Monitoring Disconnects

General discussions over DVBLink products

Monitoring Disconnects

Postby Charles R » Sun May 17, 2015 8:54 pm

I have been seeing slight image breakups of late regardless of my client. As if I view the recording on different clients I still see the issue.

I used the same setup with WMC for almost three years and I had zero of these issues so I don't think it's signal strength or network related. I have also tested the signal strength with HDHomeRun's setup app and the channels are typically close to 100% in strength and quality. I have seen the issue on several if not all channels. Right now I viewed one channel for a while and saw the issue and I'm now viewing the same channel via HDHomeRun's View and haven't seen it at all (current station is constant at 87-88% strength). Signal and Symbol Quality locked at 100%.

I'm running the latest releases and I'm not sure I haven't seen the issue since day one off and on. Just yesterday I did a complete uninstall, deleted the Share and installed everything from scratch with no difference. I was hoping it was a cure... Having searched the issue I haven't learned much... is a "disconnect" always related to signal strength, network between the tuner and NAS or can it be further up the chain such as inside the processing of DVBLink?

Any suggestions and or hints?

I should note I have swapped all of the cables on the tuners, tried different ports, rebooted the router, swapped NAS cable and stood on my head a few times. :)

UPDATE: I disabled the DVBLink Add-on and enabled the ServerWMC Add-on (Kodi 14.2) and I see zero breakup. Re-enabled DVBLink and I see occasional breakup.
Attachments
dvblink-log-20150517-1641.zip
(22.08 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (13.69 KiB) Viewed 8051 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (61.49 KiB) Viewed 8055 times
Charles R

Re: Monitoring Disconnects

Postby Oberon » Mon May 18, 2015 2:04 pm

There is a discussion about this phenomena here:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=29572

Can you please try changing either BIOS or Windows power management settings to see if it improves the situation?
Oberon

Postby Charles R » Mon May 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Oberon wrote:There is a discussion about this phenomena here:
http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=29572

Can you please try changing either BIOS or Windows power management settings to see if it improves the situation?

The recordings are done via a ReadyNAS. Viewing is done via OpenELEC and Windows. And the issue is in the recording itself as when I see it I can go to another client and see it "yet again" Not sure how power management could be involved...

I have read that thread and a few others but haven't found a solution or even a suggestion on how to resolve it.

Can we get a definition of disconnect? What exactly is it reporting...
Charles R

Postby Charles R » Wed May 20, 2015 5:25 am

Just for kicks I installed my NAS from scratch and still see the issue. It appears to be largely (if not entirely) limited to one channel. Tonight I viewed quite a number of hours on others fine. As soon as I started watching the one channel I saw slight breakups... minor but there once in a while. So I thought what the heck. I switched my OpenELEC installation connected to the TV to ServerWMC and starting watching.

Then I started viewing the same channel on my PC via Kodi/DVBLink and within a few seconds the image broke up for a second and staring at both screens the ServerWMC was fine... no breakup. Just saw the same thing again.

If you remember HDHomeRun says the signal is great using their Setup app.

Any chance this could be bitrate related? The channel flat lines at roughly 15000 one of if not my highest. And it's within the buffer/recording as when I replay the break up it's always there.
Charles R

Postby the_man » Thu May 21, 2015 2:03 pm

Does discon issue happen only with high bitrate channels?
NETGEAR RNDU2000; Synology DS112j, DS 212j, DS213+, DS 712+; Western Digital WD ex2; Asustor AS3, RPI2 ...
PCTV 460,461e,292e; TT 4400, 4650CI;DVBSKy S960; DD octopus net; Inverto sat2ip multibox; TBS DVB-C ...
the_man

Postby Charles R » Thu May 21, 2015 7:13 pm

the_man wrote:Does discon issue happen only with high bitrate channels?

Hard to know for sure. So far I have noticed it more on two 1080i channels. Most of the other channels I watch are 720p and they typically use a little less bandwidth.

The issue itself is typically minor breakup for just an instant. Rarely is it of any length. If I didn't view the same channel at the same time via WMC (both inside of Kodi - swapping clients) and having it appear perfect I would think it's simply an iffy signal.
Charles R

Postby RTK » Fri May 22, 2015 1:11 am

From the other thread started by Marcelveldt, the current thinking was there seem to be a CPU related issue affecting DVBlink although whether this is the same issue you are seeing I don't know. Thus far I haven't seen any Synology users reporting similar issues so maybe it is CPU related.
RTK

Postby Charles R » Fri May 22, 2015 2:58 am

RTK wrote:From the other thread started by Marcelveldt, the current thinking was there seem to be a CPU related issue affecting DVBlink although whether this is the same issue you are seeing I don't know.

My guess is if it was CPU related it would be more repeatable. This comes and goes... mostly goes. Like the monitor above the one channel is pretty much a straight line. It might be fine for more than 99% of an hour show. Also, a pure guess but I think it's more common than people know as they think it's signal related. I know I did for quite a long time.
Charles R

Postby Charles R » Tue May 26, 2015 5:53 am

This weekend I started catching up on a series and noticed the issue started around 5/12. The recording the week before was fine. So sometime between 5/5 and 5/12 it began. I remember one of the apps were updated not too long ago (using Netgear Intel) and I typically update right away...

I haven't checked of late as I switched to WMC because of the issue and figured I would give it another try when the next update is released.
Charles R

Postby Charles R » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Is there any testing or log checking I can do to look further into this issue? This time of year recordings are sparse so I can probably use DVBLink and WMC at the same time to some degree. I'd love to resolve the issue and switch back to DVBLink...
Charles R

Postby toga » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Charles R wrote:Can we get a definition of disconnect? What exactly is it reporting...

To answer this question: The receiver of a DVB transport stream has two means to verify the integrity of the data:

a) Every packet in the TS has an error bit, that is set by the receiver’s hardware when an uncorrectable bit error was found in the packet. This indicates that the signal quality is poor or any other – most likely physical – problem exists so that the data bits are wrong.

b) Every packet in the TS has also a small 4-bit counter field that is incremented for each packet by the sender. With the help of this field, the receiver can detect when packets are missing in the packet stream it receives, simply by comparing the counter field in the next packet with the expected value which is calculated by the last packet’s counter+1. When they differ, packets got lost, and that’s called a “discontinuity error”. (That counter is actually one individual counter per each stream packet id PID, so discontinuity errors can be detected for each PID stream individually.)

DVBLink software shows errors of type a) in the “Errors” column, and type b) in the “Discon…” column.

So the meaning of “Discon…” is not “disconnect”, but “discontinuity error”.

For the possible reasons: Discontinuity errors indicate that packets somehow are dropped at or before DVBlink can process the TS stream. It can mean that the hardware (CPU, bus, etc.) is not fast enough to transfer the data from the receiver’s hardware (PC card, USB stick, etc.) to the system.

In your case, IIUC, you’re using a HDHomeRun hardware, and from its website, it seems that it is an external box that sends the TS data via the local network. Maybe you should check the network connection, temporarily disconnect all other devices from the network, and/or try a direct cable connection from the HDHomeRun box to the DVBLink PC. Also you might want to check the network driver, or any network related software (like filters, personal firewall, or anti-virus software with network inspection).

I hope that helps.

Btw, @Oberon: Please consider to implement viewtopic.php?f=70&t=29079, so it would be possible after the recording, right on the recordings page, to know when such errors (of both types) had occurred.
toga

Postby Charles R » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:28 am

toga wrote:In your case, IIUC, you’re using a HDHomeRun hardware, and from its website, it seems that it is an external box that sends the TS data via the local network. Maybe you should check the network connection, temporarily disconnect all other devices from the network, and/or try a direct cable connection from the HDHomeRun box to the DVBLink PC. Also you might want to check the network driver, or any network related software (like filters, personal firewall, or anti-virus software with network inspection).

I have reviewed the above possible issues but feel they are mute. Because I can use two clients (switching back and forth between different back-ends fed from the same tuners/network/etc) and the issue always follows DVBLink never WMC.

One a Windows PC with Kodi and one a OpenELEC PC with Kodi. One I'll configure with the DVBLink Add-on and the other with the WMC Add-on. I'll view the same channel (at the same time) on both and see breakup only with the one using DVBLink. Then I'll reverse the Add-ons and still see it only with DVBLink. Of course I have seen it when only using DVBLink.

Which means replacing DVBLink makes the issue go away every time and I can't reproduce it without using DVBLink. Now I don't have a clue as to what's causing the issue (lack of compatibility with my ReadyNAS OS/firmware or whatnot) however I'm pretty comfortable i wasn't having the issue previously and the only real changes have been updated NAS firmware and a possible newer version of DVBLink. I guess it could even be related to the DVBLink Add-on... I know that was updated at some point.
Charles R

Postby Charles R » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:11 am

After using WMCServer with Kodi for a few weeks I figured I'd try DVBLInk again. Never an issue with WMC and instantly occasional breakup with DVBLink. I even downgraded my ReadyNAS to 6.2.4 and still saw the issue.
Charles R

Postby Oberon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:49 am

Can you please set up dvblink for a test on the windows machine to see if there are also discontinuities there?
Oberon

Postby Charles R » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Oberon wrote:Can you please set up dvblink for a test on the windows machine to see if there are also discontinuities there?

I have some good news. A couple of nights ago the breakups weren't that often but for some reason last night they were very bad (within a couple of minutes of each other). So after I installed the older firmware and instantly saw the same issue I had pretty much given up the ghost and upgraded back to the latest firmware. However for some unknown reason I turned off the option to spin down the drive after 5 minutes of no activity. When I turned it off the image broke up for a second and was perfect the rest of the evening... couple of hours tops.

Doesn't make any sense (to me) why this would matter as surely the NAS knows the drive is being accessed and shouldn't try to power it down. Plus, I wouldn't see the breakup every five minutes as they were more random. Also before I would only see them on one channel if I remember correctly. Anyway I'll do some more viewing to see if this setting is the culprit. I'll do a few hours with it off and on and see what's up.
Last edited by Charles R on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charles R

Next

Return to General