Page 1 of 1

Dvblink clients design

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 pm
by wally007
mc_recorder is needed to see recordings in MCE7 in native GUI section.

Unless DVBLink's section GUI has improved since early 4.50 version, I'd say it's huge step down in terms of design and functionality over default MCE7.
While I appreciate DVBlink's coding proves and how stable their server part is, they really cant design GUI. iPad interface / Web Interface and MCE interface are not very good looking to say the least.

nexusle wrote:Why anybody needs the mc_recorder?!

Re: Dvblink for XBMC (PVR)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 pm
by Oberon
wally007 wrote:iPad interface / Web Interface and MCE interface are not very good looking to say the least.

Just wondering what exactly don't you like for example about the iPad interface? (I hope you know how it looks like, right?)

Re: Dvblink for XBMC (PVR)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 pm
by wally007
Oberon wrote:
wally007 wrote:iPad interface / Web Interface and MCE interface are not very good looking to say the least.

Just wondering what exactly don't you like for example about the iPad interface? (I hope you know how it looks like, right?)


I do know what it looks like.

here are comparison shots from DVBlink, EyeTV & Plex on iOS.
Please let me know if you REALLY think design of the GUI and functionality of DVBLink compares favorably. (peruse the screenshots for usability buttons)

DVBlink Guide: ( I must say Color pallet for Programming categories is extra unpleasing )

Image

vs

EyeTV NOW PLAYING (missing in DVBlink):

ImageImage

EyeTV Guide: (I'd say this is best feature):

ImageImage


DVBLink Scheduled Recordings ( only upcoming recordings very basic layout - no way to play MCE recordings)

Image

EyeTV Recordings and Scheduled recordings ( ability to stream recordings to iPad ):

Image
Image

Search tab in DVBlink:

Image

Search integrated: ( no need for extra tab ! )

Image
Image

OSD ( Completely missing in DVBlink )

Image


I hope above is not taken personally. Not everyone has design skills just like not everyone has brains for coding...

Re: Dvblink for XBMC (PVR)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:28 pm
by Oberon
wally007 wrote:here are comparison shots from DVBlink, EyeTV & Plex on iOS.
Please let me know if you REALLY think design of the GUI and functionality of DVBLink compares favorably. (peruse the screenshots for usability buttons)

Yes, from the screenshots below I really think that our guide screen of IPad app is way better than both eyetv and plex. Of course it is a matter of taste.

Re: Dvblink for XBMC (PVR)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 pm
by wally007
Umm okay that's say alot.

Oberon wrote:
wally007 wrote:here are comparison shots from DVBlink, EyeTV & Plex on iOS.
Please let me know if you REALLY think design of the GUI and functionality of DVBLink compares favorably. (peruse the screenshots for usability buttons)

Yes, from the screenshots below I really think that our guide screen of IPad app is way better than both eyetv and plex. Of course it is a matter of taste.

Re: Dvblink clients design

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:09 pm
by danee
Sure, some things are a matter of taste, though in the images below (Oberon, are you using a reader that displays newer messages on top?) you can also see some additional functionality (the day selection buttons) which have nothing to do with taste but usability. I would very much like such additions to the ipad app too. And in my taste the EyeTV guide looks sleeker and user friendly too, If I had a choice in UI I would definatly go for the EyeTV UI.

Image

Image

Re: Dvblink for XBMC (PVR)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 pm
by Videonisse
Oberon wrote:Yes, from the screenshots below I really think that our guide screen of IPad app is way better than both eyetv and plex. Of course it is a matter of taste.


I believe that comment wasn't nice, do you not want constructive critics? :(

I also like the DVBLink IOS EPG layout better then the EyeTV but as Wally says, some great features are missing and why are you not happy to get suggestions of possible improvements?

Re: Dvblink clients design

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:49 pm
by Videonisse
I also use MCE as well as mc_recorder and for me it's really negative that the iOS client of DVBLink doesn't support this. For example, scheduled recordings doesn't show up in the EPG. It's also a shame that recordings can't be played from the iOS client.

I would like to use the iPad as the main GUI for management (adding and changing) of DVBLink recordings, and it needs to support all the advanced features as in MCE.

I would like to move to XBMC, as I use it for movies, but until a well working XBMC client is available that at least is as good as MCE (EPG, time-shift, recordings), I must continue to use MCE and also mc_recorder.

Another thing is that the web client doesn't has a nice GUI and I think it would be better to have the same GUI as with iOS and Android, any plan for this?

Re: Dvblink clients design

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 pm
by danee
Videonisse wrote:I also use MCE as well as mc_recorder and for me it's really negative that the iOS client of DVBLink doesn't support this. For example, scheduled recordings doesn't show up in the EPG. It's also a shame that recordings can't be played from the iOS client.

I would like to use the iPad as the main GUI for management (adding and changing) of DVBLink recordings, and it needs to support all the advanced features as in MCE.


For me scheduled recordings on my mce do show in the guide on my ipad, I've not tried scheduling on my ipad to be honest so I don't know if that works. I can live with the fact recordings can't be played on my ipad that's not something I desire to do, but I do understand others would want that.

If you want an app (ok, I agree, it's another app, how many do we need?) that has some advanced features over the dvblogic app, have a look at My Media Center by Ceton. It does require a service running on your mce but it has some nice features (though the guide function is crappier than dvblogic's)