What i have after 4 weeks using 4.5........

General discussions over DVBLink products

What i have after 4 weeks using 4.5........

Postby olli80 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:58 am

ok so i´m using version 4.5 a few weeks now.

First i was totaly impressed by all the new feature.
I have installed in my house a gigabit network with a Poweredge server in the cellar. (Xeon 2,1GHZ, 12GB Ram)

Totaly impressed by all the features I build in all TV cards in my server in the cellar and use it for recording and watching TV everywhere in my house.
After finishing we go over the reality:

Pro:
- EPG Loader for Diggiguide is great.
- the idea behind 4.5 is great.
- unicable is working.

Contra:
- the DVBLogic media library is not able to play the records on the mediacenter pc. Skip , Pause and fast forward is not working. Timeline is always 5 seconds.
- i have fragments and disturbances in my records.
- live TV streaming is not clear. A lot of fragments and disturbances. Also the Doly Digital sound is stopping for some seconds within this troubles.
- recordings can not be programmed out of a EPG grid and NOT out of mediacenter. My wife is not able to create recordings anymore (very bad). A mediacenter plugin is missing.
- watching HD TV from coded channles (sky, HD+) is causing a CPU load of ~30% for 1 stream!!!
- watching 2 HD streams at the same time is increasing the fragments and disturbances.
- watching 3 HD streams at the same time is not possible.
- the support in this forum is close to zero (i dont want to blame you Oberon, but one person it not enough)
- unicalbe setup cause my technisat router to go on error (red LED) all the time.

After spending a lot of time to get everything working i´m close to revoke all the things.
Version 4.5 is not clean and not ready for daily use.

Will there be any updates soon?
Why are the basics not working (media library, programming recordings) ?
Why is the quality of TV stream so low?

I dont understand this............ Makes me sad :(
olli80

Re: What i have after 4 weeks using 4.5........

Postby yamcenutzer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:53 am

I'll add my 4 weeks (plus the Beta) experience here to:

Summary: great SW, will continue to use, but definitely needs improvement BEFORE adding new features :wink:

I agree that the idea is great, and probably unique (as far as WMC client support goes)
I find the WMC support in the form of a dedicated client the actually unique feature which makes this stand apart from other aproaches.

After having mastered the initial setup (which IMO is not described completely and unambiogously in any document) I built myself a 4-tuner server for 2-3 WMC network clients.
2 clients were running native WMC before each with 2 tuners. I essentially only moved 2 tuners from my main WMC to my developers WMC station, which is now running as a server.

Stability is IMO still an issue.
- The DVBLink service does not start after a machine restart (times out) ---> seems to be resolved by moving dvblink to delayed group. This probably depends on your HW, but I have only 2 Digitaldevices dual tuners, so I fail to see the reason for taking so long.
- error recovery is bad, sometimes a tune fails, e.g. due to bad weather condition could lead to a play ready error
- as mentioned, plugin host comms uses a lot of CPU (30% per channel on my poor E5200), which means, I start getting problems with more than 2 crypted channels. The interesting thing here is, that the CPU load is on the server process and NOT on the pluginhost process(which has some 2-3%), which is doing the decrypt (unless you're using some weird injection scheme into main server)
- In an overload situation, when too many channels are opened it takes a long time after stopping the clients to recover. The main service AND the pluginhosts continue to hog CPU for a long time (I stopped looking after 10 mins), thus leaving the server in an unaivalable state.

The main missing feature for me still is the unreliable EPG. I quote myself from another thread here:

TBH I find the lack of opportunistic EIT scanning and guide/schedule updating a basic missing feature in tvsource/server.
Its like driving a car using a navigation system to rely on when to take a turn instead of just looking at the road in front of you.
EIT is the only real time information you get for free. It can be enhanced with what you get offline, but the actual schedule is only here, if at all. For channels with no eit you might have no other chance, but first things first. Eit is IIRC mandatory as of DVB standard.
I've been running TVsource for about 4 weeks now and have missed quite a couple of recordings due to shifted schedules.

Also the reliability of the eit scanner needs to be taken care of. It has happened twice in the last 4 weeks, that the eit scanner crashed (which can happen, after all it's not a trivial task), and did not recover, thus leaving the eit epg empty.
Worse, once it happened, that the source running the eit scanner got disabled altogether. When I looked at the config page, it claimed that the source was not configured properly. I had to open and close it again (without any changes).
I tried running with elevated logging level, but that made things worse as it was almost impossible to run 2 or more channels. I'll have to try that on a more powerful machine.

As far as Client notification goes, I can understand if DVBlogic doesn't want to further invest in hacking wmc/pbda since it has been declared dead, but at least do it for the internal database/recorder, and pass on live eit to clients that can handle it. IIRC any not completely brain damaged PVR software can and will handle eit in a live stream, just like any cheap standalone pvr device will do.
DVBLink TVSource 6, 4x DigitalDevices S2 Tuners, Win7x64, Dq77MK, e3-1225, 8GB, WMC local, WMC-remote, testing KODI usabilty for TV since 2012 - still failing...
yamcenutzer

Postby yamcenutzer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:15 pm

BTW,
as long as there is no other WMC client for a network tv server,
I don't think anybody will be listening to any of our 'experience reports'
DVBLink TVSource 6, 4x DigitalDevices S2 Tuners, Win7x64, Dq77MK, e3-1225, 8GB, WMC local, WMC-remote, testing KODI usabilty for TV since 2012 - still failing...
yamcenutzer

Postby olli80 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:02 am

yamcenutzer wrote:BTW,

Yes that is the problem.
Noone cares about.

So I have stopped using all DVB Logic products. Very bad that i have spend so much money in it. Maybe i will give it a try later on when it becomes stable and useable.

Right now I´m on Mediaportal. It is open source, free and have all the features i´m missing with DVBLogic.

Also my problem are all gone! No high cpu load, no artefacts in HD tv everything is working.
olli80

Postby wally007 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:08 am

yamcenutzer wrote:BTW,

I've been using 4.1 version with great result but lack of responses and support from DVBlink = no upgrade and no other prodcuts ( wanted to get IPTV plugin ).

When time comes to upgrade I'll be going with Ceton and elGato's FreeSat IPTV box probably but for now 4.1 is good enough.
wally007

Return to General