they upgrade to v6 and realize that they will need to pay an additional 180 Euro price to continue using the product once the 3 month subscription has expired.

I don't know how many end users you have but I believe you owe them the initial trust deposited on the product (before becoming so big and ambitious) and they may feel themselves betrayed by this decision if they find that they are forced to pay such a big quantity for functionality they are not going to use (as an end customer, I dont need integration with LG tv for hotel content delivery, even more when I use a raspberry server). Maybe an end user license in addition to the business license may be helpful here if you are still interested in end-users for IPTV.

Please don't take this as a critique but as valuable feedback from a satisfied customer that will stick to v5 as in this case v6 doesn't seem to be oriented for him.

Thank you again for the efforts and the detailed response.
kikesal22

Postby Oberon » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:56 pm

Are you an actual DVBLink IPTV Server user/customer?
It has never been 25 euro price. Even in v5 it used to be 50 euro with maximum of 8 channels limitation.
Oberon

Postby kikesal22 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:32 pm

No I am not.

And now I see my confusion.

I have purchased DVBLink for IPTV -> http://dvblogic.com/en/dvblink/raspberr ... -for-iptv/ for raspberry Pi

I costs 25€ (now for version 6) and it is the only product I use to stream IP TV channels (only one client, only for my own), as DVBServer is free.

I do not use DVBLink IPTV server (which is actually not available for raspberry) and that I see that has the subscription price detailed on its page.

So my question is, if I want to upgrade this product DVBLink for IPTV to v6 I won't be under any license right? I will only need to pay the 50% discounted price for existing customers 13 €.

Sorry for the confusion as I see that you advertise this on the page (the business solution and subscription details), I was just simply looking at the wrong product, my bad.

Thanks for the support and clarifications so far Oberon.
kikesal22

Postby Oberon » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:35 pm

Yes, unless you fall under free upgrade rule, you need to pay 50% of the price for the upgrade (e.g. 12.50 euro)
Oberon

Postby kikesal22 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Great, thank you. I don't believe I fall under the upgrade rule, I am a pretty old customer.

As said before very satisfied with the work and also with the explanations, now it makes complete sense :D . To be honest I was really surprised about the subscription model to stream your own content (viewing only one channel a time)

Cheers.
kikesal22

Previous

Return to General