EPG New/Repeat Feature not Working

General discussions over DVBLink products

Re: EPG New/Repeat Feature not Working

Postby AEBogdan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:34 pm

@Oberon - I'm also using a Synology NAS (Intel Atom x86 Processor)
AEBogdan

Postby AEBogdan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:19 am

@Oberon

One more piece of information for your coders in relationship to the Episode Number issue Charles found. Here's what Robert at PERC suggested might be going on:

Looks DVBLink is using the "syndicatedEpisodeNumber" but ignoring the alpha part. (again, these are producer controlled values)
The EP##### is what most applications use to determine repeats. (but it's only guaranteed unique when it starts with EP. It starts with SH when details are not known)
AEBogdan

Postby Charles R » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:05 am

Tonight it didn't record America's Got Talent using the Previous not recorded logic. Which was first run... I guess it happens more often than I thought. Luckily America doesn't have that much talent and I only watch if/when I'm bored. :) This time of year is so bad I just rechecked all of my series and only one I set Only new programs to No. Largely so I don't hear it from the wife if it's missed...
Charles R

Postby AEBogdan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:33 pm

@Charles

Looks like the same bug we already reported for "Bachelor In Paradise". The first night is PERFORMANCES. The second night is RESULTS. So, the same episode number for both shows, but likely a different alpha prefix or suffix in the name.

Once they update the importer to use the correct PERC episode number field this should be fixed for all shows that have multiple variations of the same episode number.

@Oberon

Could you confirm that this bug is being worked on and will it be in the next release.
Could you update us on the status of the PERC EPG Importer that uses the "new" field instead of the "premier_finale" field?

We're now running out of time to properly test the updated NEW ONLY feature. It will be easy to verify it's all working while we can see both repeats and new episodes in the guide. Once there are only new episodes it won't be as easy to verify the importer fixes worked.
AEBogdan

Postby Oberon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:47 pm

Here is the installer for Synology x86_64 platform, which takes into account "new" flag instead of premiere flag. It should work fine with new only algorithm, which uses EPG flags - repeat and new.
http://www.dvblogic.com/download/Trunk/ ... -5.5.0.dlp

The EPxxxx episode identifiers are not used and will not be used as they are vendor/provider specific, while DVBLink can only handle the actual season/episode numbers for its "previously not recorded" mechanism.
Oberon

Postby AEBogdan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Wrong file in the link. Should be in the form of "dvblink-server-synology-linux-x86_64-5.5.0.spk".
AEBogdan

Postby Oberon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:39 pm

AEBogdan wrote:Wrong file in the link. Should be in the form of "dvblink-server-synology-linux-x86_64-5.5.0.spk".

No, it's correct - this is a percdata loader installer.
Oberon

Postby Oberon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Also, forgot to say that if you are good with ssh, then please delete all files under /var/packages/DVBLinkSever/target/sources/<your percdata loader>/schedules and restart dvblink server package to trigger the schedules update.
Oberon

Postby jawilljr » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Oberon wrote:Also, forgot to say that if you are good with ssh, then please delete all files under /var/packages/DVBLinkSever/target/sources/<your percdata loader>/schedules and restart dvblink server package to trigger the schedules update.

Oberon, Ubuntu also has this bug. Will DVBLogic update the Percdata addon for Ubuntu?
jawilljr

Postby AEBogdan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Yet so far the PERC Importer appears to be working. I checked shows that were not being scheduled properly before and they are now working.

The best testing will start Monday as the Fall Season shows will start to drift onto the two week guide data. That will allow easy inspection of REPEAT episodes vs NEW episodes.

I glanced at "America's Got Talent" and noticed a few things. See image below.

First, the list does not display in either date/time order or episode order. That makes it difficult to quickly scan and see what will be recorded in what order. Also, can users change the date and time display formats? In the US we usually do mm/dd rather than dd.mm. The AM/PM time format may be easier for many people as well.

Note that the first item in the list below was not an original broadcast date, so it was not flagged as new and would not be scheduled as NEW, which is correct. You can look at the link included next to see original broadcast dates. The following week has two episodes marked as NEW and they are on their original air dates, so it appears this new method will work properly for Charles. It seems this should fix all the issues he posted about since the Episode Numbers are no longer used to decide what a NEW episode is, and the PERC data has been perfectly clean yet so far.

http://epguides.com/AmericasGotTalent/

The [P] icon should probably be changed to a [NEW] icon to avoid confusion with how other TV Guides in the US use the terminology NEW vs PREMIERE.

If the problem with repeated episode numbers will not be fixed in the old method, then it might be best to default to the EPG method for all US customers.

One way to implement code that would handle sub-episode numbers using the old method would be to add a new sub-episode numeric field to the indexed lookup table for previously recorded shows. If an episode number does not include alpha characters place a zero in this field and all works as it has in the past. If a show does include ALPHA characters in the episode number put a numeric key value and place the actual alpha episode code into a lookup table. This would allow retrieving the original episode code for comparison only when necessary without much storage or processing overhead. Just a suggestion for consideration if there's interest in having both methods work fully for US guide data. (Of course, may not be necessary if everyone uses the new EPG method instead.)

I'll glance over all scheduled shows over the next two week and report back.
Attachments
2015-09-03_12-20-42.jpg
2015-09-03_12-20-42.jpg (121.25 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
AEBogdan

Postby Charles R » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:33 am

If it makes you guys feel any better TiVo doesn't record Rookie Blue as new (in the US) since it has already aired in Canada.
Charles R

Postby Oberon » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:53 am

All of the changes, regarding the "new" flag processing have been released as a new PercData loader build for all supported platforms.
Changing icon (from P to N), processing EPxxx ids, default time/date visualization and default "new algorithm" for NA users are put on todo list without specific ETA at the moment.
Oberon

Previous

Return to General