sky to mce

General discussions over DVBLink products

sky to mce

Postby trigger » Sun May 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Is there a way of getting legitmate sky to mce?
trigger

Re: sky to mce

Postby lukemccreanor » Tue May 15, 2012 8:36 am

trigger wrote:Is there a way of getting legitmate sky to mce?

Yes it can be done, i have it working but its not straight forward. Below is a link to a site that helped me during my set up, the dvblogic bit refers to an older version of the software but the process etc is the same just different menus. The difficult bit is the Dreambox setup and keeping your card "alive" if you have any linux experiance you'll have no problems.

Have a read and see if you're up for the challenge. If you get stuck send me a message and ill help the best i can.

http://www.richardcollins.net/etc_media ... _htpc.html

Luke
lukemccreanor

Postby tony_park » Wed May 30, 2012 8:57 am

Windows 7 Media Center in Evolve Media PC Case
Intel i3 HD2000
Dreambox Clone - CCCam 2.1.3,
TSB 6985,
Plugin: Acamd 0.6.2.0
TV Source 5.5.0
tony_park

Postby wally007 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:28 am

Reading through the theard tony_park provided, link in your post seems to be outdated. After quickly reading very confusing 100+ pages of those avsforum threads it seems there is more reliable with less components involved way to get Sky to MCE7 ( using OMNI card reader )

lukemccreanor wrote:
trigger wrote:Is there a way of getting legitmate sky to mce?

Yes it can be done, i have it working but its not straight forward. Below is a link to a site that helped me during my set up, the dvblogic bit refers to an older version of the software but the process etc is the same just different menus. The difficult bit is the Dreambox setup and keeping your card "alive" if you have any linux experiance you'll have no problems.

Have a read and see if you're up for the challenge. If you get stuck send me a message and ill help the best i can.

http://www.richardcollins.net/etc_media ... _htpc.html

Luke
wally007

Postby lukemccreanor » Thu May 31, 2012 3:21 pm

I have\tried an omnicard reader and i found there were more issues than using a dreambox.

What card server are you planning on using and will it be a native windows one or Linux one running on a VM\Physical machine?

I tried both ways, the windows one would disapear at random and require unpluging and pluging back in (not ideal if your recording something and your not there to notice) it also refused to update the entitlements. Running under a VM was more reliable but introduced a large lag in channel changes and delay in being able to watch something after a restart\reboot.

The dreambox i found to be rock solid, reliable and have none of the issues above. It also costs roughly the same as an omnicard reader but is also a dedicated linux machine made for the job. I had mine in the kitchen hooked up a old LCD tv that only had a scart input. only real downside is that it connects over the network so it takes up one switchport and may need a cable running in depending on where you put it.

On a seperate note, if you havent yet got a sat tuner i highly recomend the digital devices cine s2 V6. There expensive but its well worth it. i originally had a TBS 6981 but theres a couple of issues with channel change speed (more in these forums) and every few days in the morning i'd put a channel on and it would just give me a black screen but the time, duration and guide would act like it was showing the program. Only thing that would fix it was a restart. Also once every couple of weeks a random scheduled recroding would be the top 5% of the screen smeared down the entire screen. It's hard to describe but think a wet painting and someone has poured water over it and its all run. I dont get any of that the digital devices, channel changes are faster than a sky box (after you've been on that channel at least once already) and i dont remeber the last time i had to restart the PC, probably when i swapped the cards over.
lukemccreanor

Postby lewer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:58 am

i've been using an omnicard reader for about 9 months now and it causes no problems (cost £10 off ebay). The trick i found was to get the right version of oscam as some will just crash randomly.
I use acamd to pass the request to oscam using the newcamd protocol (all within a single windows 7 installation)
Also the enititlements update fine so no need to pop the card back in the sky box.

I will echo the above though, the digital devices cine s2 v6 cards are far superior to the TBS6981 (if only for the channel change speed)
lewer

Postby tups » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 pm

lewer wrote:i've been using an omnicard reader for about 9 months now and it causes no problems (cost £10 off ebay). The trick i found was to get the right version of oscam as some will just crash randomly.

I am about to go from Virgin over to Sky so preparing the hardware changes I need to integrate into DVBLogic :P

Which version of oscam did you find the best in the end? When you say it causes no problems I assume you mean you have no problems with it crashing and entitlements update ok?
Server: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Digital Devices Cine S2 V6, TVSource 4.5, Digiguide Plugin 4.5, Connect Server 4.5.
Clients: Mac Mini (Win7 Media Center), XBox 360 Extender, iPad2, iPhone4.
tups

Postby lewer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:56 pm

i'm using "OSCAM 1.10rc-svn build #5983" running on W7 x64.
i can't remember the last time i had any problems with oscam, it just works. the only thing i have done extra is to install oscam as a service, and then put it on a delayed start - if it starts before the card reader has initialised on system startup then you can get problems.
Entitlements update fine - they've just updated today until the middle of august. they normally update about 2 weeks before expiration.
it is nice having not seen my sky box since last september!
lewer

Return to General