EPG New/Repeat Feature not Working

General discussions over DVBLink products

Re: EPG New/Repeat Feature not Working

Postby AEBogdan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks for the update!

The timing should work out well. The second week of September will be a perfect testing time for this update. We'll be able to check the timers being set for all the new episodes that will start broadcasting September 20th.
AEBogdan

Postby RTK » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Thank you
RTK

Postby Charles R » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:42 pm

I (we) appreciate the update.
Charles R

Postby Oberon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:51 pm

The new build of DVBLink server and DVBLink EPG Loader for Percdata, which have been released today, use Repeat or Premiere flag for filtering non-new recordings.
Please pay attention that premiere flag is set a bit sporadic (in my eyes at least) by Percdata. So if you have something recorded taht should not or vise verse - examine the epg data first.
Oberon

Postby AEBogdan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Loaded the update.

There is definitely a difference between NEW and REPEAT settings now, so data has changed under the surface, but quite a few shows, including Prime Time shows on Network TV, are setting up timers incorrectly when set to record NEW Only.

"Saturday Night Live" is recording Repeats it shouldn't
"Master Chef" is Not recording NEW episodes it should
"Mr Robinson" is Not recording NEW episodes it should

Should we contact PERCDATA about all discrepancies, or do you want us to let you know what we're finding so you can look into it with them in case there's more data parsing required? I don't see a way to examine the EPG data myself (and have not seen any NEW flags listed in the interface) so I assume inspecting the EPG data will require contacting PERC?
AEBogdan

Postby Oberon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:59 pm

The premiere programs should have a premiere icon when looked in web epg. If they do not, then the premiere information is not supplied by percdata for them.
Oberon

Postby AEBogdan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Checked with Robert at PERCDATA.

I've confirmed in the data we are not sending "NEW" flags for SNL and are for Mr. Robinson.

Sounds like a DVBLink issue. I would report it to them in the forum.

I'm on Build 11892 for everything. I stopped and restarted DVBLink to be sure it wasn't something related to a fresh update of the plug-ins.

I still do not see any Premiere icons. "Mr Robinson" is an early premiere, so should be a good test. PERC says there is a PREMIERE FLAG set for that show. I do not see the icon and no timers are being set when NEW only.

I do not see a Premiere icon for "Saturday Night Live", yet it IS being set to record even though it is a repeat.

I'm testing using the SCHEDULES tab page. I change the "Only New Programs" setting and examine the list of timers set.

Is it possible the PERC data has not been refreshed yet? Should it reload the guide data after an update, or upon a restart, or only at a particular time of day? Otherwise there's still a logic issue somewhere.
AEBogdan

Postby AEBogdan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:29 pm

If you'd like me to beta test an update before going live with it just email me the Synology package and I'll give it a go.
AEBogdan

Postby Oberon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:09 pm

It might be that you need a refresh of percdata data for premiere flag to be processed. It might take up to 12 hours.
Oberon

Postby Charles R » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:20 pm

I'm seeing premiere episodes not being scheduled as well. At this point I have to tell it to record everything or I'm missing recordings. Hopefully someone else will test it further! :) Must say if it requires a refresh of the guide data the upgrade or whatnot should have fired it off...
Charles R

Postby AEBogdan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:06 pm

As of this morning here's what I'm seeing:

If a show is a Repeat and I set it to record only new episodes then the show does not record. Repeats are handled correctly. The issue with "Saturday Night Live" recording when it shouldn't has been corrected.

If a show is a Premiere and I set it to record only new episodes the show does not record. New episodes are not handled correctly. The issue with new episodes of "Mr Robertson" and "Master Chef" not being recorded remains.

There are still no NEW vs REPEAT icons on the Guide.

I used the EPG configuration button and was able to force an update of the PERC data this morning by saving the configuration (user and password) again. It said the guide data would be updated within 30 minutes. After waiting a few hours there was no change in the above.
AEBogdan

Postby AEBogdan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm

The interesting aspect is that repeats are not being recorded when "Only new programs" is set to YES. That appears to mean the PERCDATA was loaded, the repeat flag was set, and the "Only new programs" function logic is works for repeats?

The question is: Why is it not recording New programs or showing the NEW icon in the guide? Is there a procedure used to determining if a show is NEW and it has a bug, or is there a different flag for Repeat and New and the New flag is not being set correctly while the Repeat flag is?

As Charles said, it's no problem just recording everything for now. Let me know if I can send you any files or screen shots to speed up debugging.

***UPDATE: Actually with a little extra thought, I guess there is no proof that it understands repeats because it does not record new shows either. All it proved is that the update loaded and it is filtering something now.***
Last edited by AEBogdan on Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
AEBogdan

Postby AEBogdan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Next week that "Mr Robinson" show is being replaced with another never before broadcast show. When I set "Only New Programs" to YES I see that it records only the PILOT/PREMIERE episode, but not any other NEW episodes. I also see a "P" icon in the guide for the PILOT/PREMIERE show, but do not see any icons for the NEW episodes that follow.

So, from what I can tell by playing with it the software understands PILOT/PREMIERE EPISODES (first episode of a new series), but does not yet understand what a NEW (never broadcast before) episode is.

Previously I was thinking it understood what a repeat was because it no longer recorded repeats when "Only New Programs" was set to YES, but I guess it may just be filtering out everything except PILOT/PREMIERE episodes?

Perhaps there was confusion for all of us about terminology and what the PERC flags really mean?

Let us know if this gives you the data you need to proceed. Thanks!
AEBogdan

Postby AEBogdan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Just to keep everyone informed, Robert at PERC said he'll be in contact to assist with this.

In case anyone is curious, here's data for the show I was testing with above.

<schedule program='EP021560720001' station='19627' time='2015-08-27T01:00:00Z' duration='PT00H30M' tvRating='TV-PG' stereo='true' hdtv='true' closeCaptioned='true' dolby='Dolby Digital' new='true' letterbox='true' premier_finale='Series Premiere'/>
<schedule program='EP021560720002' station='19627' time='2015-08-27T01:30:00Z' duration='PT00H30M' tvRating='TV-PG' stereo='true' hdtv='true' closeCaptioned='true' dolby='Dolby Digital' new='true' letterbox='true'/>
AEBogdan

Postby Charles R » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:40 am

Since we can only guess as to what data (fields) is available as well as what logic is being used I think it's fruitless to attempt to figure things out... at some point they will push out an update and we can only hope it does what we have requested along the way. :)
Charles R

PreviousNext

Return to General