Best hardware for server?

General discussions over DVBLink products

Best hardware for server?

Postby mmillmor » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:59 pm

If I want a box to run DVBLink server with 2 DVB-S2 and 2 DVB-T2 channels, what's the best hardware to go for? Are any of the NAS boxes up to the job of serving all of that up at once? Is it better to go for a PC? If a PC, what sort of spec would be needed by DVBLink server for that?

Thanks

Martin
mmillmor

Re: Best hardware for server?

Postby Videonisse » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Key question you need to ask your self is which and how many clients to use and if transcoding should be supported.

Most flexibility will you have using a Win 7 PC with at least a i5 CPU. See my config in the footer. Digital Devices has the far best tuners, if I purchase new it will be DD instead of TBS (TBS are not bad but DD is just better)
Win 7 64-bit SP1, Intel i5-3570K 3,4GHz HD 4000 Graphics, 6GB, TBS 6984 S2 Quad,TBS 6280 T2 Dual
DVBLink 5.5.0 Connect & TVSource (mc_recorder), CD S Thor 0.8W,FTA Aastra 19.2E, S FTA T2, ACAMD 0.6.2
Clients iPhone 4S 5S 6S, iPad2 iOS 9,Win 7 PCs
Videonisse

Re: Best hardware for server?

Postby mmillmor » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks for that Videonisse. Yes, I ditched my faulty Blackgold card in favour of a TBS one last year, and am pretty happy with them, but it's not perfect. I hadn't heard of Digital Devices before though, so thanks for putting me on to them. From what you say, I am imaging that the NAS boxes are poor at transcoding and streaming to multiple clients at once, which rules them out for me.

Thanks

MArtin
mmillmor

Return to General