Question: A question to those who own EyeTV mac os software

General discussions over DVBLink products

Question: A question to those who own EyeTV mac os software

Postby Oberon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:18 pm

What happens to the ongoing timer recording with EyeTV software if user closes the lid of a macbook or selects Sleep in the Finder menu?

Thanks ;)
Oberon

Re: Question: A question to those who own EyeTV mac os softw

Postby TonVH » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Good question. Alas, I have never run EyeTV on a Macbook always on iMac.

When iMac is asleep then EyeTV will waken it and properly record. Macbook has an option (newer OSX's) to do a number of things even if the lid is closed and it is in deep sleep. So I think that the newest versions of EyeTV ought to wake up the Macbook and start recording.

Best it to give it a try. Schedule a recording in say 10 minutes with duration of 10 minutes, Close the lid, wait 20 minutes and see the result.

I'm also curious.
TonVH

Postby Oberon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks. I am talking specifically about the ongoing timer recording.
The reason why I am asking is that we are about to launch DVBLink on Mac OS. And when user selects Sleep from a Finder's menu the ongoing timer recording is stopped immediately. This sleep is absolutely unconditional - there is nothing we can do to prevent it.
Almost the same holds for a closed lid on a macbook - timer recording is interrupted. There are some advanced kernel techniques to prevent sleep on lid closure, but generally speaking it is also unconditional.
Oberon

Postby TonVH » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:56 pm

The latest OSX's do have a setting by which a number of programs keep running. It's called "Turn on Power Nap' (in systemprefs-->Energy) and mentioned are mail, agenda, iCloud updates. Maybe there lies a solution.

I also do know there are small apps that (when installed) will enable a MacBook to keep running even with the lid closed. This is mainly used by people who want to watch a movie on they TV/Mediaplayer and that originates on the MacBook. Enclosed a smaal list with apps that are supposed to do that.

if you want I can test DVBlink with these apps.

ScrnPrnt.539.png
ScrnPrnt.539.png (67.7 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
TonVH

Postby Oberon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Yes, I know about these small utilities that keep tacos alive with lid closed. They use kernel extensions for the task.
If possible, can you please test for me a scenario with EyeTV, doing a recording and user selecting Sleep menu item from Finder? Will the recording be interrupted in this case?
Thanks.
Oberon

Postby TonVH » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:19 pm

Why using "Sleep" from Finder menu? I think most people simply close the lid and let OSX do all his stuff. At least of the people I know having a MacBook most do not even know there is a sleepmenu, they just close the lid.

I will try tonight/tomorrow and let the results be known.
TonVH

Postby TonVH » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:38 pm

I installed the app "no sleep". Then I scheduled a recording for about 30 minutes later and started another recording. While this recording was running I closed the lid.

About 60 min. later I opened the lid.

1. The manually started recording had been broken off but not at the moment that I closed the lid but about 5 min. later.
So not successful.

2. The schedules recording however had started and fully recorded all that it was supposed to do.
So a successful recording.

No idea why (1) was broken off. It might be possible that the HDHomerun was taken away by another running EyeTV. Do not know how this device acts when it is recording for one and then simultaneously is accessed by another.

Hope this helps.
TonVH

Postby Oberon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks.
As far as I know another user of hdhomerun cannot interrupt an ongoing streaming. At least I am not aware of such a possibility.
Would it be possible to make another test, but this time without the "no sleep" app?
Oberon

Postby TonVH » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:24 pm

Uninstalled the "No Sleep" app, schedules a recording which was supposed to start 10 minutes later, closed the lid.

Long after the recording was expected to finish, opened the lid and checked. Weirdly the recording had started but was halted after 14 seconds. Weird, know no explanation for this strange behavior.

My conclusion for the moment:
With "No Sleep" recording during sleep looks like it is working.
TonVH

Postby Oberon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:38 pm

Yes, that's exactly the same behavior as we have observed. Recording starts with a closed lid and halts after some seconds.
Thank you very much for doing tests!
Oberon

Postby TonVH » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Most likeur OSX honora the wake up call and them the recordinternational starts. But than falla alleen because it detectie no activiteiten.

Soluties might to to wake up every 10 seconds.
TonVH

Return to General